Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Yesterday my buddy and I installed the Medieval/Darkstar Transmission mount (along w/ boost gauge & Turbo Timer) and all I gotta say is...WOW. Feels GREAT!! Did some more driving around tonight to get a better feel and better impression and it just seems to feel better and better. I didn't know there was that much room for improvement, even considering I already have an upgraded rear mount (SU)!

The pain in the ass install was well worth it!! This is how the car should feel from the factory. Our stock mounts are really piss poor (not just the rear mount). The stock lower bracket that bolts to the transmission is a lightweight crappy aluminum POS, no wonder that thing snaps in half. The engine feels even more planted and solid now than with the rear mount alone. To try and quantify it, the improvement with adding this mount (if you already have a rear mount) is about the same improvement gained going from the stock rear mount to a solid aftermarket rear mount. It feels that much better. The best part about it is the clutch engagement is AWESOME and feels sooo good. Shifting has drastically improved. No more rocking back and forth when shifting even if you shift sloppy. It just goes FORWARD! As for wheelhop, I have bald-ass stock summer tires in cold ass weather and I still got slight wheelhop but not nearly as much as before (I still got bad wheelhop in the cold even after the SU MM). We'll see how it feels with my new tires when it warms up. Here's the second best part...NO ADDED VIBES! Not even at idle, I'm serious. You can't even tell it's in there until you start driving, then you know in a good way. By looking, you can't even tell it's in there either, nice and stealthy black. I did notice a slight whining sound at idle and low rpms with the windows down, probably from the transmission. It sounds kinda cool actually. Not bad or loud at all. Not nearly as loud as in that video of the other tranny mount (god no).

Stock upper tranny mount (You can probably use those two washers for new mount)

Shitty Aluminum lower bracket (bolts to transmission)

Mount & bracket together w/ bolt sticking out (how appropriate :lol:)

View in engine bay

Install was kinda rough, I admit. Be ready to do much forced fitment. Have a rubber mallet, hammer, breaker bar w/ 12" extension handy. Remove battery, support the tranny with a jack, constantly raising and lowering to fit. I'm not sure where the washers were supposed to go but I did use a couple washers under the lower plate, on the bolt closest to driver. I did that to tilt the bushing slightly forward to match up to the top plate's bolt holes. You also have to remove one of the shifter linkages (easy) to access one of the bolts. Sorry I don't have pics, didn't bring my camera to my bros house. If you have any questions, hit me up in a PM and I'll help you as best as I can.

Medieval got it right with this mount, replacing both the lower and upper tranny support mounts. I just hope it holds up...the transmission.

Must-have Tools:
Torque Wrench (I used 65 ft/lbs)
Rubber Mallet
Hammer
Breaker Bar
12" or longer extension (to make room for breaker bar)
Various Metric and Standard Sockets (don't remember exact sizes)
Loctite
Lots o' Muscles
Patience

·
Registered
300 Posts
Keep us posted man. I'm going to purchase the three medieval mounts when Darkstar does another GB after the release of the STEEL rear mount(Current rear mounts are aluminum while the other two are steel). So saying that, I'll be interested in hearing from you in the future.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
i should be receiving my medieval trans and passenger mounts...hope i have good experience like you do

btw did you order a passenger side mount?

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
makes m,e cosider that 6 speed swap more and more

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am loving the way the car feels more and more everyday, it really brings a smile to my face.

[quote author=steven88 link=topic=134457.msg2890495#msg2890495 date=1232950052]
i should be receiving my medieval trans and passenger mounts...hope i have good experience like you do

btw did you order a passenger side mount?
[/quote]

No, not yet. But after this one, I am strongly considering it!

[quote author=darkstarmotorsports link=topic=134457.msg2890625#msg2890625 date=1232953198]
Great review!!!
[/quote]

Thanks! Great part!

