Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to lighting mods. I hear there are LED clusters you can use as direct replacements for incandescent bulbs. Do these last longer or glow brighter than regular incandescents? Anyone know where to get them? If they are worth it, I am considering using LEDs in place of the brake and signal lights. I'm going to stay away from the "questionable" colors to avoid getting pulled over.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
They fire faster... they're also expensive and not always brighter.

Personally I just don't like hte look of most LED brakelights.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I like the Cadillac's brake lights.

·
Registered
168 Posts
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
They fire faster... they're also expensive and not always brighter.

Personally I just don't like hte look of most LED brakelights.

Hey MZ6ZoomZoom,

I looked in the manual and it stated that we need 7443 bulbs for the back brake lights, and I was thinking about switching them out with 7443 LED bulbs. I've also heard somewhere that because the LEDs require less power than standard bulbs, that our light sensors might not accept the LEDs and cause a warning light on our vehicle to show that there is a burnt bulb when there isn't one. Also, if you switch out the turn signals with LEDs it will cause the signals to blink very fast as if the bulbs needed to be replace. I hope I'm making myself clear here, but I don't know how else to describe it. In other words, the LED bulbs will work but the light sensors will make the computer think that there is something wrong.

Can you provide any thoughts or references to this issue with LED bulbs?

Thanks in advance,
Spencer

·
Registered
77 Posts
Because LED use so low energy the car will think a bulb is out. Depending on the car and its warning alarms many things can happen. The bulb might flash quickly and / or produce a lamp out warning code.

You can also install special resistor packs to 'fool' the electrical system but all they do is add heat and waste energy.

My advice, dont do it. Light produced by LED's is poor compared to a traditional bulb which is much more important to alert traffic behind you vs. a millisecond improvement in lamp start time.

Only factory LED lighting is recommended. LED bulb swaps are not.

·
Registered
168 Posts
a_kaup said:
Because LED use so low energy the car will think a bulb is out. Depending on the car and its warning alarms many things can happen. The bulb might flash quickly and / or produce a lamp out warning code.

You can also install special resistor packs to 'fool' the electrical system but all they do is add heat and waste energy.

My advice, dont do it. Light produced by LED's is poor compared to a traditional bulb which is much more important to alert traffic behind you vs. a millisecond improvement in lamp start time.

Only factory LED lighting is recommended. LED bulb swaps are not.
Thanks so much...that's what I needed to hear.

BTW, I just purchased your H11 55W xenonmatch fog light bulbs.

Spencer

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
how bout putting LED's in the dome and map lights? im thinking about doing this...replacing them with pure white bulbs...imma check the manual to see whta the specs are on these bulbs..

·
Registered
168 Posts
funkyfreshmonke said:
how bout putting LED's in the dome and map lights? im thinking about doing this...replacing them with pure white bulbs...imma check the manual to see whta the specs are on these bulbs..
Will the LED bulbs work on the interior lighting? When I open my doors the interior lighting "gradually" illuminates, and I don't think you can accomplish that with LEDs. I personal think the gradual process is much nicer than the abrupt "lights ON" effect IMHO.

Spencer

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
yea good lookin out spencer, ive decided just to change the bulbs in the dome and map lights...to makei t hyper white...no leds for me...thanks to VaBoom for his input!

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
LEDs are generally good for one purpose: Speed. They arent any brighter than a regular bulb.

Oh they also dont put out as much heat as regular bulbs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i replaced my sidemarkers with hella they are black and illuminate amber when blinking..much neater than the frosted factory markers

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
LEDs work best in the spoiler brake light scenario.

·
Registered
563 Posts
i replaced my sidemarkers with hella they are black and illuminate amber when blinking..much neater than the frosted factory markers
Curious, very curious. Your side marker lenses are black, and they light up amber? Pics please, and product info if this is the case. Do they have white bulbed side marker lights?

Craig

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
smitty said:

do you have pictures of your car smitty? just curious cuz you have tons of mods already...

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Those blues are pretty cool! If they are as bright as the current lamps, I'm willing to get them. They would flow with the winning blue!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Okay, I just went out and got a pair of the Sylvania SilverStar bulbs.

I hate to say it, but they REALLY doctored the picture on the web site. They are not really that blue, they are however cool looking nevertheless. They look more like Christmas lights though! ;)

I will try to take pic of them in my car after I install. Since I hate dealing with those screws and crap to get to the lights, I may wait until my Hoen lamps get here too, and just replace everything at once.

EDIT: $19.99 USD at Kragen Auto

1 - 19 of 19 Posts