Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologize if I am asking this in wrong section.

So I am having an issue of my Key Fob for my 2012 Mazda 3 going trough batteries like crazy! I put the correct battery in it (CR1620) and it only lasts line 2 weeks then it dies, I know its not the batteries because I have bought at least 3 different ones from different stores so it cant be a bad batch. One key fob I use and the other on is in storage and they both eat the batteries in about the same time even though one isn't getting used! I know others are having this problem as well but I can't find a solution. Can anyone on here give some input :smile2:

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
If both FOBs do it, even when one isn't near the car/being used, I would really lean towards a bad batch of batteries...

·
Registered
112 Posts
My backup key that my wife has is almost 5 yrs old and when I went to program a third and fourth key it still worked unlocking the door. Did your key FOB just start eating batteries? Check the inside button by pushing it from the inside towards the outside. The 1620 battery last a very long time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine had its battery die only about a month after I bought my 2015 S 2.5.
I think it was because the buttons got pressed for a long time when I had it in my computer bag one day.......
It's a possibility that similar had been happening to your key fob.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So anyone have any other input?

It's not a bad batch of batteries I have tried 3 different stores and the bat only work 2-3 weeks.

It's not the button being pressed, also the PCB board in the key fob is clean and no cracked components. I also doubt it is the programming since it works fine once I put a fresh bat in it even after being dead for a month or so.....but I have seen reprogram help other devices haha

There was a problem that did start before all the key fob issues and that is that the manual door lock button doesn't work as soon as it is pressed, it does work every time when I hit the unlock(up) but not lock (down).

It's not the button or the wires because I did check those so does anyone know what system controls that ?

Thanks again :)

Still have to say I love my mazda!

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
So if you put a new battery in a FOB and then don't use it for 3 weeks then it will be dead and both FOBs do the same thing? I really can't see how that could be anything else than bad/wrong batteries.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah correct, but I don't know how they can be bad when one set I bought at Walmart, one at Walgreen's, and the other at batteries plus. I'll try to get it reprogrammed that may help.

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
Yeah correct, but I don't know how they can be bad when one set I bought at Walmart, one at Walgreen's, and the other at batteries plus. I'll try to get it reprogrammed that may help.
Are they all the same brand? Are you sure they are the correct type of battery? (Just to cover all bases)

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
After reading the title for this thread I realized that I have not replaced the battery in my '05 3i's key FOB yet! The FOB still works flawlessly even though I'm only 1.5 months shy of 11 years since my car was driven off the dealer's lot on 3/1/05. Pretty amazing wouldn't you say?.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After reading the title for this thread I realized that I have not replaced the battery in my '05 3i's key FOB yet! The FOB still works flawlessly even though I'm only 1.5 months shy of 11 years since my car was driven off the dealer's lot on 3/1/05. Pretty amazing wouldn't you say?.
That is amazing, have to love something when it's made right.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just a suggestion, when I bought my 2010, one of my Fobs had the wrong battery inside. Did you look up in your manual what model battery is actually takes, or are you replacing the battery that was already in there?

·
Registered
238 Posts
This one is a stretch, but if you ruled out batteries, perhaps the key fob is constantly talking -- or trying to talk -- to the car for some reason.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Does your key look like either of these:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This one is a stretch, but if you ruled out batteries, perhaps the key fob is constantly talking -- or trying to talk -- to the car for some reason.
I feel this way too, the red led is only lit when I press the button sobit must be doing something with out showing it. That is why maybre program it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What's the expiration date on the batteries you're using? Sometimes these uncommon sizes can sit on shelves for a long time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has this ever been figured out? My remote is munching batteries probably one a month as well. ONLY ONE.....not the second one. Ive tried different brands, verify dates on them (to ensure freshness) and verify voltage prior to install and then when they are "dead". Clearly, something is pulling voltage in teh remote without the buttons pressed/LED on. Im getting tired of changing $7 batteries once a month.

ANd yes, its a 1620 Im using.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Although it seems like you do have a problem with that remote, it is silly to pay $7 for one battery, especially when you have a good idea you'll need another one in a month.
You can purchase ten Energizer batteries for the same $7.00 from eBay. So, until you find a resolution these will keep you out of debtors' prison.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the same problem. Replaced the batteries in both fobs multiple times and it would go bad in a month or so. I gave up, car wins. I just use the key to unlock/lock it now, pisses me straight off. Second key i wouldn't use but would still die too. I think the fobs are constantly trying to find/ communicate with the car. Bought my 2010 mazda3 in early 2009. I didnt start having this problem until about two years ago. I am currently in a war, that im losing, with my tires now. Newer tires that always lose air. Had rims checked, stems replaced and now thinking about having my tires resealed. They say they cant find a nail. Im sick of the low air pressure light.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts