Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed this past Sunday and now the right set of angel eyes aren't working. I'm in Wisconsin and the temp this morning was 6 degrees above zero...I don't know if that would have anything to do with it but I'm assuming not since the left one is working fine. Is there anything I can check before ripping the headlight apart and getting them replaced?

Description: High beam ring glows only litely by where the wires are but nothing else lights up not even a little bit. Low beam ring doesn't light up at all not even by the wires like the high beam ring.

I'll try and turn them on again after work to see if they come on but doubtful...When I get home I'll post a pic of what it is I'm experiencing, that'll show my problem better than my description.

I have the Chromium Angel Eyes from Dabears2k.

Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Angel Eyes ARE temperature sensitive. A partially or unlit ring is usually a sign of low temps. I would try them again on a warmer day or with the car in a garage before taking any action.

·
Registered
38,702 Posts
Was there a recent rain, or did you wash your car? A lot of times the connections get a big soggy from water/dampness that it causes an angel eye to go out. It has happened to me twice... but within a few hours once everything dried out it was working again just fine.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote author=LaraW link=topic=135151.msg2908632#msg2908632 date=1233671734]
Was there a recent rain, or did you wash your car? A lot of times the connections get a big soggy from water/dampness that it causes an angel eye to go out. It has happened to me twice... but within a few hours once everything dried out it was working again just fine.
[/quote]

No recent rain or water on car since install. We did however get about an inch of snow over night but I don't think any snow would have gotten in there. I don't have a garage so the 3 is just parked in the driveway.

·
Registered
38,702 Posts
Well, snow can melt a bit and seep into the engine bay, especially if you have some on your hood and bumper when you start the car and drive around... it could be the result of that.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote author=danielj link=topic=135151.msg2908629#msg2908629 date=1233671620]
Angel Eyes ARE temperature sensitive. A partially or unlit ring is usually a sign of low temps. I would try them again on a warmer day or with the car in a garage before taking any action.
[/quote]

Wouldn't that mean that the left rings shouldn't work either. I'll give it a shot and see...I have nothing to lose really. Thanks.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
No, not necessarily. I've had my right high beam go dim on cold days while the others are fine.

These can be finicky. And to Lara's point, they don't like moisture. Make sure all of your wires are sealed up good. I use heat shrink and super33 electrical tape on every install I do.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=LaraW link=topic=135151.msg2908656#msg2908656 date=1233672352]
Well, snow can melt a bit and seep into the engine bay, especially if you have some on your hood and bumper when you start the car and drive around... it could be the result of that.
[/quote]

I'll have to see on my way home from work today. Thanks!

·
Registered
38,702 Posts
No problem... good luck!!

As Daniel said, once you get everything working again, make sure you grab some heat shrink and electrical tape to seal those puppies up good. :)

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Yea a similar thing happened to me with one of them not totally lighting up, but after I left them on for a few minutes that last one was lit up just fine like the other ones, and it hasn't happened again since. And I agree about them being temperature sensitive, when it got real cold in my garage they all were a little dim until they warmed up.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nothing yet...but now the high beam ring doesn't even have the very light lite by the wires anymore.

It's still pretty cold so I'm hoping it's just the cold right now keeping them from lighting up.

Besides the cold I have no idea what else it could be. I have all connections heat shrunk as necessary but I have not taped them. I will however go through and tape all connections after I can get this figured out.

For the time being though I took out the fuse thingy where all the wires (browns and red) from the lights get connected into out so that the left rings don't lite up. I hope it doesn't hurt the set of rings in the long run.

I'm frustrated :x :x

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I've heard of people getting aftermarket ignitors (the thing that you plug the light harnesses into) from Radio Shack that apparently work a lot better. A few have had them go bad and that's how they found out instead of getting a whole new kit.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[quote author=Mica07ms3 link=topic=135151.msg2910646#msg2910646 date=1233716587]
I've heard of people getting aftermarket ignitors (the thing that you plug the light harnesses into) from Radio Shack that apparently work a lot better. A few have had them go bad and that's how they found out instead of getting a whole new kit.
[/quote]

Could you give a pic? I'd like to try that if the weather isn't the issue. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
[quote author=X Squared link=topic=135151.msg2911250#msg2911250 date=1233753270]
[quote author=Mica07ms3 link=topic=135151.msg2910646#msg2910646 date=1233716587]
[/quote]

Could you give a pic? I'd like to try that if the weather isn't the issue. Thanks!
[/quote]

I don't have a pic, you'd have to ask one of them that did it. Run a search, you should be able to find the thread.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Going to also vouch for the low temp thing... Whenever it drops below 30 my right highbeam ring nearly doesn't come on. The one next to it stays pretty dim too. After driving a bit the engine seems to warm them up though.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright guys, the weather has warmed up to mid 30's low 40's and still nothing from the passenger rings.

I need more ideas of what it could be. Could it be a bad inverter? I haven't had a chance to rip apart the bumper to undo the wiring and swap the inverters to see if that could be it. I am clueless and any help would be appreciated.

I've p.m.'ed Dabears2k but no reply. I'm assuming that he's just taking a long weekend or something b/c all posts I've read has been nothing but good things about customer service and quick response...but just my luck I guess that I'm having issues when he's gone for a long weekend. :(

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Thanks DanielJ.

We don't do PM's anymore.

As far as testing goes, it sounds like you have a bad ballast. You need to move the working side over to the non-working side and see if that fixes the non-working side.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.