Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm about 300 miles away from breaking into 36,000, officially leaving the bumper to bumper warranty period. And so, I have two issues that I've been debating whether or not to take the dealer and attempt to address:

1) Sporadic clunking: Not quite sporadic in that I can't reproduce it, rather, it sounds rather loud to me and it only occurs over certain types of speed bumps and dips at a certain range of speeds, usually a bit slower than I should be going. But I'm dreadfully worried about the stock motor mounts so I try to keep the speeds to a minimum, leading to these clunks that are driving me nuts. I'm personally still on the boat of retaining the stock mounts until the powertrain warranty is up so I'm just merely attempting to endure the dread of my mount randomly cratering. But these clunks are a nuisance and I've already checked my front mounts // rear sway links numerous times (to the point of insanity) and they sound like omens... OF IMMINENT FAILURE.

2) Messy shifts: Starting it up cold, (regardless of outside temperature, though it's better when warm) it simply has difficulty shifting into 2nd and 6th without double clutching it. As in I have to hammer them in if I want them to go in at all or I get to feel the synchros rubbing up and reverberating up my arm. Already switched out to Redline MT-90 and still haven't gone aftermarket quite yet, last thing I want is to argue and fight for my transmission and engine due to aftermarket parts when/if the engine does fall.

Rather simple things, yet difficult to get the dealer to budge on, which is why I ask for the wisdom of these boards despite these issues having been more or less covered throughout the boards, but this time perhaps attempt to stand my ground and get these things "fixed". What say you?

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
[quote author=nue link=topic=137902.msg2972767#msg2972767 date=1236067042]1.But I'm dreadfully worried about the stock motor mounts so I try to keep the speeds to a minimum
2) Messy shifts: Starting it up cold, [/quote]

1. Some clunks when going over bumps are simply because of crappy rebound on our cars. It can be a mount problem but if you've pulled everything apart and found no problems don't worry about it. Please remember there are a lot more people without problems with their mounts than with.
2. MT-90 makes it harder to shift when cold. I was double clutching through all gears when it was -5.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Err. Finally got it checked out by my mechanic as I really didn't think the clunking was normal. Turns out the right front shock was totally busted. How does this happen? Like honestly, I'm pretty damned careful with the car as I'm paranoid enough of as it is. Is it normal for shocks to prematurely wear down so quick? I'm driving it as though it's slammed for Christ's sake despite being completely stock.

And of course, it's past the warranty period so I'm on my own.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
[quote author=nue link=topic=137902.msg3002195#msg3002195 date=1237399138]And of course, it's past the warranty period so I'm on my own.
[/quote]

I'd still contact the dealership and see if it relates to any shock recalls. Recalls have no expiration.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
[quote author=nue link=topic=137902.msg3005024#msg3005024 date=1237496232]
We have a shock recall? :shock: Anyways, I already ordered aftermarket and shocks aren't anything big. Other than the prices. :cry: :cry: Pay to play I suppose.
[/quote]

Sorry, TSB. I had the rears replaced last year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts