Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:drool:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i agree with you. i need to get the tires mounted on the rims first. hopefully all of this will happen this coming week.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well today i installed the coil overs. im soooooo tired. started at like 8:30 and didnt finish until about 3:30. had trouble with the 1st rear and the 1st front, but then after that everything went together rather quickly. they say the second time is always faster. everything is set at stock hieght, gonna let them settle before i put the car on the scales to balance the car and lower it. other then that the ride quality is slighty more tighter and a tad bit bouncy. I can live with that plus it makes the car feel like the car should feel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
did you really pay $3000 for those? I went lookin for prices for them and thats what they wanted. :shock:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Zoom - Thank you for that thumbs up.

Rag - No way in hell i would pay 3000 bucks for a suspension. I looked high and low for the best price on MazdaSpeed suspension. Just about every dealer here in Cali wanted the suggested retail price of 1600 bucks. I found a Mazda dealer that wanted 1320 bucks for them. Thats the best price I found.

http://www.trussvillemazda.com/pages/page.cfm?pageid=141985&pagetype=30&featureid=-1

Midnight - Yeah the MazdaSpeed suspension looks so much better in person. They are actually lighter then the stock suspension and more robust. I hope it looks sick cause when im done i want to see this :bowdown:

:chuckles: just kidding. im glad you all are enjoying these build up posts.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Fuckin jealous. Good luck with the install, looking foward to pics.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Wow, so nice...looks much better than my H&R....hmmm, damn it....

Just a small request, but when you finish installing the rear spring perch, can you take a picture of it? I think I might have done my install slightly weird....

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sorry finix0 but everything was installed before you posted. but maybe i can help you with the rear spring perch anyways. what seems to be the problem you are having?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Well, it's not a problem, but I just want to clarify something about my install, because I'm just anal that way...:D

The way I have my spring installed, if you look at the car from the behind, the spring perch sits on the top of suspension (so, where the stock rubber silencer thingy was) and the bare spring sits on the bottom of the car (lower control arm, I think the term is).

But I found that in order to adjust the height of the back, I have to take the lower control arm off, adjust the perch, and bolt it back up. I found this to be, well pretty stupid. I was wondering if the spring perch actually sit on the control arm instead and the bare metal part of the spring sits on top....

I'm not sure if my explanation is good enough, so I'll graphically demonstrate.
My current setup looks like this in the back.

------ <=--Spring Perch
\----/ <=--Spring Perch
------ <=--Spring
------
------
------ <=--Spring

But I was wondering it should be installed like this.

------ <=Spring
------
------
------ <=--Spring
/----\ <=--Perch
------ <=--Perch

Des this make sense??

·
Registered
610 Posts
Oh, btw, I didn't find any clunking noise or anything in this setup. Just the annoyance of adjusting height, that is all..

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The spring perch is supposed to go on the lower control arm. with the spring sitting on the perch.

------ <=Spring
------
------
------ <=--Spring
/----\ <=--Perch
------ <=--Perch

The rubber piece sits on top of the spring.
now the perch (if you have the mazdaspeed one) has to be slightly taken apart. you need to remove the 3 hex screws with the star lock washers. those hold a gold color plate to the perch. its only about a little more then 1/8 inch thick. sit the perch into the lower control arm then attach the plate and 3 screws you removed earlier under the lower control arm to the perch sitting on top of the lower control arm. that plate locks the perch onto the lower control arm. hand tighten the screws and center the perch in the lower control arm. once centered torque the 3 screws to 11 foot pounds. ill try my hand at graphically explaining it to you.

top of car
==== <---rubber piece that sits on top of spring.
----- <---spring
-----
-----
-----
/---\ <---perch
|____| <---Lower control arm
--- <---perch locking plate
--- <---3 star lock washers
::: <---3 hex head screws

man i hope thats understandable lol

·
Registered
610 Posts
Wow, mazdaspeed coilovers are designed so much better than mine. Mine doesn't have any mounting hardware for the spring perch to the lower control arm or anywhere. It's just a threaded base with a spring seat. Oh, btw, I removed the rubber piece so I can go lower. There isn't any visible damage to the spring or the top where the spring sits so I think there isn't any harm in it.

Next time I adjust the height, which won't be so far off, I'll install it your way and see how it goes. By the way, can you adjust the rear height without taking the control arm down?? I'm curious to see how that works for Mazdaspeed ones...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
glad i could help somewhat finix.

Yeah i can adjust the rear height without taking anything apart. the perch has a threaded rod on the bottom of the perch and all i need to do it turn it with a hex key. its completely accessible from the under the car.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Damn...that's a really nice touch...I hate to take my suspension apart everytime I want to lower 0.5 inches...hmm...maybe I can just buy the perches only...nagh....

Thanks for the help mirancer...very appreciated....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts