Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a friend who has an Audi A4 and has a cheap like $40 K&N Air Filter on it from GI Joes I think. Since I don't have the money at the moment for a SRI or CIA I was thinking about putting one of these on with a BPV and hoping for a good sound. Just want to hear your guys' thoughts about it and if there is an increased risk in running a cheap part.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
K&N filters are not "cheap" they are good quality, you'll be fine running it. Might gain you 1-2hp. Personally, I don't see a point in spending the money to change just the filter like that unless you're stock one is dirty and in need of replacement anyways... then it makes sense to upgrade to a K&N filter at that time instead of another stock one.

You probably won't notice a difference in sound by just swapping out the filter, either. Most of the increased/different sounds heard with an aftermarket intake happen because they're not made of plastic like the stock airbox... not because they use a different type of filtering element.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I dropped one into my 3 about 1500 miles ago and there is no difference in sound in or outside of the car. I didn't feel any difference at the top end of the power band nor is there any more "punch" or "seat of your pants" torque that i could feel.

HOWEVER.... i swear that my engine doesn't have to try so hard to maintain speed up steep hills. There are a few uphill climbs on the freeway and side streets to and from work and my engine no longer has to downshift to maintain its speed. I could even creep up some speed without having to downshift. So I believe there is a definite HP and torque gain somewhere, enough to improve driveability, but it isn't enough to "feel" or race with.

As far as gas mileage, I have yet to see any gains whatsoever...in fact my mileage is about 1-2mpg less per tank lately. NOW I don't know if this is in direct affect of the K&N filter or my driving habits. I have heard that taking in more air means the engine has to mix more fuel....but i don't know if that's true. There has been more stress i my life lately so I could be taking it out on my gas pedal. :lol:

Anyway...hope my experiences help! If I were you I would give it a try...its probably the easiest 50 bucks i've spent on this car. Next up will be the Borla exhaust i've been saving up for!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts