Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing a little research through the boards here and have noticed that there seems to be a common consensus among everyone that the 200hp mark beyond reach without the add of a power adder. I think that is for the most part due to the fact that there is no programmer or chip out there for the car. I'm planning on doing some add-ons such as CAI, exhaust, and maybe a header later on. I've also found a "programmer" of sorts through JET that is suppose to work with a number of different cars so with all that called a Jet V Force plus Performance Module, though I can't say what kind of numbers it's going to give you. With all that done, shouldn't I see an increase in power in the neighborhood of about 185+? Any feedback would be great.

·
Registered
61 Posts
185+

doubtful

·
Registered
9,276 Posts
people are extremly happy with 168 apparently, huge gains just arent there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm perfectly fine with the car's power now I'm just curious as to why getting power out of this car seems to be such a problem. The car is nimble it seems such a shame that getting power out of it is such a struggle. I guess I'm just use to Hondas and Nissians where power is just a motor swap away lol. I still love my Mazda though, it's an awesome car.

·
Registered
9,276 Posts
lol get a known brand. microtech is pretty popular all be it expensive.
check out mazda3online.com they got it all plus reviews

·
Registered
320 Posts
My understanding is that getting additional power out of this car is difficult because it hasn't been widely embraced by the aftermarket parts vendors like it should have been - we simply don't have as many options as the "Legomobiles" (Hondas) and those we do have tend to cost more.

·
Registered
789 Posts
someone buy the jet ecu and if it works you will be the leader in a whole new craze. im just not willing to dish out 300 bills for something that hasent been tried.. but hey if someone tries it and it produces 185+ numbers ill purchase it right away :lol:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is the same thing I ran into another car before I got into the hondas, that car shall remain nameless but it was built within the some motor company shall we say. There was nothing available for the car and it seemed the aftermarket world treated the car like it was a bastard child for some unknown reason. I hope that they get the hint sooner or later, preferably sooner, so that we can get to having even more fun with these cars. Till then, do what we can with what we got I guess and enjoy it!

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I wouldn't put too much faith into what Jet Chips Power Programmer claim they can do for our cars. So far no one that we know of is using Jet Chips on this forum. If your looking into doing some tuning with future bolt ons look into, CPe a/f/timing, Split Second A/F controller, AEM fuel and ignition controller, XFC fuel computer or Microtech standalone. Reguardless of what the noobs say there is potential, it just depends on how much your willing to pay. :)

·
Registered
2,087 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
[quote author=blankets3 link=topic=136582.msg2945977#msg2945977 date=1235002943]
[quote author=supercharged link=topic=136582.msg2944090#msg2944090 date=1234928193]
Check it out http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/QQMazdaQQ3QQJet_ChipsQQPower_ProgrammerQQ20042007QQJ2065002.html

The site says that this works on the 3.. Whether or not it actually does is a different story
[/quote]

are these things even worth it ?
[/quote]

It is if it actually works but I dont know if anyone has even tried Jet products on the 3.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[quote author=akaveli link=topic=136582.msg2945966#msg2945966 date=1235002713]
I wouldn't put too much faith into what Jet Chips Power Programmer claim they can do for our cars. So far no one that we know of is using Jet Chips on this forum. If your looking into doing some tuning with future bolt ons look into, CPe a/f/timing, Split Second A/F controller, AEM fuel and ignition controller, XFC fuel computer or Microtech standalone. Reguardless of what the noobs say there is potential, it just depends on how much your willing to pay. :)
[/quote]

Who sells these, how much does it take to put them in, do you need dyno time to tune them, and what kind of money are you looking at?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2000 focus. After $10K in a fully built motor/trans LSD clutch 15-PSI JRSC and a 75-shot of Nitrous I still found myself getting my ass handed to me by lesser built cars. That being said I would only go Turbo at this point on my 3. However I do not feel like getting divorced so it will sta N/A until I buy my speed3 or WRX very soon. Now the Focus walked all over my 3 because I had both at the same time, but $10K into my turbo3 would be around 400WHP for sure not the best of 232WHP I had on the focus, keep in mind the stock focus dyno'd out at 103 WHP, not the 130+ our cars come stock with.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[quote author=alpinemz3 link=topic=136582.msg2946403#msg2946403 date=1235014180]
I had the same problem with my 2000 focus. After $10K in a fully built motor/trans LSD clutch 15-PSI JRSC and a 75-shot of Nitrous I still found myself getting my ass handed to me by lesser built cars. That being said I would only go Turbo at this point on my 3. However I do not feel like getting divorced so it will sta N/A until I buy my speed3 or WRX very soon. Now the Focus walked all over my 3 because I had both at the same time, but $10K into my turbo3 would be around 400WHP for sure not the best of 232WHP I had on the focus, keep in mind the stock focus dyno'd out at 103 WHP, not the 130+ our cars come stock with.
[/quote]

Hmm, seems to be a underlying theme with anything associated with FoMoCo, capable of so much but yet the cost is astronomical to get to it LOL. I grew up in drag racing and it was always the same, the FoMoCo boys were bad to the bone and had deep pockets too.
So back to the topic at hand.... from what I'm understanding about these cars though is that there isn't a plug and play programmer, yet! If you want to tune one of these things, you gotta get a stand alone ECU set up. Geez, I think I need to win a lottery somewhere and fast LOL.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I've emailed V-Chip multiple times and they have yet to reply back. I just asked a few questions on how it all works. Only thing I don't like about the v-chip setup is that when you buy this kit they send u an empty box so you can take out your ECU and mail it off to V-Chip they do their thing and ship it back to you. There is no actual testing while the ECU is in the car so if you get it back and it doesn't work not only are you out $400 you are also out an ECU...... Definitely not worth it in my opinion....

My friend has his F-350 turbo diesel chipped by them and he got a TON of torque and some hp from it. But it wasn't an ECU flash it was a chip that you just plug in.

·
Registered
186 Posts
[quote author=prototype99 link=topic=136582.msg2946985#msg2946985 date=1235054175]
I've emailed V-Chip multiple times and they have yet to reply back. I just asked a few questions on how it all works. Only thing I don't like about the v-chip setup is that when you buy this kit they send u an empty box so you can take out your ECU and mail it off to V-Chip they do their thing and ship it back to you. There is no actual testing while the ECU is in the car so if you get it back and it doesn't work not only are you out $400 you are also out an ECU...... Definitely not worth it in my opinion....

My friend has his F-350 turbo diesel chipped by them and he got a TON of torque and some hp from it. But it wasn't an ECU flash it was a chip that you just plug in.
[/quote]

That would be nice if we could just pop in a chip it be very convienent but no it's gotta be more complicated than that. Most of those chips are already pre-programmed which is a major plus unless you wanna program everything yourself.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I think the "problem" with the Mazda design may be that it's designed very efficiently from the start. There just aren't many aspects of the design that scream for improvement. Gains can be had, but they generally don't come cheap.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts