Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
3,459 Posts
Sweet, I can handle taking the wheel off. Are you going to cuddle up with your intake tonight? She is sprawled out and waiting for you. I may have to order this, so shiny. I don't think the dealer needs to install it to keep your waranty.

· Registered
3,459 Posts
is your splash shield upside down? It looks as though it should be the other way and not on top of the intake. Thanks for the pics and the vids. How long do you think the install would have been without removing the bumper.

· Registered
3,459 Posts
[quote author=C-Bass link=topic=70133.msg1242858#msg1242858 date=1172799233]
[quote author=Julio link=topic=70133.msg1242853#msg1242853 date=1172799159]
he asked me to stop by after I install it so he can take a look at and see what's involved in installing it...
[/quote]

Tell him it'll cost him $242.
[/quote]

now that's funny

· Registered
3,459 Posts
[quote author=MS3 Hot Hatch link=topic=70133.msg1249952#msg1249952 date=1173125363]
One more thing. It's a lot smoother to take off in 2nd in regular driving/traffic with the CAI than it used to be before. I can't believe what a difference this CAI makes. I'll forget about the difference in no time, however.
[/quote]

thats when you know you need another mod. You guys are killing me with all these reviews, I asked my wife for the cai for my birthday and she said do you really need more hp. I replied of course you can never have too much power. Hopefully she comes through.

· Registered
3,459 Posts
this car is very sensitive to the way it is driven, I am sure gas mileage will go up once you stop stomping it. I don't think my mileage could get any worse 17-18mpg. I will have to try the gas mileage thing for my wife, she wanted me to buy a prius, I just laughed and said no way. Maybe I can convince her the intake makes the car get better mileage than a hybrid.

· Registered
3,459 Posts
stretch, no offense but do you even own a mazdaspeed 3 and have you seen a mazdaspeed intake. You seem to like trashing products that are sold on this website with no justification. Of course the car will need to be tuned differently if it has a CAI, that is a given. It is ok to lean the car out a little since it comes pig rich from the factory. How do you know the tube is incorrectly sized and that the MAF is in a bad location. You are seriously talking out of you ass here. No offense but I don't know why you are calling the mazdaspeed intake a mis-engineered piece of crap when you haven't even seen it. I also don't know where you are getting your dyno numbers. It sounds like you had a bad experience with the mazda 6 intake and are feeling like the ms3 intake will be the same. Over 60 people have this intake on this site and not one has a problem and I have yet to here a bad review. I am glad that the intake leans out the mixture, because my tailpipe is covered in soot after two minutes of driving and leaning out the mixture is the best way to make power.

· Registered
3,459 Posts
stretch when I said the ecu would need to be tuned differently I was saying you shouldn't just plug in a piggyback with a basemap. The stock ecu compensates for a cai with no problem but if you are leaning out the mixtures with an ecu tune you need to consider the cai is present. Considering the extremely large number of ms3 owners that have a ms intake I would assume that most companies will make a map available for it. I happen to think cpe makes great products and would not have a problem buying from them, in fact I think their intake looks nicer than the ms intake and in all likelyhood could produce better gains, but it doesn't come with a waranty and could void the waranty on my car. So instead of getting a cpe that I would have to remove every time I went to the dealer I will go with the ms. I just don't understand why you are bashing mazdaspeed especially when you don't have a clue what you are talking about. You seem to base your opinions off of same statement cobb or cpe made, which doesn't make you an expert on intake design. An intake is supposed to produce power and lean out the mixture a little. CPE even said their cai leans out the mixture. Why are you trashing are sponsers products when you have no experience with them and are clearly not going to buy from them. That's not cool. If you had some real knowledge and informative data then your comments may be interesting, but everything you say comes out of your ass.

· Registered
3,459 Posts
[quote author=Snowspd3 link=topic=70133.msg1252849#msg1252849 date=1173228600]
This is getting somewhat interesting. In time, as more mods are available, it will be interesting to see how the MS intake stacks up against the CP_E unit when it becomes part of a larger "tuning" package.

I would have to agree with stretch in that educating folks on the effects of their choices is not a bad thing. Some good points being brought up.
[/quote]

I agree its good to educate people and get to the bottom of issues like this. My problem with stretch is he is saying the ms intake is a poorly engineered piece of crap with nothing to back it up. The cpe leans out the mixture as well and most if not all other intakes will do the same. That being said, it is just a matter of tuning the car correctly if you add aftermarket engine management. A lot of people are throwing a ton of products on their car at once without dyno tuning, which could end up being a big mistake. There is a guy on the ms6 forums that is running an upgraded turbo and fmic along with the xede and his car is not putting out nearly the power that it should be because not even the xede has enough control of the computer to compensate for the extra air that is being thrown into the engine. People are pioneering mods on this car and their work and risk should be greatly appreciated by everyone on this forum. The bottom line is just because a mod improves a car on its own doesn't mean it will make an already modded car better. The car can only take so much air before the maf can't handle it and the injectors are maxed out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.