Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I did a search but found nothing on the topic...
I found the perfect deck for me! unfortunately, according to crutchfield it does not fit in the 3.

the deck is a JVC KD-AVX44
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDAVX44/JVC-El-Kameleon-KD-AVX44.html?showAll=N&search=KD-AVX44&tp=75&avf=N

here is what the guy at crutchfield says:

The reason the JVC KD-AVX44 does not list to work in your 2004 Mazda 3 is because of how the unit mounts. The receivers that fit your vehicle use the mounts that came with the factory radio to bolt up to the side of a new model. The AVX44 uses a sleeve style mount. Since you would like to try a work around, you may try and build a unit by welding or securing the factory radio brackets to a sleeve and then sliding the new JVC in.

im not a car expert so Im not quite sure what he means. is there something I can buy that would allow me to use this deck in the 3? Im not afraid to build something, but I want to have the option of putting the stock radio back in.

thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
He is incorrect. When you install the metra dash kit you will use a normal sleeve mount. However, my one concern would be clearance for the flap to open without hitting the lip of the dash kit underneath the radio. Worst case you could just use a spacer to bring teh radio out a bit farther, but i don't have a kit in front of me to look at how deep the radio sits.

Either way you certainly wont be using our non-existant factory radio brackets to be mounting any radios. Tell the guy that just because our car is made in japan doesn't mean it's made by toyota or nissan.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! thats all I needed to hear...although if it doesnt fit, I may have to blame it on you. the faceplate is motorized and goes down and out that shouldn't hit anything...right? Im not familiar with the dash kit

·
Registered
38,019 Posts
Wow. My alpine unit also comes with a sleeve system, but Crutchfield definitely says it fits anyway.

And yes, the radio will sit pretty deep with the metra kit. Mine hits the lip but there's enough room to get a CD in there (if I wanted to use a CD for some reason) and it comes out enough to remove the faceplate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts