Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
basically yesterday it rained all day heavily and i noticed this morning that my driver side front headlight was all fogged up in the inside, im assuming the result of this is its not sealed correctly, basically im wondering what u guys think i should do? Im pretty sure most of you are going to say take it to my car dealer, which most likily what im going to do anyways....which brings me to my next question, how much do you think it will cost, if anything?? is this uncommon or am i unlucky... i never had any problems with my g35 ugggg -_-

·
Registered
253 Posts
If out of warranty I would take the headlight housing off the car, fill it with water and try to find the leak, if it wasn't an obvious crack or something. Then dry it out, seal up the crack with whatever you find from lowes or home depot and re install everything. These modern headlight housings are a few hundred dollars to replace even if you find one online somewhere.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
if your 3 is under warranty, it WILL be free. i have had my headlight AND one of my tails replaced because of this. just show them and they will change it. :)

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote author=stranger706 link=topic=139533.msg3008034#msg3008034 date=1237606674]
If out of warranty I would take the headlight housing off the car, fill it with water and try to find the leak, if it wasn't an obvious crack or something. Then dry it out, seal up the crack with whatever you find from lowes or home depot and re install everything. These modern headlight housings are a few hundred dollars to replace even if you find one online somewhere.
[/quote][quote author=bms1990M3 link=topic=139533.msg3008155#msg3008155 date=1237612058]
if your 3 is under warranty, it WILL be free. i have had my headlight AND one of my tails replaced because of this. just show them and they will change it. :)
[/quote]

i still have a warranty so i mine as well jsut make those mazda dealer assholes fix it :]

·
Registered
15,112 Posts
Have you tampered with the headlight housings at all? Meaning, do you have angel eyes? If you've taken your headlights apart, chances are the seal didn't correctly fill in when you put them back together. The other thing to check is on the back of the headlight housing, there are little rubber "boots" if you will that allow air to come in/escape from the housing to keep things dry in there... if one of the boots is missing, it could be part of the problem. If you aren't sure what I'm talking about, those little boots look like a jbend, and they are made out of rubber. I'm not sure off the top of my head how many are on the housing, but I think it is at least 3.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=zoom_craigy_zoom link=topic=139533.msg3008355#msg3008355 date=1237639211]
Have you tampered with the headlight housings at all? Meaning, do you have angel eyes? If you've taken your headlights apart, chances are the seal didn't correctly fill in when you put them back together. The other thing to check is on the back of the headlight housing, there are little rubber "boots" if you will that allow air to come in/escape from the housing to keep things dry in there... if one of the boots is missing, it could be part of the problem. If you aren't sure what I'm talking about, those little boots look like a jbend, and they are made out of rubber. I'm not sure off the top of my head how many are on the housing, but I think it is at least 3.
[/quote]

no i havnt tampered with my lights at all , no angel eyes etc...i have cleaned my engine bay before but i was very carful( and used a pressure washer on low setting) and being that that I havnt done my engine bay for a month and a 1/2 and the water jsut appered ona day it rained heavily(and by heavily i mean 6 inches in 24 hours), my assumption is it wasnt relevant to me. There is devenantly no cracks in the light so its definently related to the sealent i think...those jbends look fine but ones "questionable". what would you do, you thing i could take that thing of and use my boat sealent stuff, or should i jsut take it to the dealer, if i rmemeber right the car has a 3year/36000 mile warrant, and my cars only 1 1/2 years old and 10,000 miles

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they replaced it for free, thanks for the advice guys :) although I had to keep it overnight, they apolgized and gave me a free mazda hat LOL(because I complained)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts