Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I wanted to make my car look purdy... so I did the following:

1) Dawned the car

This took 10 minutes or so, no problems thus far.

2) Cleaned up the engine bay somewhat

This sucked. I had just gotten my oil changed 3 days earlier, AND THEY FORGOT TO PUT THE EFFING CAP BACK ON... so there was oil all over the engine bay and hood...
Then to top it off, I had to hold the hood with 1 hand to make sure that it didn't fly off the car. We were in the middle of having 60 mph windgusts that would rattle the hood and scare me that the stand was going to pop out while my head was under the hood and decapitate me.

3) Attempted to clay

Now maybe I wasnt doing this right... but the only thing I ever picked up was a little dirt from the 60 mph wind... and I wasnt sure how lubed up the car needed to be. I may have even put a few surface scratches into the clear coat from not doing it right... or maybe they were already there... who knows.

4) Washed with real car wash soap

Another 10 minutes... no problems here

5) Applied Meguiar ScratchX to whole car

Uggh... by this time it was dark, and I applied this hoping to get rid of some swirls in the paint... but I didn't notice it do ANYTHING for me except get stuck to the car and be a pain in the ass to rub off

6) Applied meguiar cleaner wax to whole car

This stuff at least smells nice... Directions say to IMMEDIATELY remove... they weren't kidding... 0% humidity + 90 degrees + 60 mph wind = dry before you move the applicator pad... this stuff sucked to get off the car

7) Applied meguiar polish to whole car

Same shit, different name... also a pain to get off cause it dried so effing fast

8) Applied meguiar #26 hi tech yellow wax to whole car

This stuff went on nice and was pretty easy to buff off.

----------------------

Total time: ~4 hours

I have no idea if the car looks better... worse... or what... it may be the case that because I was working under flourescent light, that I saw more scratches and whatnot than I would have in the sunlight. Or maybe I just f-ed up my car... I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Anyway, by the time I got home there was a layer of dust on the car again already... sweet... I pick the best days to try and clean

</endrant>

·
Registered
134 Posts
[quote author=rcrooks link=topic=74606.msg1332796#msg1332796 date=1176443885]
UPDATE: Its now raining. I hate life.
[/quote]

LOL... We've all been there. That pretty much just tells you that your entire day was a waste.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Nah, the wax will make it easier to wash.

When claying, don't drop the clay and don't press too hard. Also don't re-use clay too much. It's expensive for new clay, but worth it when you don't make swirls.

Also, I hope you checked your oil level and topped it off, put a cap on it, and cleaned up the oil mess.

GL

·
Registered
420 Posts
I sympathize with you. The first time I did a good detail of my car it took me over 4 hours to do and in the end I don't think it looked much better that if I would have just washed it. That same night it rained. The nice thing was that since I put all the work into it was really easy to rewash it after the rain.

·
Registered
14,016 Posts
dude that sucks man.
you can try to get some degreaser and spray it all over the oily engine, scrub it with a brush, then use a power washer, that should get some if not all of the oil off.

for clay bar, knead the clay first, then form it to a small pancake like.
do one panel at a time, use plenty of lubes, and don't press the clay to hard. just keep on claying until the surface is smooth.
when the clay got dirty, knead it so you can get a clean clay.

meguiars scratch X is not the best swirl remover out there. i think you got to leave the scratch X on the car until it hazes, then buff it off.

for the polish, do one small section at a time also.

well, you'll learn from your mistake dude.
keep on detailing!

·
Registered
301 Posts
[quote author=rcrooks link=topic=74606.msg1332717#msg1332717 date=1176441698]

1) Dawned the car

This sucked. I had just gotten my oil changed 3 days earlier, AND THEY FORGOT TO PUT THE EFFING CAP BACK ON... so there was oil all over the engine bay and hood...
Then to top it off, I had to hold the hood with 1 hand to make sure that it didn't fly off the car. We were in the middle of having 60 mph windgusts that would rattle the hood and scare me that the stand was going to pop out while my head was under the hood and decapitate me.

3) Attempted to clay

Now maybe I wasnt doing this right... but the only thing I ever picked up was a little dirt from the 60 mph wind... and I wasnt sure how lubed up the car needed to be. I may have even put a few surface scratches into the clear coat from not doing it right... or maybe they were already there... who knows.

4) Washed with real car wash soap

Another 10 minutes... no problems here

5) Applied Meguiar ScratchX to whole car

Uggh... by this time it was dark, and I applied this hoping to get rid of some swirls in the paint... but I didn't notice it do ANYTHING for me except get stuck to the car and be a pain in the ass to rub off

6) Applied meguiar cleaner wax to whole car

This stuff at least smells nice... Directions say to IMMEDIATELY remove... they weren't kidding... 0% humidity + 90 degrees + 60 mph wind = dry before you move the applicator pad... this stuff sucked to get off the car

7) Applied meguiar polish to whole car

Same shit, different name... also a pain to get off cause it dried so effing fast

8) Applied meguiar #26 hi tech yellow wax to whole car

This stuff went on nice and was pretty easy to buff off.

----------------------

Total time: ~4 hours

I have no idea if the car looks better... worse... or what... it may be the case that because I was working under flourescent light, that I saw more scratches and whatnot than I would have in the sunlight. Or maybe I just f-ed up my car... I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Anyway, by the time I got home there was a layer of dust on the car again already... sweet... I pick the best days to try and clean

</endrant>
[/quote]

Sorry dude for all that. I had almost the same thing happen to me, and it sucks, then it rained. But after the rain, the car was still clean. I really like the Meguiar #26 hi tech yellow wax. This is all that I use and it works great.

I wash my car every 6 months, well I will when the times comes up, since my car is new. I waxed the entire car, the day I got it and it came out SWEET!!!! :klavergreg:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update 2:

Today I went out around 1 PM and washed again, and noticed some sweet beading on the hood and roof and trunk where I did the claybar + 4 layers of wax thing, so much so that I couldnt keep it wet to wash it... Added a layer of the yellow wax to the hood, top, and trunk that I got done the other night, and then went ahead and did the ol' ScratchX/Cleaner Wax/Polish/Yellow wax quadruple attack on the front wheel panels and back bumper. Its starting to look like a sexy car :)

I need to get a door and the front bumper sanded/repainted before I waste 4 hours claying and waxing the crap out of them.

So basically when I get my lazy ass outside to do some work Ill update this thread, Im sure all three people that read it will be very appreciative :)

Total time spent washing/claying/waxing thus far: 7 hours

Still to be done: Doors, front bumper, windows, interior

---------------
Question: What do yall use to apply touchup paint??? I have some rock dings the size of a toothpick tip, and that brush definately is not gonna work. My plan was to just use the tip of a toothpick and add in tiny dots of it and let it dry until it looks level-ish... will this work?

·
Registered
14,016 Posts
good job!
just remember not to use scratch X on a waxed area, cause scratch X will strip it, so you'll need to rewax it.

for the touch up paint, you can use toothpick and fill in the chipped area, and after that wetsand it so you get an even surface, then polish it to get rid of the hazing caused by the wetsanding

·
Registered
31,524 Posts
[quote author=rcrooks link=topic=74606.msg1332717#msg1332717 date=1176441698]

1) Dawned the car

Anyway, by the time I got home there was a layer of dust on the car again already... sweet... I pick the best days to try and clean....

</endrant>
[/quote]

your car knows you love her, and that's what counts. :p

·
Banned
1,351 Posts
[quote author=rcrooks link=topic=74606.msg1332796#msg1332796 date=1176443885]
UPDATE: Its now raining. I hate life.
[/quote]

there is a preventative measure you can take for this. it's called The Weather Channel :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.