Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got an insurance settlement of about $100. Not much money but it's going towards the car because the COBB SF intake I bought has given me the mod bug...but I want to spend it on the car for sure. Any ideas for mods? $100 is not the limit but I don't want to spend a ton of money seeing as I'm a poor college student. So pretty much I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive mod. I'm very open to suggestions.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I say rear motor mount, maybe shifter bushings. They will give you a really nice feel without spending to much money.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The motor mounts and the shifter bushings are mods that I have thought about. I'm relatively new to car modification...would you think that I would be able to either of those things by myself or should I pay someone to install them? Brands and prices?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Both mods are very straight forward, They should come with instructions but I know you can find How To's on them.
Just take your time and you should have no problems.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I agree with shifter bushings and rear motor mount...those are the two modifications I first went with

after that, I would say go with the cobb sf and turbo inlet combo....it might be out of your price range....but it's definitely a nice addition to your car

all the other upgrades get pretty expensive....like downpipe, FMIC, TMIC cobb AP, etc.....so I would stick with the rear motor mount and shifter bushings for now

Cp-e makes a REAL nice rear motor mount....kind of pricey...but definitely worth it for minimal vibrations and maximum performance....

TWM, mazda3mods, street unit all make shifter bushings

·
Registered
462 Posts
Agree, if you've already got an intake, think bushings and torque mount. I'm a big fan of the corksport inserts, and I had a SU previous to that. If you don't beat on your car much and don't want added harshness, the inserts are a great choice. Cheapest, too, and look stock unless you look *very* hard... which is good for any warranty visits. All the mounts are good products, really, just up to your personal preference.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
race pipe: good bang for buck

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote author=evo2ms3 link=topic=135959.msg2929359#msg2929359 date=1234374607]
race pipe: good bang for buck
[/quote]

Trying to stay CARB legal...

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Is your Cobb intake CARB legal? I don't think it is yet. Go back to stock when needed.

·
Registered
358 Posts
What part of the bay are you from. There is a great mazda presence here and you can get a lot of great assistance as well. check out your local forum MOCCforums.com

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[quote author=trdsw link=topic=135959.msg2930753#msg2930753 date=1234407455]
What part of the bay are you from. There is a great mazda presence here and you can get a lot of great assistance as well. check out your local forum MOCCforums.com
[/quote]

I'm from Castro Valley, but I'm going to school in Davis. I travel betwen both and can go anywhere in between. I know about MOCC but haven't registered yet. You guys having a meet soon?

·
Registered
723 Posts
you could do shifter bushings and corksport motor mount inserts for less than $100 if you wanted to. the inserts are great if you aren't planning to do much more than the intake, and don't want the added vibrations of a full mount replacement.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[quote author=Strizzo link=topic=135959.msg2932681#msg2932681 date=1234478353]
you could do shifter bushings and corksport motor mount inserts for less than $100 if you wanted to. the inserts are great if you aren't planning to do much more than the intake, and don't want the added vibrations of a full mount replacement.
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm not really planning on doingt many power mods. THe car is still pretty new and I don't want to get in too deep with all that warranty crap. I plan on doing some autocross though so do you think the corksports are strong enough?

·
Registered
462 Posts
IMHO yes the CS mounts would be great for that. The harder mounts I'd be more inclined to recommend for drag strips or anything where there are a lot of really hard (i.e. no-lift) shifts going on with lots of power adders.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks...I'm not really into running my car that hard, especially in a straight line. Corksports it is, plus I could always upgrade :)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Sounds good man, just make sure you get the black version if you're trying to keep it stealth!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
462 Posts
Those are correct! Understand, these won't feel much different than stock, but that's the idea. You're giving a bit more support against torque rotating the engine so much under load and quick transitions (gear changes under boost, engine braking, etc).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts