Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this sounds like a dumb question but i want to keep a maintenance log when i sell the car later on. Do i just write down dates and that i changed on the car or does it have to be legit and signed off by a mazda dealership? And where do you keep this sort of record, in a regular book?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I just keep an Excel spreadsheet that contains:

Date
Mileage
Type of Service (oil change, air filter, etc.)
Products used (Pennzoil Platinum 5w20, WIX oil filter w/Part No., etc.)

Also, keep all of your receipts neatly organized in an envelope in your glove compartment.

I do this mainly for my own pleasure. It's a way for me to keep track of what I've done and what I need to do. Plus, it will help when it comes time to sell the car.

·
Registered
753 Posts
It doesn't need to be signed or verified. Just write down any relevant information on what you did and keep the receipts.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Another option is the Mazda USA website. Under the owners section they have a place you can log in and add things to a maintenance log.http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayOwnersHome.action?bhcp=1

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Fudge... I tend to give my original receipts away for MIRs...

I guess I need to learn how to make copies of the receipts. hehe

At least until the warranties are done.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Wont matter...Dealers now just use "fair market value" for a trade. Research your car on kbb.com. What ever its worth there, thats about what you'll get..No matter what records you have.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
[quote author=alecshawn link=topic=70022.msg1220247#msg1220247 date=1172029947]
Wont matter...Dealers now just use "fair market value" for a trade. Research your car on kbb.com. What ever its worth there, thats about what you'll get..No matter what records you have.
[/quote]

The original poster mentioned nothing about "trade-in", he said "sell the car". If you're trading in a car, you're probably not real worried about getting the most for your car.

I for one wouldn't buy a car w/o some sort of maintenance records/receipts. It might not make you're car worth anymore in the sense of dollars you receive, but it will raise the worth in the sense of the ease of selling. If you're out to buy a used car, which one would you pick? The one with maintenance records/receipts or the one with no records of maintenance at all? That's a no-brainer!

Not to mention, maintenance records help to CYA if something goes wrong while you're under warranty.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I used to keep every receipt of gasoline i filled up, but then it filled up a shoe box so I stopped.

I agree the maintenance records are nice, but I tend to keep cars until they need a repair that's not worth fixing, so then I trade it in. So I guess the maintenance records only help me with warranty claims.

·
Registered
753 Posts
[quote author=mshu7 link=topic=70022.msg1220662#msg1220662 date=1172060831]
If you're out to buy a used car, which one would you pick? The one with maintenance records/receipts or the one with no records of maintenance at all? That's a no-brainer![/quote]

As an example of that, a friend was considering a used Acura Vigor with 120K. Since it was kind of a high-end car when it came out, with a very expensive engine, he was concerned about the cost of paying for repairs if somthing went wrong. Then the owner pulled out a stack of maintenance records showing that even the brake fluid had been flushed every two years at the Acura dealer. So he bought it. But as mshu7 said, if you're using dealers for used car transactions, you're not worried about getting the most value you can out of the deal anyway!

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
I have a 3 ring binder with clear file holders in them. any car service/repair/parts reciepts get put in there in cronological order... Very easy to do and in a instant you can find any reciept you need...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Here is a maintenance log I created using Excel and exported to Word for anyone who would like to use it.

It may print funky but the site doesn't allow upload of Excel files. If you would like the Excel file just PM me with your email address.

Print a couple of these out, keep them in your glove box or a binder and you're good to go!

Documentation is the name of the game.

Zach

Attachments

·
Registered
420 Posts
[quote author=mikebb55 link=topic=70022.msg1219182#msg1219182 date=1172006422]
Another option is the Mazda USA website. Under the owners section they have a place you can log in and add things to a maintenance log.http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayOwnersHome.action?bhcp=1
[/quote]

I use the Mazda website to keep up on my maintenance and record maintenance done; it works pretty well. I'm planning on creating a spreadsheet to keep it in on my computer and I'll probably make a binder to keep my receipts. I'll still probably keep on using the Mazda website, but I like to have back up copies of back ups, lol, plus I like to be very organized.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Adam,

Check out that Word I posted like 2 or 3 back. If you like the format, let me know and I can email you a copy of the Excel file. Very nice!

ZE

·
Registered
525 Posts
I am more like TGM3. I have done this with all my cars. It has always helped me get top dollar out of them. I keep a front sheet with the date, mileage, type of work done, where done, product used............ inside clear pages in a binder. So in each page I have an area for three service logs. Behind the sheet (inside the plastic page) I put the receipts to those three maintenance logs. With the way I keep the car looking and these easy to view logs, I can always sell my stuff quicker and for the top dollar of that vehicle. Even on trade in value I have made them pay top dollar. They are more willing to barter because they will use the same technique when selling it, not to mention it will usually become one of their "certified" vehicles.

·
Registered
692 Posts
[quote author=HouRman link=topic=70022.msg1221016#msg1221016 date=1172074664]
I used to keep every receipt of gasoline i filled up, but then it filled up a shoe box so I stopped.

I agree the maintenance records are nice, but I tend to keep cars until they need a repair that's not worth fixing, so then I trade it in. So I guess the maintenance records only help me with warranty claims.
[/quote]

I still keep all my gas receipts. I don't have that many yet cause I only have 9K on my car. I also keep my maintainence records in a book. Don't have excel anymore.

I hope I don't get discouraged and keep doing it till the end. Never worried about warranty stuff. Its just kind of like a hobby to me. Knowing when I did things, and knowing my true mpg.

·
Registered
67 Posts
[quote author=mshu7 link=topic=70022.msg1219128#msg1219128 date=1172004956]
I just keep an Excel spreadsheet that contains:

Date
Mileage
Type of Service (oil change, air filter, etc.)
Products used (Pennzoil Platinum 5w20, WIX oil filter w/Part No., etc.)

Also, keep all of your receipts neatly organized in an envelope in your glove compartment.

I do this mainly for my own pleasure. It's a way for me to keep track of what I've done and what I need to do. Plus, it will help when it comes time to sell the car.
[/quote]

can you email me that spreadsheet? my email address is [email protected]

thanks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts