Mazda3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Tour Protests and RSB squeaking

Regarding these two questions....

Rear sway bar squeaking - the Hotchkis bar comes with grease fittings, thus adequately lubricated. All the Teflon tape does is essentially lube the connection. If kept lubed somehow, no squeaking should occur. Nor should any other noises of any kind.:smile2:

Protests at Tours - Depends on a few things. Most importantly how well you do. If you beat other legal STF guys, how would that make you feel? If you finish dead last, likely most would not care.

Since your mods are non-visual, they likely would never be known. However, by entering STF you are declaring to all that your car is legal.

Why not just run your correct Class? Have fun there. Unless you pull those items you will never be STF legal.

My two cents.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I think this thread really shows the importance of knowing how the rules work, asking questions, and triple checking the rule book before any part touches the car. Soooo critical.

Tough spot for the OP now, either be uncompetitive in FSP, spend substantial money backing up to make the car STF legal, "hope" for DFL at every event as to not get protested, or do well and wait for the protest hammer to come.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I've emailed my region and they told me that it would be fine to still run locally here in STF, however given the strictness of rules at the national events he wouldn't advise it. Since this is the only national type event that I will be attending I will still enter in STF, I'm not concerned about being dead last I just want competition other than 1 other person lol.

And for the record I know the rules, I may not agree with them but I do know them. If a stock clutch is rated to 20% more TQ and HP than stock. With bolt on's and a good OVT tune, that would be pushing the limit as to what our parts could handle and still last. This was my reasoning for the stage 1 clutch. And this pressure plate is still only rated 241 at the flywheel, about 190 at the wheels. Not a huge improvement but enough to make a difference I agree.

I'm not making these mods to be nationally competitive, but rather to have a fun, better handling ride, with parts that will last being that this is my daily driver.

In other news I ordered 17x7.5 RPF1's, should be here by Friday. I'm going to get the RS3 version 2 for tires since they will last a lot longer than the re71's if I decide to daily them for a while. Not to mention almost 100$ cheaper

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Kenlilley, which tour event are you planning on doing? Dixie? I'll be there. Looking forward to meeting you!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yeah I'll be at Dixie although they changed the dates for the 18th which works out great cause that's the very beginning of spring break for me lol, I might go up to the tail of the dragon after Sunday. Stay in Atlanta with my family and spend another day at the tail and then drive home

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Yeah I'll be at Dixie although they changed the dates for the 18th which works out great cause that's the very beginning of spring break for me lol, I might go up to the tail of the dragon after Sunday. Stay in Atlanta with my family and spend another day at the tail and then drive home
Yeah, I saw they moved the event back a couple of weeks. Ha! You and I think alike. I hit the Dragon for two days on the way down to Dixie last year and I think I'll do the same this year.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
My cousins live about 45 minutes outside Atlanta so I'll stay a night there and hit the dragon on Monday, maybe spend the night in Knoxville, dragon again on Tuesday and head home. I'm looking forward to this whole trip, going to be lots of fun. Looking forward to meeting you as well

·
Registered
603 Posts
No ABS and intermittent power steering cutting out on 5 out of 6 runs...yeah I can blame the shitty battery some LOL. :)

LOL don't blame the battery for the results, was all on you ,

1- cheap battery set up, I still have your pics somewhere lol !! ;)
2- Dirty driving.

I don't blame my cheaty results this year on my car, just poor driving.

Still love you, you are an icon

Andres
As for legal and illegal cars...unless you're in the trophies most people don't care. But FWIW a OEM replacement flywheel and Exedy clutch is less than $250 shipped onn Ebay or Amazon...I forget. I replaced mine last year and it wasn't that pricey. Why not just put the right one on? Or at least the legal flywheel? That's 95% of the benefit there.

·
Registered
185 Posts
You main competition should first be the clock. You want to progressively improve your times. Walking the course as many times as you can, and entering as many classes as you can, even if you are not competitive, will give you the most seat time.

Sounds like fun, and I use to do SCCA Autocross back in the day. Made me a better road course racer too.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
No ABS and intermittent power steering cutting out on 5 out of 6 runs...yeah I can blame the shitty battery some LOL. :)

As for legal and illegal cars...unless you're in the trophies most people don't care. But FWIW a OEM replacement flywheel and Exedy clutch is less than $250 shipped onn Ebay or Amazon...I forget. I replaced mine last year and it wasn't that pricey. Why not just put the right one on? Or at least the legal flywheel? That's 95% of the benefit there.
Im also planning on tracking this car as well as Autocross and thought i would benefit from the higher torque rating on the stage 1 pressure plate. As far as the lightweight flywheel, quicker revs equal quicker downshifts so for track duty also thought this would be better.
RPF1's got here a few days ago, tires will be ordered in 2 weeks and then I'm looking at getting either the BC racing ER type front shocks or the shocks from the for sale thread. Not to sure yet but hopefully i will have them before the Dixie Tour.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So I went and changed my bad driver side wheel bearing assembly. However the noise I was hearing didn't totally go away.
Driver side has new bearing, new CV axle, new end links, new ball joints, good coilovers.

Could it be the CV axel? I've never actually had to diagnose one before. Only happens when turning right, or going over bumps.
In the video you can hear clicking when I'm just getting out of the driveway.

http://youtu.be/Svrl1P4Vevs

·
Registered
185 Posts
Drive axle knock would usually happen when accelerating from a stop on either left of right turns. Raise the car and move the axle in and out by hand. Could be a bad new axle assembly?

I sounds more like you have something rubbing on the tire, than a knocking sound.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Having listened to this about 100 times I'm convinced it's the CV axle. That clicking is a definitive sign that it's not right. Having the vibrant header and corksport exhaust doesn't help when trying to listen to this while in the car hence the go pro video.

Nothing is rubbing the tire, I've triple checked that, and replaced practically everything on the front suspension. Having replaced the cv axle about 4-5 months ago I wouldn't have suspected it.
I'll pull it and have it replaced under the warranty that came with it. Basically free other than the hour it take me to change it. I've gotten good at this whole removing front suspension thing.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Waiting to go to the parts store to see if I can get a new axle on warranty since I can't find the receipt. Tires are getting ordered Wednesday. Going with the 215 45 17 RE71's for sure (I've flip flopped about 20 times on this decision).
Also ordered some KWv3 coilovers, I will eventually switch from their progressive springs to a normal 2.5 inch spring in the rear. I got these for a steal so I couldn't pass them up.
First even for this year will be March 6th, could've been in February but the Central Florida region decided to schedule an event on Valentine's Day, girlfriend wasn't all to happy about that lol.

Also someone buy my Megan racing coilovers

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Tires will be here tomorrow, Sunday I will mount them and have them balanced then I can see if I will need spacers.

What's the biggest spacer I can run without needing longer studs?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Tires are mounted and on, don't need spacers as I have about 3-5mm of clearance between the rim and shock body.
KW v3 have been lost in shipping somewhere. FedEx is trying to find them but so far no luck, I was hoping to install them this week so I can get a feel for them, that's obviously not going to happen.
Anybody have any reviews for the Buddyclub super low seat brackets? They still have a double locking slider so I'm hoping they sit lower than the wedge brackets!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tires will be here tomorrow, Sunday I will mount them and have them balanced then I can see if I will need spacers.

What's the biggest spacer I can run without needing longer studs?
Oft said but car dependent: approx 5 mm of spacer. I tried that on my 3 and there was enough thread that I felt comfortable running it. Don't remember the count off the top of my head, though I think it was something like 8 or 9, and 10 or 11 with no spacer.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Well after not hearing anything from fedex I received a wonderful box all the way from Germany! Got to install these yesterday that was a complete pain in the ass. Whoever I bought my car from beat the hell out of the top of the strut enough to make it impossible to stop the shaft from turning while trying to get the top hat off. Allen head was stripped out, vise grip wouldn't hold the shaft good enough, and the hardened chisel I had was making progress going through the nut I just gave up and bought a new top hat.
That being said the coilovers ride great and I actually really like the progressive springs in the rear. I'll see how I like the spring rates even though I know they are way to soft for the front.
I'm going to set the toe at the house using my longacre toe plates I have, as well as corner balance with the race scales. I'm going to try to slot the upper strut mount holes to get some camber, hopefully more than a degree, then I'll take it to get the alignment checked to see where it's at. If I can get close to 2 degrees of camber, toe set how I want it and as much caster as possible I should be pretty much set.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Got new rear endlinks on and did an oil change while I was working. Car feels great with the new tires and coilovers on the on and off ramps. It could use a little more rear spring to help the rear rotate, or I could change the front dampening and make it a little softer to help the front dig in and overpower the rear.

I have free alignment checks at Firestone and they agreed to let me pick my custom measurements. It help to know people there! That being said I want my front and rear toe at zero, rear camber at around -1 to -1.5, front camber close to -2. And I'm not going to worry to much about caster for now, I'll have to make measurements as to where to set everything since this is still my daily driver and I don't want to buy tires every year for daily driving!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Transmission problems

Well my third and fourth gears went out, bad synchros etc etc this is terrible timing considering the tour is in three weeks. A buddy of mine wants to buy my transmission and rebuild it so he can swap it into his Mazda 3. I might end up just getting his and throwing it in for the tour and not worry about it. Sucks that I just put almost 1000$ in it but at least I have a chance at becoming legal again in the class.

From the looks at the other build thread it doesn't seem like it's that hard and I can't justify paying someone to do it again before the tour (funds aren't quite there).

That being said I'm not driving my 95 F350 around which is the worst thing ever for daily driving. I'm averaging close to 15 MPG, thank god diesel is so cheap right now. If I can swap them before the tour then I'll still make the trip up there, if not then it looks like I won't be up there.

21 - 40 of 86 Posts