Mazda3 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just thinking here but do the rules for this class allow any alternate transmission with different ratios, or just the same trans that came with the vehicle?

What other vehicles are you competing against for this class?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Well I've come to learn that if it doesn't say you can do it then you can't. I don't agree with that but it makes it easier to enforce I suppose. You have to run the OEM transmission with the same gear ratios as stock, no lightweight parts or anything like that in the drivetrain.
Most competitive cars are the Ford Focus, Acura RSX, and the Mazda 3. I haven't read all that much on the Honda Fit or the Toyota Yaris but both of these cars run in my region this year so it will be interesting to see how they do.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Got it! I guess other than trans fluid being open, it must have stock internals. Makes it more of a driver's class.

If there is a link to the rules for this class, could you add it to the first post for others to read? It's interesting to see where classes our Mazda 3 Models fit.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Sure I'll put up the rules for STF, I'm not sure what other classes the 3 is in because I'm not peeping for them lol.

On to larger news, I found a junkyard trans from an 05 2.3 5 speed, they are asking 200$ I'm taking a look at it on Wednesday, if it all checks out I'll pick it up Thursday and drop it off to my neighbor for it to be rebuilt. Knowing a lot of people in the circle track world helps when you need a quick turn around. This particular gentleman build the transmissions for one of the top competing teams in Florida in asphalt late models.

Then it's down to the shop to have it replaced. It's gonna be a quick 3 weeks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Quick update, I had already signed up for an autocross in brooksville before my transmission broke, I borrowed my girlfriend 2006 Mazda 3 and threw my tires on it. I ended up second in STF by .2 seconds. Had a great day and that performance makes me so excited to see how my car handles.
Transmission is done getting rebuilt, after inspecting the gears on the junkyard trans they looked great and only 1 needed to be replaced, everything was cleaned and installed without issue. It's Currently sitting in the back of my dads truck and waiting to have the car towed to the shop to have it installed. I just had the OEM flywheel machined back to a smooth surface so I'm ditching the lightweight flywheel (it was fun while it lasted). It should only take a day or two for the new transmission to be installed so it looks like I'll be ready for Georgia.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
So the transmission was installed without problem so after a quick break in we headed to the Dixie tour! Ended up in last place after day 1 due to the slick track, it had rained the night before and that morning and the course was soaked. STF was the first run group and having never auto crossed in the rain it obviously showed.
Day 2 was much better and I made up enough time to finish in 4th! I had the second best time in STF and I ended up only about 1 second off of second place!

Car ran great and I couldn't be more excited for the rest of the season.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
So after the day 1 competition runs at the Dixie tour, I was driving to grab some dinner and while crossing an intersection I heard a very loud metal on metal scraping sound. I knew almost instantly that my transmission mount had completely broken. I had already upgraded the passenger and rear mounts with AWR 88 duro ones.
I decided to risk it for day 2 and the rest of my planned trip. Boy did I get lucky, I drove to TRZ Motorsports today as they are about 45 min from me and picked up a new transmission mount. After coming home and getting to work I found that the rubber had actually split into three pieces, this allowed the transmission to move under braking and acceleration. After reinstalling the new mount and going for a quick test drive the entire car feels way more solid, shifting has been greatly improved and I hope this will cure a little bit of wheel hop!
BTW I had called AWR and they are releasing a Mazda 3 specific transmission mount sometime in the next 1-2 months. I would highly recommend them for all of the mounts.
Local autocross this Sunday hopefull to get the win now that I know what the car is capable of.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
So I have now run 5 autocross events on the Mazda. My results are a second (first time ever racing the 3), second (first time with the current prep I am at), fourth (national tour), first and first. I had no idea that this car would handle so well! I've never had this much fun racing in my life, I've driven 600hp late models, sprint cars and shifter karts but the 3 out does them all.
Our SCCA region ran at the Orange County convention center on a super tight, bumpy course and I was able to get the win by .2 seconds. I was battling brake issues all day and the bumpy course made them even worse. After coming home I was able to order new front rotors, stainless brake lines and EBC yellow stuff pads. I had 2 weeks to install them before our next event. Proper bedding and break in period is key with these pads.
Next event was on a very grippy runway in Brooksville! This course was mostly an open slalom with a figure eight to turn around and come back. Fastest course I've run so far and I actually found this one more fun than the national tour. I finished 8th in PAX and took first in STF.
https://youtu.be/OXjA8zNkU5E

https://youtu.be/zhtnLk4AO3U

·
Registered
603 Posts
The good news is the car looks reasonably dialed in. It could use a bit more responsiveness in transitions but overall good. What's the alignment, tires and pressures?

Next step is fine-tuning the driver. I think even that your skill level you're probably left about a second out on course. You are faster than you even realize. You just have to trust that turning in early and using more momentum you can make it stick.

Keep at it :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Tire pressures were 32 all the way around. I'm still trying some things as far as air pressure goes.
Alignment is -2 camber in the front and -2 camber in the rear. Front toe is out 1/8 inch and rear is right at zero. Front caster is at 3 degrees.
I know I need more camber in the front and rear but I can't justify myself spending another 400+ just to get it right. I need to fix the toe in the front but just haven't gotten around to it. Also remember my current race weight is 2760 with a half tank of gas and no driver. With me it's over 2900 lol needless to say it needs to go on a major diet!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
So last week I was able to buy a used Mazdaspeed accessory CAI off of the forum. Came with 2 filters and 2 brand new bottles of cleaner. Install went very smooth except that the original owner forgot to provide the rubber vibration mount. Quick look in the garage and I managed to find a spacer that fit perfectly. Butt dyno likes it, seems to be a bit more power around 3k RPM but haven't had a chance to get some runs with it on course. Since this is my first car it's been a learning experience as far as mods and what to focus on first and what to leave till the last part of a build. A few things I jumped in to quickly on was the rear swaybar and the KW V3 coilovers. The lack of camber plates really hurts the front suspension and I probably should have bought the BC racing Double adjustable or just stuck with their single adjustable. That being said I'm very happy with how the car handles now and I can't imagine going back to a stock handling Mazda 3.

I ordered a Hotchkis rear sway bar, but they were on back order and won't be here for another week. I'm not sure I'll be able to test that change before the DC tour which it looks like I will be attending. This 12 hour drive might be a little brutal and I'm not looking forward to sleeping in the car but sometimes you have to make sacrifices for things you love!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
yeah, front camber is a must in a fwd.
Fairly certain even a blow suspension or racelands with -3.5 degrees camber up front would be faster than a very good setup that has no camber.

Gotta keep the tire flat through the turns! That matters more than anything else at the end of it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I don't see you registered yet :p

I am now! Looking forward to meeting you and running some quick times to take down the civic

yeah, front camber is a must in a fwd.
Fairly certain even a blow suspension or racelands with -3.5 degrees camber up front would be faster than a very good setup that has no camber.

Gotta keep the tire flat through the turns! That matters more than anything else at the end of it.

Used corksport camber plates for 200 sound good? That's the only way I'll be able to get more camber other than slotting the strut tower more but the metal is getting harder and harder as I slot them.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
So my Hotchkis rear swaybar came in after being back ordered for about a month. Installed it and the split collars that go on the inside of the chassis mounts and the wrong size. Sent me 1 3/8 instead of 1 1/4. They told me they wouldn't be able to overnight me the parts and won't guarantee that they will be here before I leave next Thursday.
Overall I'm very disappointed with their service, was back ordered for 3 weeks and then once they had the parts back from paint they weren't going to ship them for another week. Probably the last time I will order from them.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
New collars came in the mail thanks to Amazon! Got those on and the swaybar install is finally complete!
Took the car in to get the alignment checked at a newer shop, turns out none of them know the correct procedure as to how to properly check a vehicles alignment. The Hunter machines are top notch and I have been trained on how to use them properly and showed the shop what they did wrong. Needless to say after spending 2 hours I came to the conclusion that my numbers they gave me were way off. Came home and used some simple trigonometry to calculate my camber here are the results:
RF: -2.7
LF: -3.1
RR: -1.6
LR: -2.0
Need to slot the right front a little more to get it closer to -3 and I will be happy. Also going to change the rear camber to get it closer to -2 if I can.
Front was toed in 1/8 which will be fixed, and the rear was perfect on the toe. Since I don't trust the numbers the shop gave me I'm not going to even worry about caster for now.
That being said all of that will be changed before the DC tour which I leave for in 3 days! To much work still needs to be done!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Well got back from the DC your after driving strait through for over 13 hours! Before I left when adjusting my camber I broke one of the bolts holding the strut to the tower, so that was fun.
The DC tour was awesome and it was cool to see how I stacked up against the other real STF drivers. Shout out to Daniel and his co driver for kicking my ass! Really I think I'm almost there as far as setup and driving. I was basically 1-1.5 seconds behind them on raw time on both days. I account most of that to having 17's instead of 15's as well as me still trying to learn the car. I'm going to keep driving hard and hope to really dial in the car before the end of the year.
All new bushings front and rear are on my to do list and I think that will improve the car by a lot, the 15's should be here within the month so I'm looking forward to how the car will end the year.
Locally I will win my class, and I'm hoping to step it up and win my state championship as well.

Quick question as far as rear camber the corksport camber arms are legal correct? I think they will be way easier to adjust and look like a better unit than my SPC's.
https://vimeo.com/171591653https://vimeo.com/171591812

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Quick question as far as rear camber the corksport camber arms are legal correct? I think they will be way easier to adjust and look like a better unit than my SPC's.
That's a negative. The Corksport rear camber arms use a spherical bearing, which is specifically prohibited in street touring. Furthermore, metal to non metal ratio must not increase in any of the bushing points.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
That's a negative. The Corksport rear camber arms use a spherical bearing, which is specifically prohibited in street touring. Furthermore, metal to non metal ratio must not increase in any of the bushing points.

I didn't think they were legal just making sure! Also is the RSX type S supposed to be in STF? As of the June fast track it's not on the STF list? Since there is a base model don't they have to differentiate between which models are allowed?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Anytime Ken, better to ask questions before you buy and install part than after. It seemed you assumed the other way though.

I'd be sure to thoroughly study the Street and Street Touring rules, especially since you're competing on the national tour now. If it doesn't say in there you can do something in those rules below, you typically can't as a rule of thumb. If you have questions (which you should) keep asking, but try to find it in the rules first. If you're committed enough to drive 13 hours to an event each way, that tells me you should be committed enough to thoroughly study the rules too.

You seem to be a natural at autocross based on the results I've seen vs the very limited amount of seat time experience you have. If you continue to improve, and start directly competing against the top STF guys for trophy and/or contingency spots, they will look over your car more carefully than they do right now, and you want to try to ensure everything is on the up and up if that happens.

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/scca/downloads/000/013/600/2016-3-24_section_13_street_category_b.pdf?1458856378

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/scca/downloads/000/013/602/2016-3-24_section_14_street_touring_category.pdf?1458856541

As far as the RSX is concerned, that page has always just said RSX. I think they did clarify in a past fastrack that it also includes the RSX Type S, but I'm with you, I think they should put it on the page.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts