Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what causes this? or is it normal.

With the 3 I have a AT with Manual shift, and when you launch in 1st gear there is a lag in power until about 3000 RPM's no noise by the tires nothing. now I had an AT Caviler and I know when I was stopped and pressed the gas the tires would make some noise, that is 116 HP this is 160HP now is there some traction control or something to cause this? if so how do you turn it off?

Thanks
-Devin

·
Registered
337 Posts
why would you want to turn it off.

1) its for your safety
2) its protects your tires so they last longer
3) peeling out for the most part is really annoying and is possible with the 3
4) i was always under the impression that for best performance off the line you want to just be at enough power where you almost lose traction.

·
Registered
195 Posts
devin98 said:
Just wondering what causes this? or is it normal.

With the 3 I have a AT with Manual shift, and when you launch in 1st gear there is a lag in power until about 3000 RPM's no noise by the tires nothing. now I had an AT Caviler and I know when I was stopped and pressed the gas the tires would make some noise, that is 116 HP this is 160HP now is there some traction control or something to cause this? if so how do you turn it off?

Thanks
-Devin
I'm pretty sure that there isn't a traction control system. When I launch my car I don't notice a lag in power, but I do have the MTX.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Well, the 2.0 and 2.3 engines don't have a whole lot of low-end torque in the lower rpm range. It'll feel a little slow till your needle passes the 3k rpm mark and that's when the good torque kicks in. In your AT in manumatic mode, I'm assuming that you're stomping on the gas pedal from a dead stop in 1st gear?

·
Registered
432 Posts
i'm quite sure all AT cars will launch like that without instant reaction to however hard you stomp on the gas. It will wait around 1 sec to respond.

Even if you upgrade to 200lb/ft touque it will still do the same with an AT. Nothing to do with HP at the launch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ok this is the total and complete reason there is lag... due to the throttle system w/ this car, it takes a split second after u mash the pedal for the throttle body to open... throttle response is not optimized in the mazda3 but there are ways to quicken it (exhaust). the main problem, however, is the lack of low-end torque. the reason it really shoots passed 3000 rpms is the variable valve timing.. almost like VTEC in hondas w/ the sudden kick as you pass into the main powerband section. traction control has nothing to do w/ the lag because it only kicks in if your tires actually start slipping by automatically activating the brakes in order to maintain traction. low-end torque WILL suffer from a less restrictive exhaust system, so if you want the torque w/ slightly quicker throttle response i suggest first getting a grounding kit (to help the electronic drive-by-wire throttle system activate under optimum conditions) and then get an intake when they come out. but you must know that there will always be an ever so slight lag w/ automatic transmissions... how long the lag lasts is up to your wallet, driving style, and aftermarket companies. hope this helps. peace

·
Registered
145 Posts
i dont think you can peel with an AT 2.3 unless you do a neutral drop. Stonping on the pedal in first on the AT wont make the tires spin at all unless the road is wet.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
I had a few modded autos and an exhaust and intake did not improve the lag at take off, yes it did improve throttle response after you got going though. A ecu reflash can help with throttle tip-in when they become available.

--Herb--

·
Registered
310 Posts
But the good thing is that you only have to pass that dull-zone once, then for the remainder of the acceleration, you'll never hit it, because on an up-shift, the needle will never drop below 3000.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.