Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just installed it last night.
everything else is fine but 1st gear seems very difficult to engage.
i have to snap my shifter left and up quickly to go into 1st.
if i try slowly, it won't even go up.

anybody experiencing same issue?
is there anything i can do to make it smoother?

fyi, i installled bushinga as well.

thanks!

·
Registered
765 Posts
did you use enough (as in covered the whole mofo enough) lithium grease on the ball and socket?

·
Registered
778 Posts
ive heard that some people have difficulty getting into 1st but not to this degree

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Pop the cover off and see if your cables are twisted, binding or otherswise out of alignment?

·
Registered
765 Posts
[quote author=kwon1982 link=topic=138134.msg2977760#msg2977760 date=1236277621]
Yep I did grease (lithium based) the ball and socket. I'm sure I covered it enough.

Any ideas?
[/quote]

You shouldn't have any problems (given the fact that you had installed it correctly) shifting through the gates. If i were you, I'll take it off and re-install them. Make sure you didn't drop anything that will hinder the shift pattern/path. You'll know you got it right when you feel a slight "click" as you shift through all the gears. Do you still have the stock shifter weight attached? If so, try to remove it and see how it feels.

·
Registered
388 Posts
+1 on the stock shifter weight.

the stock weight is calibrated for the longer shifter lever (more leverage).
By going to the shorter shifter you lose this leverage advantage and have to make up for it with muscle.

Taking the weight off may not solve your problem, but it will definitely help.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for kind responses.

I took a look at the shifter assembly first thing this morning.

I forgot to put that white plastic bearing on the left side of the shifter :oops:

Now it feels just like what I wanted!! So happy. :)

I STRONGLY recommend TWM SS for ms3 drivers out there!

·
Registered
765 Posts
there you go bud..... :lol: glad that monkey's off your back. now....spank that monkey, or should i say, slap it :csweeney:

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I had problems after installing mine as well. Everything seemed fine then a couple days later I couldn't get into reverse. Turned out a small ball (from an old mouse) that I keep in the car to roll around when bored had fallen in when I was working on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts