Mazda3 Forums banner
461 - 470 of 470 Posts

· Registered
1,844 Posts
[quote author=Tjay link=topic=70133.msg1293131#msg1293131 date=1174961370]
[quote author=NoobInACan link=topic=70133.msg1293049#msg1293049 date=1174959606]
[quote author=Tjay link=topic=70133.msg1291219#msg1291219 date=1174891853]
[quote author=NoobInACan link=topic=70133.msg1290648#msg1290648 date=1174873896]
real quick- post-install, I was left with the following:
1) three bolts (two from the resonator and one from the air deflector)
Not sure exactly which are you refering too. Which resonator?
2) two screws (from removing the MAF sensor)
3) one white shit clip for the bottom piece of the stock intake box
4) rubber thingy for the bottom piece of the stock intake box
5) air filter
6) top piece of the air intake box along with the hose.
7) half broken air deflector (cause I ripped it out)

In total: 10 items.

Everything else seems right.
[/quote]
[/quote]

oops - my bad. I mean fuel pump resistor ballast.
[/quote]

For the resistor ballast. You should have 2 bolts not 3.
[/quote]

yeah that's what I've got

1) three bolts (two from the resistor ballast and one from the air deflector)

· Registered
1,844 Posts
[quote author=badfish2 link=topic=70133.msg1296812#msg1296812 date=1175102250]
Can someone please post the instructions online, I'm deciding whether to install myself, or have the dealer install?
[/quote]

you do not have the instructions that came with the kit ?
read them over and over and follow them to the core.

give yourself at least 3 to 4 hours. you will need one small jack stand.
make sure you also have all the tools that are listed in the instructions. I really didn't need the ratchet extensions.

· Registered
179 Posts
[quote author=NoobInACan link=topic=70133.msg1297631#msg1297631 date=1175124553]
[quote author=badfish2 link=topic=70133.msg1296812#msg1296812 date=1175102250]
Can someone please post the instructions online, I'm deciding whether to install myself, or have the dealer install?
[/quote]

you do not have the instructions that came with the kit ?
read them over and over and follow them to the core.

give yourself at least 3 to 4 hours. you will need one small jack stand.
make sure you also have all the tools that are listed in the instructions. I really didn't need the ratchet extensions.
[/quote]

I don't have the kit in hand, the dealer has it on order, but I want to see if I can tackle it....so if anyone can post the directions, it'd be most appreciated!

· Registered
97 Posts
Just installed mine today. Took me a solid 2.5 hours and i've worked on cars all of my life. My dealer had quoted me $180 to do it and after I finished the installation it certainly didn't seem as ridiculous of a quote to me as it did before!!! I will scan the instructions if I get a chance tomorrow for you and post them.
As for the intake itself---I must say, 2nd and 3rd gear are non-stop torque now! I floored it on a long sweeping turn and I actually felt the blood rushing to my head. And, as other have stated, you can definitely hear the turbo now. Not sure if I like the sound as much as others here do though, to be honest. At times it sounds almost like a wheezing. It does sound sweet with the windows down though! Odd how that is....And you get the BOV sound but in a more subtle way. Now, on to bigger and better things....

· Registered
458 Posts
K, I've finally read all 600 pages of this thread, on my quest for the "best" intake! After enough fluid dynamics classes, I know that there are far too many variables in knowing whether or not, at what engine speeds/loads a curve in the intake tract, at what radius, will produce how much turbulent flow, as well as velocity and density variability, at the section at which the MAF is installed.

Short of somebody modeling this with CFD (I had access a couple years ago to software but don't now, unfortunately), seems like the fuel trim settings before/after CAI installation is the only source of raw data to indicate how severe the problem really is. I'd really like to see more people with access to scan tools post this kind of data!

Sans more data, I'm going to offer my engineering intuition and design practices as less-desirable means of objective analysis. For laminar flow, as a rule of thumb, several tube diameters of length are needed after an elbow to ensure flow has stabilized. I'm not inclined to believe we have laminar at all operational states, in which case more straight section is needed for flow stabilization.

With that knowledge in hand, the CPE intake intuitively is clearly a better choice for MAF accuracy.

On the other hand, I don't like the idea that most intakes on the market, except for the MS offering, do not retain the stock splash guard, or include a replacement. And I haven't seen a "finished" installed picture of the MS unit next to the fender guard to be sure even the MS splash guard would work (work well enough for me to be comfortable with it, that is...). I know the chances of water ingestion are rare, but just knowing how much dirt is usually in the water that has the potential to splash onto my intake, would be enough to bother me.

So, dammit, I'm not sure which intake I'll go with yet, but it's looking like I have some time to decide, since my MS3 won't arrive for another few weeks to a month. For now, I'm leaning towards the CPE unit.

*As a side note, I'm highly-impressed by the machined MAF housing used by CPE (pics shown in this thread). If CPE is willing to make a piece of hardware that requires that much time/materials/research to provide a quality product, as opposed to simply going with a standard-size aluminum tube stock, then that speaks volumes to me as to the level of engineering that went into this product, and how it should respond well on a MZR-DISI that has undergone many more rounds of upgrades/tuning... but if I knew that an intake would be my ONLY mod (when is that EVER the case?!), I'd probably be fairly comfortable installing any of the 4 intakes currently being sold at this time.

· Registered
601 Posts
[quote author=Nikolai link=topic=70133.msg1415897#msg1415897 date=1179354139]
On the other hand, I don't like the idea that most intakes on the market, except for the MS offering, do not retain the stock splash guard, or include a replacement. And I haven't seen a "finished" installed picture of the MS unit next to the fender guard to be sure even the MS splash guard would work (work well enough for me to be comfortable with it, that is...). I know the chances of water ingestion are rare, but just knowing how much dirt is usually in the water that has the potential to splash onto my intake, would be enough to bother me.
[/quote]

I'm in the same boat. It rains 364 days of the year up here, and I could see myself worrying about it no matter how many people tell me that it'll work fine. I'm waiting for the two "cold air box" solutions from Cobb and BEGi before I decide on any one of these.

· Registered
458 Posts
[quote author=P5_2_MS3 link=topic=70133.msg1415963#msg1415963 date=1179356424]
[quote author=Nikolai link=topic=70133.msg1415897#msg1415897 date=1179354139]
[/quote]

I'm in the same boat. It rains 364 days of the year up here, and I could see myself worrying about it no matter how many people tell me that it'll work fine. I'm waiting for the two "cold air box" solutions from Cobb and BEGi before I decide on any one of these.
[/quote]

I haven't heard anything about those; do you have any info on them?

· Registered
601 Posts
The Bell Engineering intake has been under discussion here for a few months now. I believe forum user 1967abarth had the prototype in this car. You can read about it in this thread after this post:
/index.php?topic=72418.msg1277250#msg1277250

Whatever little info we have on the Cobb intake can be found starting at this post in the "Latest Info from Cobb!" thread:
/index.php?topic=70867.msg1375660#msg1375660

· Registered
458 Posts
Thanks! You know, I had seen that post before, but the FMIC talk overshadowed everything else in my head...

461 - 470 of 470 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.