[quote author=filphil link=topic=134457.msg2890364#msg2890364 date=1232946842]
Keep us posted man. I'm going to purchase the three medieval mounts when Darkstar does another GB after the release of the STEEL rear mount(Current rear mounts are aluminum while the other two are steel). So saying that, I'll be interested in hearing from you in the future.
[/quote]

Yeah definitely hit me up if you have any questions.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
i demand pics!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=chillin in the milan link=topic=134457.msg2892002#msg2892002 date=1233013643]
i demand pics!
[/quote]

:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
not from there web page

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[quote author=chillin in the milan link=topic=134457.msg2892273#msg2892273 date=1233021390]
not from there web page
[/quote]

Yeah, I know. I didn't have my camera at the time, kinda disappointing. But I will take pics of it when I check the bolts. Not sure when though.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
you could check now...

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
[quote author=thapr3dat0r link=topic=134457.msg2890300#msg2890300 date=1232944499]
... I'm not sure where the washers were supposed to go but I did use a couple washers under the lower plate, on the bolt closest to driver...
[/quote]

Did you put the two washers around the bushing? And one under the battery tray?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[quote author=Ferdball link=topic=134457.msg2892619#msg2892619 date=1233029637]
[quote author=thapr3dat0r link=topic=134457.msg2890300#msg2890300 date=1232944499]
... I'm not sure where the washers were supposed to go but I did use a couple washers under the lower plate, on the bolt closest to driver...
[/quote]

Did you put the two washers around the bushing? And one under the battery tray?
[/quote]

No, the bolt going through the bushing was barely long enough. It just slightly poked through the nut.

If you look at the pics above, the mount has two parts, one that bolts to the tranny (lower part w/ the bushing) and one that bolts to the frame (upper part w/o bushing). On the lower mount there are three bolt holes in a triangular shape. I had to put two washers under the bolt hole on the most acute corner of the mount (closest to steering wheel when in place). This was to bring the bushing forward towards the front of the car a bit to line up with the upper mount. This was the only way we could get it to fit. Then we hammered the bolt through the mounts cause it was a TIGHT fit. Hope this answered your questions.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[quote author=chillin in the milan link=topic=134457.msg2892355#msg2892355 date=1233023658]
you could check now...
[/quote]

Lol, maybe when it stops snowing. :)

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
[quote author=thapr3dat0r link=topic=134457.msg2893353#msg2893353 date=1233071300]
No, the bolt going through the bushing was barely long enough. It just slightly poked through the nut.

If you look at the pics above, the mount has two parts, one that bolts to the tranny (lower part w/ the bushing) and one that bolts to the frame (upper part w/o bushing). On the lower mount there are three bolt holes in a triangular shape. I had to put two washers under the bolt hole on the most acute corner of the mount (closest to steering wheel when in place). This was to bring the bushing forward towards the front of the car a bit to line up with the upper mount. This was the only way we could get it to fit. Then we hammered the bolt through the mounts cause it was a TIGHT fit. Hope this answered your questions.
[/quote]

So you put washers under Stud C in my picture? I didn't have to do that. I did have to put a spacer under Bolt A.

Also, Darkstar says that washers are supposed to go around the bushing, but I dont think there is room. The bolt is short, but they're supposed to be sending a longer bolt.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the pics! Yes, I had to put two washers under "Stud C". I didn't however have to put any under "Bolt A". Hmmm, hope I didn't screw something up. I'm hoping it's because we were supporting the front of the tranny causing it to tilt backwards making us have to lift the back of the mount forward to line up properly.

Yeah the horizontal bolt is short, was kinda worried about that. We used thread locker, though. If that bolt slips....the transmission is on the floor :shock:

I wonder if Darkstar or Medieval can chime in and shed some light.

BTW, OP updated w/ pics of stock mounts, for what its worth.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I dont think we did anything wrong cause the engine was raised up to where it should be. if we left the motor down alittle we would have needed to put one under stud a to move it back alittle. I think placement of that washer is based on where the trans/engine is positions when bolting it down. As far as the bushing, yes that bolt was really to short to put any washers there, also it doesnt really make sense to put metal washers in between the bushing and mount. There is the possiblility of raddle when the trans moves and isnt that why the bushings are there anyways? We just need to make sure those bolts all stay tight and we are good to go ;)

1 - 20 of 81 Posts