Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess I am the first on the board!

Here are the pix everyone wants:

The intake is very well made, the two pipes are TIG welded and the welds are of excellent quality and appearance (there is some minor over penetration, no big deal)
There are two silicone couplers: one 90*, one straight
Two MazdaSpeed die cut stickers (would look good on my toolbox ;-) )
Two bottles of cleaner for the filter (this is good for one cleaning at 20,000 miles if you follow the instructions)
One AEM dry-flow filter
One splash shield
Bolts, clamps, and hardware all packed neatly in Styrofoam popcorn with MazdaSpeed on the side of the box :p

The instructions are clear, and should be enough for anyone to follow. (Mazda wrote them for their own techs)
It is not necessary to remove the front bumper as with the CP-e CAI.

Not much else to say about it now... I paid $310 and picked up at Tonkin after work (guess I had to pay shipping too, not really bothered about it though)

I will be installing this Saturday at the latest. (and sometime after that my TurboXS race pipe and Hybrid BOV might actually arrive)

And I will leave you with a pix of intakes being loaded onto the UPS truck (one trip of many)

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think he got the CP-E

[quote author=RonTonkinMazda link=topic=70133.msg1222752#msg1222752 date=1172110174]
awesome! yeah i am doing them at that price for everyone shipped or not i will get you back next time your in :) Yeah ups had 4 full hand trucks of these lol
[/quote]

No biggie, I am happy to get it. Thanks again Josh.

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote author=dread link=topic=70133.msg1222804#msg1222804 date=1172111200]
Does the car need to be put on a jack stand or can I install this with the car on the ground.
[/quote]

No, you have to take the driver's side wheel off.

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[quote author=MS3 Hot Hatch link=topic=70133.msg1222856#msg1222856 date=1172112133]
Cool logo. It must look great installed. Can't wait to get mine, but I'll have to pay a dealer for installation if I want the warranty. That takes some of the fun out but warranty is warranty.
[/quote]

Well the warranty thing is semantics anyway. Legally they cannot throw away your entire warranty just because you don’t have a Mazda intake (or did not have them install it)

Or you can just tell them another dealer installed it and you lost the receipt ;-)

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Josh!

Mazda is not dumb, nor are they out to screw you (I cant say the same for some dealres *cough Allan Web Cough*)
This is a very easy install, and again I think even my fiencee could do it (she is coming along nicely, swapped the header from my wrecked Miata to her Miata with very little help)

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
You auctually cant install it upside down. (you will understand when you see the intake)

[quote author=sgon link=topic=70133.msg1225035#msg1225035 date=1172181518]
I got it installed finally took me about almost 3hrs, I remove the front Bumper to make it easy, intruction say only the front wheel, I think this is what it suppost to look like installed

[/quote]

Damn you beat me to it! I have the day off tomarrow, so I will be doing it then.

sgon: do you live near portland?

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
[quote author=Julio link=topic=70133.msg1225626#msg1225626 date=1172195671]
Once I get mine I'll just sand off the blue color on the mazdaspeed logo and apply some true red color on it, hopefully it'll come out easy.
[/quote]

It is a sticker (a very high quality one) that is my only bitch with the intake.

Matt:
I am doing mine in the morning. PM me and I will give you my cell# if you still need some help.

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Ok I got mine in. The whole thing was pretty easy. It looks sgon and I used the same method of getting in there.

Remove the under trays (I changed my oil too, so this is a good time for that), the wheel, and the fender liner. remove the one bolt holding the bumper to the fender, and you can get a wrench in to remove the stock air deflector.

After that the install is easy; just watch out for the fuel pump ballast, that thing is sharp!

Now my car makes all the noises a good turbo car should. It is very easy to hear the turbo spooling, and the BOV is there too but not too loud.

Pix up later....

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Ask and you shall receve:

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
[quote author=Bakrauf link=topic=70133.msg1231774#msg1231774 date=1172448015]
Did ytou take the entire fender off? WOW!!! that must have made it easy. YOu all are crazy. I am not into takin big parts off becuase i would be afraid that I could never get them on. HTen I would have to drive to the mazda dealer with my front bumper, or fender in the hatch area..lol
[/quote]

I just took off the plastic fender liner. I don’t think it is possible to put it on wrong. it is held on by plastic Phillips head expanding screws, and the holes in the liner are over sized.

It did make everything quite easy.

I should mention that it has been raining since I installed my CAI. I put on 100 or so miles over the weekend, I checked it about 20 minutes after I got home from driving around all day. The filter was not even wet.

Cant comment on the power, I can't find traction (just lots of wheel hop and/or spin). But the CAI makes all kind of cool noises :p

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
Give him a brake guys

Trust me it sounds good, you can hear the turbo spooling and a definite BOV "whoosh."

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
[quote author=flyrevs link=topic=70133.msg1242642#msg1242642 date=1172793898]
I got my MS3 CAI and went out to install it. OK the first step: take off the engine cover. Hum this should be the easiest step right?
Wrong. One of the 10mm bolts was cross-threaded by the dealer last time I had her in to fix the P2006 CEL (they replaced the runner).
I didn't notice it at first and started to put a bit of muscle into it and it would not budge - at all. After I inspected it, it is visually inserted at an angle and there is about 3/16" of free space between the top of the bolt and the engine cover. I was going to try and get it out but then realized it might snap off and then the dealer would blame me.

Now I'm PISSED, :x :x remember my last rant where the dealer put 20 miles on the car? The easiest bolt on the whole car and a certified tech can't get it right. So I'm supposed to trust these clowns to work on the engine? I'm going into the dealer tomorrow and talk to the manager of the entire dealership. I called him and he was out so I left a voice mail and he knows I'm pissed. I'm going to tell him if this is the kind of service they do, then I'm taking my car else where.
I'm also going to explain the 20 miles they put on my car last time.

What would you guys do if this happened to you?

[/quote]

The same thing I do anyway: don’t let anyone else touch your car!

Why is everyone having this problem with the air deflector? It is hella easy to take off! (took around 2 minutes)

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
[quote author=Saitech link=topic=70133.msg1242681#msg1242681 date=1172794923]
[quote author=ElyasWolff link=topic=70133.msg1242678#msg1242678 date=1172794770]
The same thing I do anyway: don’t let anyone else touch your car!

Why is everyone having this problem with the air deflector? It is hella easy to take off! (took around 2 minutes)

[/quote]

Did you take off the bumper, wheel well?
[/quote]

The wheel, plastic fender liner, and undertray (the tray you take off to change the oil)

[quote author=C-Bass link=topic=70133.msg1242858#msg1242858 date=1172799233]
[quote author=Julio link=topic=70133.msg1242853#msg1242853 date=1172799159]
he asked me to stop by after I install it so he can take a look at and see what's involved in installing it...
[/quote]

Tell him it'll cost him $242.
[/quote]

LOL thats rape... but then again the company I work for charges about that much *shrug* ...so ...yeah :-S

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.