Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
I think the "problem" with the Mazda design may be that it's designed very efficiently from the start. There just aren't many aspects of the design that scream for improvement. Gains can be had, but they generally don't come cheap.

·
Registered
530 Posts
[quote author=mark_byers39 link=topic=136582.msg2948967#msg2948967 date=1235099658]
[quote author=boomhauer link=topic=136582.msg2948240#msg2948240 date=1235081856]
I think the "problem" with the Mazda design may be that it's designed very efficiently from the start. There just aren't many aspects of the design that scream for improvement. Gains can be had, but they generally don't come cheap.
[/quote]

While the design may not scream for improvement factory tunes are always on the weak side, unless it happens to be some sort of performance machine. While these cars perform great for what they are we all have to admit that they they can be greatly improved upon. The gains aren't to be had cheaply because no companies seems to be interested in making any parts for these cars in the ECU realm. That's why the ECU has to be piggy backed to make any tuning gains. I think once you add a piggy back system then you can reach 200hp with the right bolt-ons and you might even gain more with a e85 setup. I'm thinking with that combination you can take the car beyond 200hp because then you can change the timing and fuel curves which is where the factories "de-tune" their cars to begin with. It might not be reachable with bolt-ons because of how the car was done out of the factory but it can be done without any internals too. That's my thoughts though.
[/quote]

Yeah, my comment was based mainly on bolt-ons and limited (so far) engine management options. I actually like how the car drives, and am more in "tweaking" mode since most current performance options provide low return on investment, at least to me. But if you guys start reporting good results with jet or cp-e, I might reconsider.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I dunno man, the advanced timing mod gives 3-5 hp/torque, and is truly invisible to the ecu - which is a good thing. I'd start with that before shelling out 270 smackeroos....

·
Registered
530 Posts
[quote author=Dyereve01 link=topic=136582.msg3318522#msg3318522 date=1252564657]
advanced timing mod has me a bit worried.[/quote]

I was also leery about the timing mod at first, but it really is a sweet mod for a standard 3. The advance is modest, but the improvement is noticeable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.