Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just don't get it.

Doing a search for manual hatch backs out there, there is simply a general lack of cars equipped with the ABS/airbags safety package and nothing else. There are loaded cars with moonroof, leather, disk changer, xenon, ABS, etc, but very few with just ABS and airbags.

In fact, there are many more cars equipped with just moonroof/changer than ones with just ABS/airbags. I find this production allocation odd since I doubt many people would value ABS/airbags higher than moonroof and a changer.

Am I wrong?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Depends on where you are Lee. I'm in Montreal and I'm currently waiting for my SportGT, Manual, Moonroof and AC. ETA was 3 weeks at order time.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I do think he has a point though. Why should a CD changer and a Moon roof be a bigger selling point than safety features like ABS and Side Airbags?

·
Registered
882 Posts
I guess a lot of people don't like ABS, I like it a bunch now that I have gotten used to it over the past several years. Not a huge concern cause in Canada ABS is standard on the 3 Sport though oddly enough we can't even get the side airbags if we even wanted to. As I've said before I'd love to know the logic behind that one, I'd pay for them if they were available.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I think decisions like that are all based off of cost. I don't even think the safety factor is taken into account. It's all wheter or not it's profitable.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your feedback...

I am trying to take advantage of the 3.9 percent financing and graduate rebate promotions that Mazda is offering. Both of these are slated to end soon after New Years. Ordering a car would probably push me beyond this date. You guys think Mazda will extend these offers or replace them with similar promotions?

I am just so distraught... 600 Mazda 3 hatchbacks in a 150 mile radius and only 5 that comes only with ABS/airbags, and none in Winning Blue or Solar Yellow.

I'll throw in my usual complaint for the number of monochrome colors that manufacturers seem to offer: white, silver, titanium grey, black... Oh well... the search continues.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Kazbaeden said:
I do think he has a point though. Why should a CD changer and a Moon roof be a bigger selling point than safety features like ABS and Side Airbags?
Excellent observation. But as you said in a later post, it's about profit/cost. I'm sure they make more profit from a sunroof and CD player than advanced safety systems.

I, for one, wouldn't even think about buying a 3 without the ABS/SAB/SAC package. It was one of the main reasons I was interested in the 3 to begin with. Plus, I'm tall so a sunroof means less headroom for me and less structural ridgidity in general.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
ABS rules... I don't much care about SAB/SAC... I just have that in my 6 because that's the car that was available (plus it was required for the Bose system)

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
People care more for "luxury" items like the 6CD changer and moonroof, because they use those items much more frequently than ABS/SAB/SAC. Plus, some people want to impress their friends and family by showing that they have a moonroof and CD changer. You can't actually see by looking at a car that someone has ABS/SAB/SAC.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Excellent observation. But as you said in a later post, it's about profit/cost. I'm sure they make more profit from a sunroof and CD player than advanced safety systems.
Yeah, I realize that, but I think what I was really getting at is, why lots of tunes and gazing out of the top of your car is more important to the public than safety (which it obviously is, if moonroof/CD = profit over safety devices). I think that's a real societal issue.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Kazbaeden said:
Yeah, I realize that, but I think what I was really getting at is, why lots of tunes and gazing out of the top of your car is more important to the public than safety (which it obviously is, if moonroof/CD = profit over safety devices). I think that's a real societal issue.
Oops, well that's true too. Funny in a twisted way, but sad and disturbing nonetheless. I cringe every time I see an SUV full of teenage girls gabbing on cells and singing along to loud music, pretty much doing everything expect fostering a safe driving environment.

I really don't care anymore when kids my age kill themselves in car wrecks, provided they don't take any innocent people out in the process.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
LeeLee said:
I am trying to take advantage of the 3.9 percent financing and graduate rebate promotions that Mazda is offering. Both of these are slated to end soon after New Years. Ordering a car would probably push me beyond this date. You guys think Mazda will extend these offers or replace them with similar promotions?
Where are you at LeeLee? MazdaUSA has continued the graduate program for several years. They used to offer a free PDA or $300 3 years ago in the US. It's definitely gotten much better. I'd expect the graduate incentive to be around for a long while. Not sure about the Mazda Owner Loyalty incentive, although I suspect that'll be around for a while too.

3.9 percent is dependant on the market, so it's more unpredictable. Usually around this time of year, low APR is common since companies want to clear cars off their lots to make room for new models. If Mazda3s sell well over the next few months, the incentive will likely go away.

Good luck with your shopping.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts