Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am thinking of getting new rims for my 06 Mazda 3 sedan.
Here is a picture of my ride.

I have a couple of questions first, so I am looking for some help. I've already looked through the FAQ's and how to guides, but I've still got some questions as I am a rookie when it comes to wheels.

The wheels I have picked out are Stern ST-1 Face III Beast - Gloss Black
18" x 8"
5/114.3 Bolt pattern
48 Offset

From this place http://www.1010tires.com/
They are selling for $249CDN. This seems to be the best price I've found.
I am fairly sure they will fit, as other forum members have this wheel.

Do I need to buy news lugs and wheel locks? Or will the stock ones work/look good with the new rims?
Should I buy this Universal Wheel Installation kit (Tuner nuts) from the same site?
http://www.1010tires.com/accessories.asp?pid=INSTNUT%2DTUNER

Tires
Most people seem to go with a 225/40/18 tire?
I have the stock 17's and they have a profile of 205 correct?
So this will give me the same profile as stock and it won't mess up my speedometer etc?

Any other tips or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks for your help.
Boneyard

·
Registered
9,374 Posts
you will need new lugs....wheel locks are up to you

the lugs you need are: 12mm pitch 1.5" length

225/40 is the best size...your speedo will be off by 1.8mph i believe.

·
Registered
761 Posts
[quote author=the415 link=topic=72498.msg1279120#msg1279120 date=1174413939]

[/quote]

Why do you need new lugs? What is different between aftermarket and stock lugs if you don't care about locks?

You need hub centric rings also so check if they will send you some with the wheels otherwise you will have to buy a set. They will have them anywhere you can buy rims(dicount tire) or you can buy them online for like $35. Aftermarket wheels come with a larger hole than the hub of our car and these rings take up the space and prevent wobbling at highway speeds.

·
Registered
9,374 Posts
the "tuner" lugs are thinner than the factory lugs.

not all wheels need hubcentric rings.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote author=deluxe link=topic=72498.msg1279415#msg1279415 date=1174418330]

[/quote]

Why do you need new lugs? What is different between aftermarket and stock lugs if you don't care about locks?

You need hub centric rings also so check if they will send you some with the wheels otherwise you will have to buy a set. They will have them anywhere you can buy rims(dicount tire) or you can buy them online for like $35. Aftermarket wheels come with a larger hole than the hub of our car and these rings take up the space and prevent wobbling at highway speeds.
[/quote]
I do care about wheel locks, if that matters. I absolutely want them on my new rims.

The site that I was looking to order them from says that if I get tires they will mount and balance them and include "wheel nuts, hub rings, and valve stems." I assume wheel nuts are the same as lugs?

·
Registered
9,374 Posts
yes...just make sure they know what car you have and they will supply the lugs. the lugs are going to come with a specialty key. that should suffice. if you just have to get locks, get the mcgard brand. our cars come stock with mcgard locks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay the guy from 1010tires got back to and said that when I order the wheels and tires together all the hardware is included. So I assume I can use my stock lockers, right? Since I am already spending over $1800 saving any money would be great.

EDIT: Never mind answered above, thanks 415.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
[quote author=deluxe link=topic=72498.msg1279415#msg1279415 date=1174418330]

[/quote]

[/quote]

there is a difference. i am no guru, but the stock lugs are for stock wheels, and the tuner lugs are for tuner wheels. i called evasive motorsports to ask about some alex racing lugnuts, and when i told him what wheels i had(2003.5 mazdaspeed protege wheels) he told me he would not sell to me due to safety issues. i cant remember the exact wording, but i do know that he told me there are huge differences other than just the size.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks tdbab

Another question to throw out there. I am not overly concerned with performance with my tires. I am concerned about tread wear. So typically which will last longer? A summer tire or an all season tire? On 1010 tires they seem to be around the same price for either.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
summer tires should, under no circumstances, be used in snow or winter climate; such as canadia. all season tires last longer. kumho ecsta asx's are an inexpensive tire, and are also a forum favorite, check em out! and it looks like youve been on 1010tire alot, but have you looked at tirerack.com, they are very competitive and extremely knowledgeable! please keep in mind that when shopping for tires, there is no standard tests for measuring treadlife. i.e: a 420 rating with nitto may be a 340 with yokohama; thus: a 420 rated nitto will last, in essence, twice as long as a 210 rated nitto. the numbers only mean something within each respective company.

·
Registered
9,374 Posts
just to clear up, you can't/shouldn't use the stock mcgard locks on aftermarket wheels for aforementioned reasons. i was just saying that our car comes with them stock.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[quote author=trbab032886 link=topic=72498.msg1280062#msg1280062 date=1174433901]
summer tires should, under no circumstances, be used in snow or winter climate; such as canadia. all season tires last longer. kumho ecsta asx's are an inexpensive tire, and are also a forum favorite, check em out! and it looks like youve been on 1010tire alot, but have you looked at tirerack.com, they are very competitive and extremely knowledgeable! please keep in mind that when shopping for tires, there is no standard tests for measuring treadlife. i.e: a 420 rating with nitto may be a 340 with yokohama; thus: a 420 rated nitto will last, in essence, twice as long as a 210 rated nitto. the numbers only mean something within each respective company.
[/quote]
Well I wouldn't use them in the winter obviously. It's not winter here all the time.

·
Registered
297 Posts
really nice rims~

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bah ordering these wheels has been quite the process...

Now the guy at 1010tire is telling me that my tire selection of 225/40/18 is "not the recommended fitment for my car" and I should be going with a 215/40/18. I was under the impression that 225 was the recommended size for my car...What the hell? The latter choice is also $260 more for all four. I am having a tough time figuring this out so help a tire newb out here guys. Thanks.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I drive a GT Sedan with the GFX package. I recently upgraded to new wheels with 225/40/18 tires and have had no problems. My wheels are 18x7.5" with a +45 offset. I also have CMS springs (1.75" drop all around). I may experience minimal rubbing under very specific conditions (the wheel being cranked all the way while going in reverse or over a pot hole). The rubbing issue is absolutely nothing to worry about - I drive exactly the same as I did before and have had no issues or damage.

I 225/40/18 setup is fine but it also depends on what your wheels specs and your drop (if you have aftermarket springs). I am not sure how the 8" and +48 offset is going to affect your car. Is your car lowered?

·
Registered
761 Posts
225/40R18 Will be closest to stock for diameter. They are probably pushing the 215 because it is more narrow(10mm less) and a slightly lower profile(6mm less) which means technically there would be more room in there, not to mention at the same time they are making extra coin. I would stick with what you have researched and know is right and go with 225/40R18.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.