Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
ah ok. i would assume it's the same as changing any other headlight bulb, but i haven't looked at the 2010+ headlights so idk

·
Registered
1 Posts
You just take hold of the bulb, wiggle back and forth, and pull. I've replaced mine with some WLED-xHP9-T Wedge Base Bulbs from superbrightleds.com.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well... tried that... broke the bulb... looked inside and there's 2 prongs inside the base... Looks like those LED's don't work with H8 Bulbs :( No I have to special order the original bulb from mazda because no one carries H8 :(

·
Registered
268 Posts
Was looking at getting these also - let me know if you figure things out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
is that just a new bulb that replaces the current high beam bulb? or is there something entirely different being installed there?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Sorry to bring back an old topic, but for those searching, the bulb type on the 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 in the DRL position is an H8 (LL), and not a T10 Wedge as this topic implies. Hmmm - that means I can HID my DRL! HAH!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was looking at exactly this.
With shipping these bulbs add up to 30 bucks for me...
Did OP figure out if it works?
I have a 2010 MZ3

·
Registered
6 Posts
Doh... wish I would've read this thread before making a new one. So for Canadian 3's the Nagare headlight details are the DRLs? I assume if I wanted to change the bulb(s) on mine (which doesn't have DRLs) they'd be the same? T10 is the form factor?

·
Registered
98 Posts
OI... OK I went through this myself... The US 3 Bixenons have the Wedge 194 in this position. The Canadian one has the h8 as a DRL in the same position. The thing that's ultimately confusing which noone on here would address is the fact that when you look at the T10 that they show in theSpeedline photo (the one that shows the bulb lit up in the headlight) shows JUST the accent light lit up by itself; BUT the bulb they sell is the T10 led whick can ONLY operate with the amber parking light UNLESS you do the parking light delete. So they either did that or photoshopped it; BUT I took a shot, it works well for the US 3 and mine look awesome. whew

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey sotrbox, I drive an Australian MS3 with the W5W (T10) bulp. I've been trying to work out how the Candadian cars have DRL's in the same position. The W5W bulp is piss weak.

So you've just mentioned this H8 bulb, which is a serious headlight type bulb... see below...

I've been dicussing this with other US forums and took a photo of what the Australian Cars bulb look like...

In the below pic, you can see a grey plastic mount label 1 that the W5W (T10) buld mounts in. What I want to know is what the Candadian bulb mount looks like...Interesting I think that grey mount actually comes out of the black base label 2.

So maybe I can have Candadian DRL's afterall, just need a H8 bulb. I wonder if the fuse is a higher rating though...

·
Registered
98 Posts
I really dont know what the difference is with Australian 3's; Only CA is specified to be different in our manuals. If I'm correct it looks like yours come with an LED w5w in that picture??; ours come with a cruddy weak halogen bulb, the same one for our license plate bulb. I think its a bit more than plug n play as far as just switching out that gray thing, or a fuse in order to change that bulb type but I could be wrong. The CA DRL looks weak anyway IMO; how much light could you expect from the DRL anyway. Personally I love the way my t10 30 SMD led looks in there and it totally works as a DRL because I also have a VLED switchback LED in the 7443 ( blinker ) position. The two of them on make it look like the whites of the "eyes" are glowing whitish blue like 6-8k temperature; effectively I've created my own DRL which I like much better that most cars. It looks awesome at night though you shouldn't drive with no headlights on; but from oncoming it looks hella bright and almost like those are headlights; for cloudy days or early evening they're perfect. If I can get a good pic later Ill post it; the glare at night makes it difficult to capture but it looks totally sweet.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
[quote author=sotrbox link=topic=182552.msg4081809#msg4081809 date=1311882108]
I really dont know what the difference is with Australian 3's; Only CA is specified to be different in our manuals. If I'm correct it looks like yours come with an LED w5w in that picture??; ours come with a cruddy weak halogen bulb, the same one for our license plate bulb. I think its a bit more than plug n play as far as just switching out that gray thing, or a fuse in order to change that bulb type but I could be wrong. The CA DRL looks weak anyway IMO; how much light could you expect from the DRL anyway. Personally I love the way my t10 30 SMD led looks in there and it totally works as a DRL because I also have a VLED switchback LED in the 7443 ( blinker ) position. The two of them on make it look like the whites of the "eyes" are glowing whitish blue like 6-8k temperature; effectively I've created my own DRL which I like much better that most cars. It looks awesome at night though you shouldn't drive with no headlights on; but from oncoming it looks hella bright and almost like those are headlights; for cloudy days or early evening they're perfect. If I can get a good pic later Ill post it; the glare at night makes it difficult to capture but it looks totally sweet.
[/quote]

:photo:

·
Registered
98 Posts
OK I finally got around to gettin some photos up and theyre not the best but you get the idea. The one from behind the car will show that they actually put out some light by themselves; although again the pix dont do them justice. Now lets see which posting method works this time; this is only my second pic post so here we go...

·
Registered
13 Posts
in the last picture you posted, it looks like that amber piece on the headlight is gone, did you take it out?

that's one thing i don't like on the headlights ;x

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
[quote author=Dennis805 link=topic=182552.msg4090482#msg4090482 date=1312972362]
in the last picture you posted, it looks like that amber piece on the headlight is gone, did you take it out?

that's one thing i don't like on the headlights ;x
[/quote]

Looks like he replaced it with a clear one?? I'll be baking (well, heat-gunning) my headlights open next week and spraying some black in there. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
You might need to adjust the brightness on your screen, but check this out.

Top line says Canadian H8, Bottom line say Others W5W.

So, easy as that. I'm thinkinig of stick these in the slot...H8 HID conversion kit.

But right now I have these installed (the 68 SMD LED on the left)

Looks' like this out...

And installed

While I was at it, I changed the reverse lights out as well...

Old halogen colour,

New LED Colour

Old and new compared side by side...

And this is what the bulbs look like...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts