Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a huge Mazda fan, especially the Mazda 3, for some time now. We decided to trade in our Black 2005 Mazda3S for a new 2010 Mazda3S GT :) It's pretty much fully loaded with the moonroof / bose package and the technology package.

We also have a 2009 Metropolitan Gray 3S GT as well so this makes for a fun family of cars! :)

Anyhoo, pictures and videos do not do this car justice. If you are discounting this car GO see it in person. It looks amazing on the outside, and the interior is out of this world. This does not feel like an economy car in any way, shape or form. I was pleasant surprised with how well everything fit together, how quiet the ride is and how well it handles. It seems like they kept the spirit of the Mazda3 alive and upscaled it.

The bose sytem is a huge step up from the last model year as well. The music is richer and fuller, probably because of a more powerful system with more speakers and partially because the acoustics of this car seem to just be better. It's amazing how quiet it is compared to the last model.

I also really like a lot of the little touches, including the blue ambient lighting in the wheel wells, a small blue light that illuminates the door window controls, the blue ambient lighting for the console, etc. There's also several small things such as animations on the climate control buttons, etc. I'm really jazzed they used a little less red and a little more blue this time. It gives a much more pleasing overall feel to the car at night.

The 2.5 engine seems awesome so far, I can definitely feel the difference in power vs the 2.3. The best part is I'm getting better gas milage then the 2.3 by a good deal. Driving from my city to Denver (45 miles on the interstate, 65-75mph average speed) I got 37mpg, on a brand new car with 50 miles on it. On our 2.3 we generally only get 30-31. It really seems like they improved the aerodynamics on this car along with the tune most likely.

This car has an auto so I can't comment on the manual shifter, but the sport mode seems to shift faster and crisper then our 2.3.

Anyhoo. here's a few pictures. I plan to get some more later and write a bit more about things in the car that I really like :) I feel comfortable saying this is a pretty huge upgrade over the 2009 model year, and I absolutely LOVE the old 3.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new car!

Can you post a few more night pics? Specifically, the lower areas where the blue shines on the center console, door switches etc.? Is there a blue light shining from the ceiling?

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote author=danielj link=topic=139492.msg3007141#msg3007141 date=1237580251]
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new car!

Can you post a few more night pics? Specifically, the lower areas where the blue shines on the center console, door switches etc.? Is there a blue light shining from the ceiling?

Thanks!
[/quote]Sure, I'll definitely do this when I get a chance. There is a small blue light on the ceiling up between the front dome lights that shines down on the dash / console area. Looks very nice and pleasing. The blue light on the door control areas is very dim but looks really nice :) I'll get some more and maybe a video later.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Terrific! There are some here (including myself) who enjoy ambient lighting. I'm curious to see how Mazda is excuting lighting in the new 3.

That steering wheel is crazy with all the buttons illuminated!

Thanks

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hey, welcome, and congrats! The new car sure looks happy to have found a good home! :)

How does the ride and handling compare to the 08?

·
Registered
60 Posts
your right, the car looks a lot better in person than in the pictures. I saw the same exact car you have yesterday on the street and it looks alot better in person imo. Great choice =)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote author=kwsmithphoto link=topic=139492.msg3007171#msg3007171 date=1237580904]
Hey, welcome, and congrats! The new car sure looks happy to have found a good home! :)

[/quote]Ride is quite a bit better, cabin noise down a lot, and the chasis feels stiffer. Handling feels pretty much identical, but at the same time has a different feel. I can't decide if it's better or worse then the last model in terms of driver feedback but I enjoy driving it none the less.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Holy red steering wheel lights, Batman!

That rear looks so good!

What's the weight difference? Actual weight and feeling comparison?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[quote author=seanzzila link=topic=139492.msg3007514#msg3007514 date=1237590826]
Holy red steering wheel lights, Batman!

That rear looks so good!

What's the weight difference? Actual weight and feeling comparison?
[/quote]Weight for a 3S GT to a 3S gt is pretty close I think. The one I have comes just around 3k lbs according to yahoo. Back to back the car does not feel any heavier to me. The only thing I would change about the car is perhaps make it a 6 speed manual, but it's gonna be real hard to find those in the fully loaded GT for a while, at least in the CO area.

I really agree, I like the rear, but I think it needs a spoiler like the one we have on our 09 instead of the lip spoiler.. think the lip makes it look a bit fat.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I agree on the lip spoilers. I've always loved them (think BMW Ms) but they do make our trunk look like an even taller chalkboard. I'd have to see what the wing would look like on the Gen2 to form an opinion.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
hot damn, that interior is soo sexy lit up at night!
in fact, the car looks really nice next to the previous gen mz3.
still getting used to the new design, but i think the promo pics just didn't do the car justice.
great pics jeffb101. :nice:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am slowly starting to regret not waiting for the 2010.... Im not sure. But.. Congrats love the new color

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
im sorry i do not like the redesign. the head and taillights make me wanna yak. i do love your neighborhood. must be ballin pretty good to get a nice place like that lol.

·
Registered
476 Posts
[quote author=jeffb101 link=topic=139492.msg3007511#msg3007511 date=1237590772]
[quote author=kwsmithphoto link=topic=139492.msg3007171#msg3007171 date=1237580904]

[/quote]Ride is quite a bit better, cabin noise down a lot, and the chasis feels stiffer. Handling feels pretty much identical, but at the same time has a different feel. I can't decide if it's better or worse then the last model in terms of driver feedback but I enjoy driving it none the less.
[/quote]

Thanks for that. About a year ago, the CEO of Mazda said that North Americans prefer a more supple ride compared to their other markets. That was in response to the then-new Mazda6, which is basically a Fusion with Mazda style and chassis improvements. He was correct, but they risk losing the core Mada fans if they take that too far.

Then again, many core Mazda fans don't buy very many new Mazda's. The new 6 is unique to the NA market with mixed reviews so far, and I fear that the 3 is tuned for us plush loving Yanks. That's why I asked how you liked the ride and handling, just trying to gauge the difference between a new body and interior on the same basic platform. Having both, you're in a unique position to know, so keep us informed! There might be some bits from the 2010 that we can retrofit, if they're really that much better.

Enjoy the car, but keep us posted. It looks like you aren't lacking for questions about your new ride!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The 6 was tuned softer (it's still firm and sporty, just not as much) because sales we're dismal with many complaints stemming from it's tight cabin room and harsh ride. The 3 was successful (makes up the majority of Mazda sales) in it's dynamic blend so why soften it?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts