Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please explain to me the difference between the listings of MS3, M3F, etc.

I am new at this and although I have been doing a lot of reading I can not seem to figure out what all of these mean.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply

Are there different listings for the hatch and the sedan?

I am trying to figure out the mods that I am wanting to do for my car and so I am seeing parts listed under different categories. In order to figure out what parts I need to know if they will fit my car or not.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
No, usually if something only works for either the hatch or the sedan, or only with one of the specific engine variants, it will be stated clearly. A lot of parts work equally well on all models.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain a little bit.

I recently 'inherited an '04' Sedan, 2.0 Auto. I initially bought the car for my wife, but then after hearing her complain forever about wanting an SUV, I finally bought her a jeep and I took the car. I like the car, but it is a little gutless. Being that it is an auto it rarely ever gets beyond 3000 rpm.

My question is, is there any point in trying to mod this car, other than asthetics? Does the small gains from a CAI justify the cost or is it just a case of 'keepin up with the jones' if you know what I mean?

It seems that the standard list of bolt ons is:

CAI
Voltage Stabilizer
Plug Wires (although I am not sure which product)
Some kind of cat-back
HID Conversion
BLAH
BLAH
BLAH

Do any of these things really make a difference in the car? Honestly?

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
No, it will still feel slow no matter what you do power-wise to a 2.0 auto, short of a turbo/supercharger kit. Some people actually see a slight loss of torque below 3k RPMs with many of the popular catback and CAI setups. Of course, they get them for the gains in the higher rev range and don't care about that.

As an average, sane, intelligent and mature person driving the car on the streets daily, it's definitely not worth spending any money on performance parts for pure performance reasons. The main reason to get a CAI or exhaust would be for the better engine sound and slightly better throttle response.

The HID upgrade you mentioned though, if your car only came with halogens stock, would be a great mod. They make a huge difference in visibility, and look awesome from the outside too. And there's plenty of other visual / audio / cool mods you can do to make the car better for you, which you would appreciate on a daily basis more than power mods.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you very much

It is very nice to get an honest response, I appreciate it.

I do have some ideas for interior mods that I would like to test out, I will post the results good or bad!

Thanks again for your time.

·
Registered
435 Posts
M3H-SGT-P, as seen to the left of my name, is the Dealer Invoice code for my car. You won't see it used here much, but basically it means Mazda 3 Hatch, S trim (2.3 liter engine) GT Package, and P is for Manual.
An S package Touring Sedan Automatic would read as:
MZ3-ST-A

1 - 10 of 10 Posts