Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was asked by friends from the engineering faculty to help write code for a voice recognition chip, everything went well and I'm getting more familiar with it. The chip itself was only $50 but the board needed to load program onto it was like $500. He told me he has a spare chip available, and I can play with the spare one if I want...

So I'm thinking somehow program a chip to recognize my voice so that I can do a keyless voice entry. The chip that I programmed for him now is for a wireless voice-controlled lawn mower. So to program this chip to do keyless voice entry isn't that hard at all.

I have few options and problems for now though:
1) Should I mount the chip on the vehicle? so that I have to go near the vehicle and say something to unlock the doors? If so where should I mount the microphone? It has to be somewhere that voice can get to and would be weatherproof.

2) My friend suggested that I can mount the chip on a remote or something, but then what's the point of having voice entry since I can just hit a button to unlock. Plus the wireless chip ain't cheap...I don't know too much about hardware so this would be more of a challenge to me. Battery would drain like crazy as well. One alternative is so modify the alarm's remote to get rid of the buttons and make it voice-driven.

I'm thinking of doing this when I have time, might go with the first option so even if I lock myself out with the key in the vehicle I can still get in. The question is where the mount the mic and what wire to tap in with the chip. I'm assuming it's just going to be the wires of the lock button on the door.

Of course, I will use some special words or sentence for lock and unlock just in case. And allow it to be changed when inside of the vehicle.

Let me know if you think if this is even worth of trying...I need ideas man.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
why not use plain old simple FOB button to open ur car? its simple and stress free.. lol :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
258 Posts
yeah... how lazy are you getting that you cant use your remote to unlock your car from 50 feet away? ;)

sounds like too much work to do just to unlock a car... its gimicky, sorta like the lexus self parking thing... it sounds good on paper but is a pain in the ass to do if you let the car self parralel park itself... you can spend up to 5 or 10 minutes just programming the car to see what it needs to see so it doesnt crunch a quarter panel or bumper. Just easier and faster to part yourself or just get valet if your really super lazy :) LOL

·
Registered
14,388 Posts
I guess it would work if you are in a closed garage.

Way lame. just do like the suzuki, use rf so when you are hear the car it will auto unlock.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
haha, you guys are a bunch of buzzkills! :p Stuff like this isn't about whether it's worth the hassle, it's about having fun and seeing if you can get it to work!

I say go for it! Especially if the chip can be programmed to recognize multiple commands...

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was personally, being stupid enough, to leave my car key/remote, house key and cellphone in the car and locked myself out before. So something like this would probably be useful to me.

·
Registered
38,702 Posts
I think this is a really awesome idea. ;)

·
Registered
14,388 Posts
What exactly would you speak into?

[quote author=devil2k link=topic=70420.msg1237814#msg1237814 date=1172630184]
I was personally, being stupid enough, to leave my car key/remote, house key and cellphone in the car and locked myself out before. So something like this would probably be useful to me.
[/quote]

I think the microphone would be on the keychain so it may not help you there. Maybe you need a ford keypad on your car. ;-)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts