Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm new to the forum and was wondering if someone can help with understanding what I would need to install a Mazdaspeed 3 OEM exhaust to my 2008 Mazda 3 2.3L Hatchback. I've done some searches and can only come up with they are different lengths.

Do I need to get the complete assembly from the Speed Headers (1) to the Muffler (7) or just the exhaust starting from the second Cata (7)?

I figured adding the Mazdaspeed 3 diagram image would help with understanding what I should buying for the install.

Thanks for any and all advice!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Is your exhaust damaged or needing replacement? Or are you wanting to get the look of the Mazdaspeed? Just a thought, don’t roast me.... why not replace the exhaust with original, except for the last muffler which is a Mazdaspeed piece. You should be able to find an exhaust shop that can do whatever you want. Oh yes, btw-new OEM parts are very pricey. Buy used if you can find good parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My current exhaust is stock oem and I want to swap it for the Speed oem, so would I just need part 7? Having little to no luck with finding a used one.

·
Registered
724 Posts
You could cut the last muffler( about 2 to 2.5 feet long?) that exits under the back bumper and have it welded to your existing exhaust-after you remove your original one. Any decent muffler shop can handle that.
As for finding the Speed exhaust, they’re out there used. Just keep your eyes open and watch online like ebay, craigslist or facebook Mazdaspeed sites.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could cut the last muffler( about 2 to 2.5 feet long?) that exits under the back bumper and have it welded to your existing exhaust-after you remove your original one. Any decent muffler shop can handle that.
As for finding the Speed exhaust, they’re out there used. Just keep your eyes open and watch online like ebay, craigslist or facebook Mazdaspeed sites.

So I never knew there were different exhaust and I live in CA.

I have the first diagram and just found a seller for the Speed second diagram. Will installation be just bolt on or would I need to have some custom work done to fit?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Without comparing the exhausts side to side, I can’t begin to guess that it will bolt on. The O2 sensors could be in different spots, the downpipe could be shorter or longer. The flanges could be clocked differently. I imagine that you’re going to run into tuning issues as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So i dug some images up and looks like it should fit with some slight modifications?

First image is what looks to be the current style of exhaust with some changes (not mine).

Second image looks to be the Speed OEM exhaust.

From what i can see on other diagrams, the O2 sensors should be in the same locations where the header connects to the Cat.

·
Registered
724 Posts
If it were me, I’d just find the part that goes from the rear area back and have it welded on. You’re not going to get an increase in horsepower by putting a full Mazdaspeed exhaust on. In my experience, exhaust mods that big have been nothing but headaches. Just my .02.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I just noticed that you’re in Cali, you know that you’re going to have issues when inspection time comes around... right?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From what I've read on the forums and various websites, I only have to worry about the noise not exceeding 95 dbA (which is Motorcycle level noise). Average traffic noise is 70-75 and I'm not straight piping or resonator deleting to increase noise. Just want the OEM fell and look.

2 cents is always appreciated :D

Im thinking about just welding from the second resonator back as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts