Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:twisted: i just got a brand new 2004 mazda s3, i got it in lava orange, loaded with everything i even got the rear wing spoiler along with the auto dimming mirror for free! I got a question on the lights, how come only in the US we dont have that clear LED like the jap models have? can we get them here in the US if so let me know ASAP

·
Registered
137 Posts
$700 to change your taillights?!? what are LED lights anyway? are they brighter than the regular ones?

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LED

$700 bucks? i would get them cuz i like the way they look, where can you order them? and are they legal here in the states? how come so many people say they are not bright enough

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
2004 Mazda S3, Lava orange, 4 dr sdn, 5spd, xenons, sport pkg, 6 disc changer, sunroof, spoiler, dimming mirror

·
Registered
245 Posts
Can someone post a side by side of a US M3s with the black tail lights compared to the LED tail lights? I don't think I've ever seen the difference.

Also, isn't there an issue with the turn indicators not registering that enough electircal output is being used and tricking the car into thinking that means the light is malfunctioning causing the blinker on the dash to flash rapidly or something like that? I think I read something like that somewhere.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Also, isn't there an issue with the turn indicators not registering that enough electircal output is being used and tricking the car into thinking that means the light is malfunctioning causing the blinker on the dash to flash rapidly or something like that? I think I read something like that somewhere.
LED's draw less power making the vlinker think the bulb is out. A resistor is needed in the line to make up for the lower power draw. LED's I don't believe are any brighter(dependant on the cluster size) however they do respond quicker, and usually last longer, plus have a lower power draw.

Craig

·
Registered
432 Posts
$700USD = $1000CAD !!! for a set of taillights that's rediculous.

do they charge 500 USD for shipping? :shock:

·
Registered
245 Posts
The clear LED are definately cool, but a few questions still remain.

Are they legal in the states? Or certains states perhaps?

Do they mess with the electronics system because of the lower power consumption causing the system to believe there is a malfunction and the fast-blinking on the dash? If so, is there a way to remedy that problem?

Why are they so freakin expensive? Where are people trying to buy them from?

·
Registered
137 Posts
the don't look that nice. having all clear lights in the back makes it a little too bland.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like the way the LED lights look, i've seen LED's on a nissan maxima and they were hot, and when i saw the LED's on the 3 from japan's model axela, i just think it looks sharp, but no one has mention if they are legal yet in the states?

-------------------------------------
2004 mazda s3, 4dr sdn, 5sp, sunroof, 6disc, Sport pkg, Spoiler, dimming mirror, xenon's. lava orange, with black and red interior

·
Registered
563 Posts
The lights pull a low draw of power, therefore making the blinker module think the light is out which causes it to blink fast. To overcome this, a resistor is needed in the line or the blinker has to be replaced with an electronic(i think) one. As far as legallity. I know plenty of Jeepers that run flush mount LED's and they're goin on my Jeep too. Plenty of big rigs run them to. It may depend on the brightness and size of the cluster, but I don't think they're illegal.

Craig

·
Registered
432 Posts
AxelaSpeed said:
I like the way the LED lights look, i've seen LED's on a nissan maxima and they were hot, and when i saw the LED's on the 3 from japan's model axela, i just think it looks sharp, but no one has mention if they are legal yet in the states?
A lot of cars and trucks are using LEDs .. even buses.. and the new BMW M3 are having LED taillights too.. they're so cool... and the Acura TL.. Infinity G35.. just almost all the new expensive cars ... i think it should be legal.

·
Registered
245 Posts
LED lights are okay in the states as long as they're colored. I believe if the lights are clear until illuminated, and then they turn red, like the clear ones in the picture of the european hatch above... then I dont think they're legal.

·
Registered
432 Posts
FatMorbo said:
LED lights are okay in the states as long as they're colored. I believe if the lights are clear until illuminated, and then they turn red, like the clear ones in the picture of the european hatch above... then I dont think they're legal.
the LED taillights on the european Sport will light up in RED.

This is nonofx22's Sport:

·
Registered
947 Posts
The law only says that you have to have *some* red reflector in the rear of the car, which the Mazda3 has with those two lower red strips. This is true for most new cars. The new Lexus RX SUV has all-clear rear light clusters.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thats sweet then!, do u know where and when these will be available in the US to buy?

-----------------------
2004 mazda 3, 4dr, 5spd, sunroof, 6disc, sport pkg, auto dimming mirror w/ homelink, rear wing spoiler, lava orange.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I guess never. This is the reply from Mazda USA.

"Thank you for contacting Mazda North American Operations. I appreciate
the opportunity to respond to you.

In regards to your inquiry, there is no indication that Mazda North
American Operations will ever have an LED combination tail light
assembly for sale in the U.S.. Certainly, you are welcome to stay
updated through the Parts Department of your local Mazda dealership
(the only place where Mazda parts may be obtained). Understand that not
all features of internationally available vehicles will (or under
regulation CAN) ever be offered in North America. The LED tail lights
on some international vehicles are not expected for sale here."

1 - 20 of 36 Posts