Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this Mazda3 forum. I looked for a troubleshooting sub-forum but couldn't find one. If this in the wrong place, please let me know!

I have a 2014 Mazda 3i Touring. I bought it new. A year or two ago, I noticed that sometimes the lock button in the door handle didn't work: it was silent, with no click. Strangely, the next day, or later that same day, it might work again. I could open the door manually by using the metal key out of the key fob. Sometimes the ignition wouldn't work if I pressed the starter button with my finger, but I could make the car start by holding the key fob against the starter button and pressing. The car would start right up, so the car battery wasn't dead. I tried changing the key fob battery, but that didn't help.

Recently it's gotten more strange. When the button on the door handle didn't work, the unlock button on the key fob would work...but not always. Typically, later that day the door button, and probably the key fob "open" button, would start to work. My car battery was pretty old, so I replaced it... that didn't help. Sometimes both the door button and the unlock button on the key fob would both fail to work, but so far I've always been able to start the car by pressing the key fob against the starter button. (I hope that never fails! I'm concerned that it might... and I would be stranded.)

I called the dealer and asked whether, if the problem occurs, I could bring the car in immediately and hope they could track it down while the problem is still happening. They said no, I'd have to wait my turn... I could wait half a day and, if they couldn't reproduce the problem then, I'd have wasted half a day. Such a helpful attitude!! 馃槨

I'd be glad for any advice on what could be wrong and what to do about it. (Some mechanics would probably replace every part of the lock/ignition system and "hope it helps". I'm trying to avoid that.) Thanks!

Registered
Although I searched for other posts about this, the system found one I didn't: "Sporadic problem with keyless entry and ignition" from August 8, 2014: Sporadic problem with keyless entry and ignition. There was no solution posted, so I've written to JonLN to ask if he got any answers.
I know you already changed the fob battery but those are the exact symptoms the manual for the 2019 lists for dead/dying battery in the fob. Might try putting a meter on the new battery. Those button cells can be squirrelly. If it's a new 1.5 volt, it should give you >4 mA. If it's a 3 volt it should give you >8 mA.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Although I searched for other posts about this, the system found one I didn't: "Sporadic problem with keyless entry and ignition" from August 8, 2014: Sporadic problem with keyless entry and ignition. There was no solution posted, so I've written to JonLN to ask if he got any answers.
I know you already changed the fob battery but those are the exact symptoms the manual for the 2019 lists for dead/dying battery in the fob.
Thanks for the tip, @whizfish. That makes sense. The key fob is like the car's master lock. It sends out a signal saying "the owner is here" so the car doors will unlock, etc. If the fob isn't working right, it could cause all of these problems! I called the dealer; they said I should try using the other fob I got with the car. I'll try it and aim to report back here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts