Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The speed seems ok? I don't want to have to wait for five minutes if someone sends me an email with a picture in it.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,777 Posts
I've got a similar Compaq I use on the road and it works great. It's used for internet and SOME excel..that's it but works VERY well. Battery life is excellent and I've had it for about 2 yrs..battery still holds a charge too. I don't know anything about netbooks but I'd think to spend 300 or so on a laptop..might as well get one you can use for other things too.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
My friend has a Dell Mini 10 that he uses for school and he really likes it. (He has a desktop at home and commutes so he wanted something small/light). He has the one with an HD Display and the GPS option, which seems cool.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Personally,I don't like it......but then if we all liked the same thing....we would all be chasing the same woman...now would'nt we ????

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[quote author=vtrin link=topic=154381.msg3297501#msg3297501 date=1251301026]
[quote author=thedave link=topic=154381.msg3297122#msg3297122 date=1251272049]
I would take a look at this laptop if any of the walmarts around you still have them...

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/24/walmart-offers-decently-specd-compaq-laptop-for-300/
[/quote]

I'm not a fan of a Sempron..

to the OP.. what is your price range?
[/quote]

I don't want to spend more than $400.

·
Registered
10,760 Posts
there are usually some decent deals at delloutlet.com
after my last laptop, im not going near any hp/compaq products.
best buy had a decent toshiba last week for like $340, my friend picked one up. i'll try to dig up a link when i get to a real computer.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
I'd stay away from Gateway personally. My school sold Gateways as a "school deal" to a bunch of architect students (I didn't want it and got myself an awesome dell). about 80% of the students that got the Gateway now have a new computer because the motherboards all fried. They ran hot as hell too, it was impossible to put it on your lap or it would burn you.

·
Registered
879 Posts
[quote author=TheUkrainian link=topic=154381.msg3298568#msg3298568 date=1251333697]
I'd stay away from Gateway personally. My school sold Gateways as a "school deal" to a bunch of architect students (I didn't want it and got myself an awesome dell). about 80% of the students that got the Gateway now have a new computer because the motherboards all fried. They ran hot as hell too, it was impossible to put it on your lap or it would burn you.
[/quote]

that's a load of crap, sorry. We used to have GW's and Dell's at work (university) and the GW's didn't fail any more often than the Dells. I've got a 2yr GW laptop that has better preformance than 90% of the units sold in the stores now. My mother got a refurbed GW PC and its fine.

to the OP.. damn man... $400???

If you want soemthing better and more powerful, for that price, get a refurb or recertified.

Newegg has this one..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834107028

You can also go to Ebay and find the direct stores for the big named manufacturers and get a nice one there.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
[quote author=vtrin link=topic=154381.msg3299419#msg3299419 date=1251389954]
[quote author=TheUkrainian link=topic=154381.msg3298568#msg3298568 date=1251333697]
[/quote]

that's a load of crap, sorry. We used to have GW's and Dell's at work (university) and the GW's didn't fail any more often than the Dells. I've got a 2yr GW laptop that has better preformance than 90% of the units sold in the stores now. My mother got a refurbed GW PC and its fine.

to the OP.. damn man... $400???

If you want soemthing better and more powerful, for that price, get a refurb or recertified.

Newegg has this one..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834107028

You can also go to Ebay and find the direct stores for the big named manufacturers and get a nice one there.
[/quote]

Maybe it depends on the model? All I know is a lot of the students were pissed off at the school because after they broke the school didn't offer any kind of warranty on them. One of my friends had his motherboard go out while he was working on a project, good thing he had it all on his external drive.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What do you guys know about netbooks? They seem pretty cool, but I guess none of them have DVD drives? How do you watch a movie on it? In general are they a good value though?

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
[quote author=shawngreen link=topic=154381.msg3299986#msg3299986 date=1251412361]
What do you guys know about netbooks? They seem pretty cool, but I guess none of them have DVD drives? How do you watch a movie on it? In general are they a good value though?
[/quote]
my brother just got an Asus eee. he got an external dvd drive for around $60. they're pretty good if you just check email and surf the web.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
You can get a dell mini (10") with the upgraded battery (up to 8 hours battery life) and a external DVD drive for a bit over 400$. A base one starts at around 370$.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts