Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and girls :)

This morning I had the pleasure to meet the owner (won't put his name for his privacy) of the red MS3 that is being used as a "test mule" for development of the goodies we all are after :)

After talking to him for a few minutes, he showed me the car and how the XEDE "black box" was tucked neatly in the engine compartment. There were just a few wires that were hooked up to the ECU. Seriously, this looks easier than people might think and this is even w/o the P&P connector.

After this he goes "Do you want to drive it?".... I told myself, this is a rethorical question for sure... lol

I took the car out for a spin and it's just AMAZING what a "little tuning" (thanks Shiv/Corky!) can do to this car. As we all know, this car runs waaaay rich and it definitely proved that by leaning it out while keeping it safe, the car went from a "wild child" to a "WILDER child" :)

With traction control ON, I was having "FUN" fighting the massive torquesteer in 2nd, 3rd and 4th when punched hard.

The one thing I noticed is that while my car runs out of steam by 5500 RPM, give or take, this car kept building power even at around 6K RPM!!

It was very smooth and predictable.

What I really liked was how "easy" the car behaved. It run like a stock car, no idle issues, no hesitation... just solid. Nobody will notice this is "not" stock!

It's definitely a sleeper. Seriously, even with everything else stock, the change is amazing.

I know the car goes back to BEGI in 1 or 2 weeks for IC, exhaust (if needed), Intake development. I can't imagine what these other changes will do.

The future is indeed bright.

To ALL the tuners out there : THANKS! and KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!

Carlos
ps. I am not in any way affiliated to BEGI. This is just a review of what they have done to the MS3 so far. :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
[quote author=Pololo_MS3 link=topic=66162.msg1134625#msg1134625 date=1168020940]
What I really liked was how "easy" the car behaved. It run like a stock car, no idle issues, no hesitation... just solid. Nobody will notice this is "not" stock!

It's definitely a sleeper. Seriously, even with everything else stock, the change is amazing.
[/quote]

That is awesome. I just drove a pumped up turbo Miata the other day that I was considering buying as a fun second car for my SP23 and was disappointed with how invasive the changes were. LOUD turbo, super-stiff clutch, non-factory feeling brakes (Wilwood big brake kit), etc. So I opted for a Mazdaspeed instead. And being able to get more HP in the Speed3 in such a non-invasive fashion is awesome. I love Q-ships/sleepers.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
mmmmm test drive, wish I had access to some of that. :D
glad to hear the positive review, but honestly I wouldnt expect otherwise.

·
Registered
98 Posts
[quote author=Pololo_MS3 link=topic=66162.msg1134625#msg1134625 date=1168020940]
Hey guys and girls :)

This morning I had the pleasure to meet the owner (won't put his name for his privacy) of the red MS3 that is being used as a "test mule" for development of the goodies we all are after :)

I took the car out for a spin and it's just AMAZING what a "little tuning" (thanks Shiv/Corky!) can do to this car. As we all know, this car runs waaaay rich and it definitely proved that by leaning it out while keeping it safe, the car went from a "wild child" to a "WILDER child" :)
[/quote]

You are a lucky dog, indeed! A less restrained man might well have pulled the trigger right then and there. I'm curious, did they give you a sense of how much of that enormous power increase comes from leaning out the mixture and how much comes from loosening up the knock correction parameters to allow greater timing advance? This was Shiv's main emphasis per a Sport Compact Car article on tuning a WRX a couple years back (http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0309_project_subaru_wrx_part_5/, 1/2 way through paragraph 5). But maybe this engine runs so rich that more power is coming from leaning out the mixture?

·
Registered
75 Posts
[quote author=quiet desperado link=topic=66162.msg1135914#msg1135914 date=1168090187]
But maybe this engine runs so rich that more power is coming from leaning out the mixture?[/quote]
ALOT of power comes from that! When the AFR goes off the scale around 4500 rpm.... anything leaner will always make more power. But that is Mazda's "built in safety feature".

The timing has not changed much over stock. The main change is in the MAP and MAF voltages. And that boost thing too. :)
Stephanie

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only main concern I have when leaning a turbo engine is that this "extra" richness in terms of AFR are there not only for safety reasons but also to cool the engine, not the turbo, the engine.

This is what I used to do in my Miata. If I saw the EGT temps (at the collector) going above 1600 F, the way to cool this was by adding a bit more fuel in the tuning. Yes it'll make less power, not much less, but it'll still be reliable and at about 1450-1550 F my car run like a champ!

The ONE factor that will make me wanting to go with any system out there is RELIABILITY! Who cares if I can say "I made 400 HP for 2 blocks"!! This is my daily driver now and thus it needs to be reliable as well as having the "wife" toggle switch where I can switch between maps :)

Carlos

1 - 8 of 8 Posts