Mazda3 Forums banner

Just got my MazdaSpeed CAI!

33K views 469 replies 77 participants last post by  Nikolai 
#1 ·
Guess I am the first on the board!

Here are the pix everyone wants:

The intake is very well made, the two pipes are TIG welded and the welds are of excellent quality and appearance (there is some minor over penetration, no big deal)
There are two silicone couplers: one 90*, one straight
Two MazdaSpeed die cut stickers (would look good on my toolbox ;-) )
Two bottles of cleaner for the filter (this is good for one cleaning at 20,000 miles if you follow the instructions)
One AEM dry-flow filter
One splash shield
Bolts, clamps, and hardware all packed neatly in Styrofoam popcorn with MazdaSpeed on the side of the box :p

The instructions are clear, and should be enough for anyone to follow. (Mazda wrote them for their own techs)
It is not necessary to remove the front bumper as with the CP-e CAI.

Not much else to say about it now... I paid $310 and picked up at Tonkin after work (guess I had to pay shipping too, not really bothered about it though)

I will be installing this Saturday at the latest. (and sometime after that my TurboXS race pipe and Hybrid BOV might actually arrive)

And I will leave you with a pix of intakes being loaded onto the UPS truck (one trip of many)

See less See more
#106 ·
Matt how hard was it to install without taking off the bumper? There is no way in hell i am taking off the bumper, i will break several of those clippy things and have a sagging bumper. Did you take off the front wheel? I installed a CAI on my MSP and it wasnt that hard. If its a royal pain then i am taking a trip to the dealer.

#107 ·
[quote author=dread link=topic=70133.msg1225398#msg1225398 date=1172188580]
is your splash shield upside down? It looks as though it should be the other way and not on top of the intake. Thanks for the pics and the vids. How long do you think the install would have been without removing the bumper.
[/quote]

no I dont think it go any other way if u look at the intake it has v that where u put the srews,
it protect it from the vent from the tire side wall, water splash , maybe dripping on the hood, I know I had dripping problem with injen CAi on mazda3 sedan which cause a check engine on to come on

the bumper removal only take about 10 min to remove no beggie, it give you clear access to what you are working on , I done it so many time with the previews Mazda3 sedan so Im familiar with all the srews,I think the speed3 is much more easy to remove the OEM CAI, I just did not want to jack the car and remove the tires, I'm sure someone here will figure out how to installed it without even removing the tires,

#109 ·
[quote author=sgon link=topic=70133.msg1226526#msg1226526 date=1172228730]

the bumper removal only take about 10 min to remove no beggie, it give you clear access to what you are working on , I done it so many time with the previews Mazda3 sedan so Im familiar with all the srews,I think the speed3 is much more easy to remove the OEM CAI, I just did not want to jack the car and remove the tires, I'm sure someone here will figure out how to installed it without even removing the tires,

[/quote]

You know, I may be an idiot, but I couldn't figure out how to remove the bumper when I added a low-tone horn. Can you do a step-by-step? Having worked from under the wheel well, I can see how it might be easier to remove the bumper.

#110 ·
FIVE MORE DAYS!!!! :madthrow: :cry: :grr: :tense:

#111 ·
Matt .. please do tell how you got around that problem you had. I am sure we will all have that problem or something close. I am not objected to taking off the bumper, but would rather do it with just taking off the wheel if possible.

Second Question to anyone:
Once installed, how do you clean the filter? Do you have to take the tire off again / or possible bumper :( - or can you get to it another way? (I'm pretty sure from the pics you need to remove the tire / bumper to get to it).

Third Question: Any chance there is an electric form of that installation guide? or someone can make an electric form? I don't get it until Wednesday, and would like to see all that is needed before it gets here - to figure out if a small lift will make it easier.

#112 ·
to people who think the front bumper is so easy to remove, obviously you havent tried yet.
the fog wires are a HUGE PITA due to them being tied into the bumper and the ambient temp wire is a HUGE PITA since its attached to the bumper as well.
get under there and then come back and say how easy it was to remove those clips and get it all off the bumper prior to removal.

#114 ·
Seems to me the way to do it is just remove the wheel and fender splash shield. Maybe take the bottom engine splash shield off to get a little more access. But man, taking the bumper off is not cool to me. Getting it back on making it fitting right would be the biggest challenge. :(

#115 ·
Thats what I am thinking - Taking the tire off and the bottom fender splash shield looks to be the way intended. I am also wondering, because Cleaning the thing will be a PITA if I cant find a easy way to get that Fender splash shield off.

#116 ·
[quote author=CosmicBlueMS3 link=topic=70133.msg1226920#msg1226920 date=1172246723]
to people who think the front bumper is so easy to remove, obviously you havent tried yet.
the fog wires are a HUGE PITA due to them being tied into the bumper and the ambient temp wire is a HUGE PITA since its attached to the bumper as well.
get under there and then come back and say how easy it was to remove those clips and get it all off the bumper prior to removal.
[/quote]

bumper removal
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=41782.0

ive had my bumper off several times. you do not need to disconnect all the wires. just lay a blanket down in front of your car and set the bumper on it with the wires connected.

trying to get the resonator out with the bumper on is like pulling a 10in ball thorugh a 5in hole.

#119 ·
here some help

this how you gain access without removal of bumper , once the front tire is remove u need to remove 2 plastic srews on the tire vent, now you need to remove 3 srews at the buttom bumper next to the tire vent, once the srews are remove, plastic vent thing can be folden to the side while your installing

buttom of the bumper after three srews where remove

http://youtube.com/watch?v=l2jUmDhvlRk :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

freeway video should be loaded soon :p :p

#120 ·
[quote author=diablospeed link=topic=70133.msg1227300#msg1227300 date=1172255110]
looks like fun... :shock:

I am glad I was too eager and bought the CPE.

I'm not saying it's better, but easier to install. :D :D :D
[/quote]

the install is not what people are having issue with its the uninstall of the factory ish once its out the part goes in pretty simple.

#122 ·
Damn sgon,

Thanks a ton man - that looks super simple compared to taking off the bumper. Question, do you still need to take the tire off - almost looks like you can turn the wheel to get enough clearance, although I cant tell yet. At the very least, it looks like you wont have to take the tire off to clean the filter, since taking off the tire splash gaurd with the tire turned should give you enough room to clean/change filter.

[quote author=sgon link=topic=70133.msg1227303#msg1227303 date=1172255244]
here some help

this how you gain access without removal of bumper , once the front tire is remove u need to remove 2 plastic srews on the tire vent, now you need to remove 3 srews at the buttom bumper next to the tire vent, once the srews are remove, plastic vent thing can be folden to the side while your installing

buttom of the bumper after three srews where remove
<removed for size of post>

http://youtube.com/watch?v=l2jUmDhvlRk :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

freeway video should be loaded soon :p :p
[/quote]

BTW - in case I didnt say it in the past week, you all F*KING ROX!

#123 ·
I am so excited to get mine in - I must be one of the few that has to wait till Feb 28 :( (damn backwater south Louisiana).

I cant wait to see a dyno of this thing. I hope someone has a dyno chart before and after so we can get a good comparison. I would love to do it, but the closest place I trust to dyno my car is 4 hours away.
:klavergreg: :wiggle:

#125 ·
Doing a baseline dyno on Monday morning. After the ECU learns that it has much more air coming in and it feels like it is up to snuff I will be doing an after dyno as well. If I can get a scanner I will post them.

#126 ·
[quote author=c0ldFuzion link=topic=70133.msg1227432#msg1227432 date=1172257944]
I am so excited to get mine in - I must be one of the few that has to wait till Feb 28 :( (damn backwater south Louisiana).

I cant wait to see a dyno of this thing. I hope someone has a dyno chart before and after so we can get a good comparison. I would love to do it, but the closest place I trust to dyno my car is 4 hours away.
:klavergreg: :wiggle:
[/quote][quote author=jflash link=topic=70133.msg1227463#msg1227463 date=1172258347]
i have to wait until the 28th also. :(

i am getting before and after dynos. :D
[/quote]

Im waiting till the 28th as well :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.