Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just drove the Mazda3 here in Toronto and liked the drive a lot. Afterwards I test drove an Acura EL (basically a Honda Civic) and a Corolla and boy did they seem lame after the 3.

The things I liked
- hatchback (I'm used to one)
- peppy engine
- great handling
- sporty interior and nice exterior design

The only things that bug me are:

- lack of side air bag option on the Canadian model
- no crash test results yet to go by (although the 6 does well)
- first year model car which I've never liked to buy.

·
Registered
272 Posts
no crash test results yet to go by
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) will perform the roll-over test, front impact, and side impact crashtest of the Mazda3 4-door (w/o SAB) in February/March 2004. Stay tune.

·
Registered
310 Posts
So next year's US model would be perfect for you?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Considering the design of the 3 (Volvo's hand in there) and other things like the weight sensitive passenger air bag, collapsing pedals in an accident and the overall solidness of the car I'm sure the 3 will perform quite well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
cowtown-

yah yah yah...M3 comes from a family with good legacy and there is so much hype on this car that if Mazda fails to live up to their reputation of the fun "zoom-zoom" idealogy then the whole corporation will suffer. My point is that M3 should not just satisfy the safety testing but excel it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
M3 Craz said:
cowtown-

yah yah yah...M3 comes from a family with good legacy and there is so much hype on this car that if Mazda fails to live up to their reputation of the fun "zoom-zoom" idealogy then the whole corporation will suffer. My point is that M3 should not just satisfy the safety testing but excel it.
I'm a safety freak too. Based on the new 6, RX-8, and everything I've read about the 3's structure and development, I'd say it's going to get the highest ratings possible.

There is new legislation in Europe and new legislation scheduled to go into effect in 2005 in the US, so no auto maker can afford to slack off with regard to new products.

As safety-concious as I am, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 3 without seeing the safety ratings first.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'd have to admit that having no side airbags kind of sucks, in fact I'd like to know the reasoning it's not an option but there must be some good reason for it. Looking at all the improvements to the car from a safety standpoint and how it was even better than the Pro5 I had which I felt was pretty safe made it a no brainer for me.

·
Registered
272 Posts
cowtown said:
I'd have to admit that having no side airbags kind of sucks, in fact I'd like to know the reasoning it's not an option but there must be some good reason for it. Looking at all the improvements to the car from a safety standpoint and how it was even better than the Pro5 I had which I felt was pretty safe made it a no brainer for me.
I would be very pissed off if I couldn't get side SRS. The side curtains are one of major reasons I was drawn to the 3 in the first place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts