Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I decided to light up my front grill with these nifty littly LED strips I found. I friend lent me his garage and tools so I took the opportunity to fix up the switches in my car as well.
These LEDs light up like I've never seen any others light up before! They were $20 per foot which is really expencive but I've tracked down the company who makes them so I will try to contect them directly and see if i can get a whole role for cheap.

AND now for the switches, I bought red LED switches to match the dashboard lights.

Inside the bumper, What i did is i glued 2 strips and then I tie-wrapped them on firmly. The big ball of tape is a plastic 3 wire connector which puts silicone on the wires but the LEDs lit it up (transparent plastic) and it looked weird, so I taped it. (the car is dirty because its winter and the snow has started melting. There's calcium everywhere)

And now the whole set up. (the lights are reflected on ice so they give off a more dramatic effect)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice setup bro. I like where you placed the lights so you can't see them directly. Those look like the strips you can get from oznium.com. Is that where you got them from? Thats usually where I go to get my led stuff. I think blue is going to be my color of choice whenever I get my ms3.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.
I got the LEDs at a little local garage, so not at oznium. I aimed for a reflection in the radiator, I find that seeing the bulbs isn't as nice as seeing a glow.
I went for black car, blue LEDs. Originally i went for red but I didn't really like the interior lit up in red, it made me feel like I was in a photo room =P

Hmm now I need an open mouth grill =]

·
Registered
110 Posts
[quote author=madmax12ca link=topic=135962.msg2928528#msg2928528 date=1234330507]
Thanks.
I got the LEDs at a little local garage, so not at oznium. I aimed for a reflection in the radiator, I find that seeing the bulbs isn't as nice as seeing a glow.
I went for black car, blue LEDs. Originally i went for red but I didn't really like the interior lit up in red, it made me feel like I was in a photo room =P

Hmm now I need an open mouth grill =]
[/quote]

If that's the equivalent of a 3i, then hop in on the group buy in my sig! :p

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
so this is what it looks like when a color explodes :drool:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I remember a few people were looking for a DIY guide for this last year. If someone wants a lit up front grill. I'll more than happy to take quick pictures of where the wires are passed and such to get them inside the car. No holes were made in the firewall and no wires are visible when looking down at the engine.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Question:

When you wired the switch, did you put both (led ground and ground for switch) to the negative battery terminal? Or did you ground them to the chassis? I've been holding off on doing this because of the weather but it looks like it's warming up so I might as well try to get this done either today or tomorrow :p

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I grounded on the chasis. If you open the drivers door, take away the plastic at the feet, then the plastic beside that (to the left of the footwell) you will find a bolt with a few wires grounded. I undid the bolt and added my switch and LED grounds to the collection.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts