Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, around 11:30pm on Friday, I was coming home from work. I was coming around a relatively sharp bend at around 30-35mph and a deer jumped out in front of my, less than a car length away.. I swerved to about avoid the bastard but I hit a big patch of gravel. This completely unsettled the car and resulted in a massive snap oversteer 360* slide through the bend for about 30 feet and then smashed over a curb into a field..... I managed to get the car out of the field and off the curb. Since it was so dark I couldn't see the damage up front. So I tried driving sown the road to hear for any "looseness". It turns out my rear right wheel went into my fender lining and due to the sheer force of hitting the curb, the wheel had positive camber and it was bent inward as if it is "turned". My entire rear suspension is shot short of the crossmember, hopefully. The tires are done, I'll need at least 2 new wheels, oh and when my drive wheels are straight, my steering wheel is at a 45* angle. So that most likely means front suspension damage and everything will need to be realigned. I called my Dad and the convo basically went like this:
"Hello...?"
"Dad, I wrecked the car."
"Where are you?"
"In "The Lakes" taking a shortcut home"
"ummm"
"Deer jumped out and I hit gravel."
"Is it driveable?"
"Hell no! Well, barely. maybe""
"Shit...Limp it home, I guess?"
"Fuck....."
So, we got it home, eventually. I "topped out" at 18mph with the flashers on the entire way. So, we got a rough appraisal on the damage. Shocks, LCAs, well.... basically everything south of the crossmember is done. I'm thinking of upgrading and just paying the difference out of my pocket. So I need some recommendations
I'm thinking Koni Yellows, Buying aftermarket rims/ tires (OEM rims were quoted @ $450 per corner!), maybe adjustable camber links(I'm going lower eventually?), and I don't know a damn thing about Lower control arms options... I'm waiting for the call so we can get it towed to the shop and getting our Insurance fella out here for actual numbers and options. Can you give me some opinions/options/experience on this?

·
Registered
10,527 Posts
Damn dude, that sucks a lot. Next time that happens, don't swerve. Just nail the brakes and hope you slow down enough.

Definitely talk to the guys working on your car about ordering those aftermarket parts. I know plenty of people have done that.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
it is easy to say "swerve" or clip the deer but we're conditioned, as motorists, to try to avoid things on the road. he probably just acted out of instinct.

that being said, given insurance, i think you'll find most aftermarket parts are an upgrade and actually cheaper than oem parts.

·
Registered
483 Posts
i know when i hit my deer there were 3 in a row on a 2 lane hwy and i kinda didn't have time to react and knew i was going to hit one so i picked the one in front of me so not to be unsettled during the impact. but yes not swerving is the best option </off topic>

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
[quote author=biped link=topic=136436.msg2940700#msg2940700 date=1234817938]
it is easy to say "swerve" or clip the deer but we're conditioned, as motorists, to try to avoid things on the road. he probably just acted out of instinct.[/quote]

For sure, a lot of times it IS better to avoid something on the road. If you see a moose in front of you for example. This is just one of the few times it's better to hit the damn thing.

·
Registered
10,527 Posts
[quote author=biped link=topic=136436.msg2940700#msg2940700 date=1234817938]
it is easy to say "swerve" or clip the deer but we're conditioned, as motorists, to try to avoid things on the road. he probably just acted out of instinct.

that being said, given insurance, i think you'll find most aftermarket parts are an upgrade and actually cheaper than oem parts.
[/quote]

I know it's instinct to swerve, but you can always learn/be taught to not swerve. I was taught that if there's something in the road like a deer, do not swerve around it. That was pounded in my head by my driving instructor, parents, reading, etc. And it stuck with me when I came face-to-face with a deer. My first reaction was to hit the brakes and my second reaction was to go straight. I slowed down enough to just bump the deer without hurting it or my vehicle.

Figured I could simply pass along that advice to him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.