Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 2.3 AT and I notice that when I come to a stop (with the engine still running) I hear this metallic pinging sound. It sounds sort of like someone dropping BBs into a tin can, the sounds come at an interval of about 3 seconds, and the sounds seem to come from behind me. After I turn off the car and get out, I can hear similar sounds from outside the car that seem to come from near the exhaust. Any ideas what's going on or if this is serious?

·
Registered
14,388 Posts
Law of physics, things in motion tend to stay in motion. Maybe it's the marbles?

LOL J/K

When did you start hearing it? Have you had any work/mods done? Where is the sound coming from? When you say near the exhaust, so you mean the tailpipe?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Car is completely stock (though it is a PZEV model) and I noticed it pretty much from day one, which was only about a month ago. And yes, I do mean the tail pipe I say exhaust :) Could it be something as simple as thermal expansion noise?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same exact symptoms on my 05 2.3 AT. Took it into Mazda and they plan to replace the entire exhaust system (under warranty).... No idea what the root cause is, though....

·
Registered
14,388 Posts
holy thread revival!!

Good job using the search function though!

When you get your repair slip back, check to see everything that was replaced, maybe you can figure out what was the cause.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
Could be detonation.....no idea why a stock engine would be knocking though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts