Mazda3 Forums banner

161 - 180 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
I got this done, but was I supposed to put the plastic rings that held the flaps back in?

The car idles like shit now too. It sounds like a big cam big block chevy. And it dies while in idle. I think it is getting to much air and not enough fuel. Anyone have any suggestions, maybe I should put it all back in?

·
Registered
28 Posts
the lil green gaskets need to go back or else you have a huge vac leak. ( maf meters how much air is going through the engine. by allowing more are in than what the maf knows about then your car runs like poo) so the gaskets go back in with the rings holding them in. just remove the flaps and rod. i did the same as you. i wanted the max opening i could get so i tried super glueing the gaskets in and i fired it up and she ran perfect until POP goes the gasket and then idle goes bad and so on. just take it back off and put the gaskets and "rings" back in. so no worries just a big vac leak. when sealed up properly you'll like it.

·
Registered
626 Posts
the gaskets were never taken out. I knew that if I took those out there would be no seal. I'm not sure why the super glue cause the gaskets hold themselves in, or at least on mine. I'm pretty sure the is no leak, just not enough velocity at low rpm, I think I'm just gonna put it all back in, and wait til the marcy intake is done.

·
Registered
28 Posts
look at the gaskets. they have a lil nub that sticks out the top of the mani. with out them there and held in by the "rings" there gonna pop in and you'll get a vacuum leak. taking out the vcts flaps isnt going to do anything but let the normal amount of air flow more freely. all you have to do is take out the flaps and rod. then put everything back together the same way. you dont have to worry. nothing big scary or irreversible. but if you dont want to thats fine. i dont think anyone want to ruin a $20,000+ investment :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got a camera in the mail, when I get that sometime next week I'll try this. Maybe I'll be able to do a write up for it if someone hasn't beat me to it by then. :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
WOW ok since this has gotten to be a 6 pager I think some people are just skimming through this and then taking their engine apart. Your engine is expensive. You are taking pieces of it apart. Do it correctly and there is no problem. Do it wrong and there can be problems. If you dont know much about tool use and engines dont do this. if you want to do this READ THE ENTIRE THREAD!! and read it more than once. STILL there is no walkthrough so you must read carefully. Earlier in the post it explained to unbolt your fuel rail DO NOT disconnect it. Gas is flammable and so are your clothes! Be careful with your cars and do your research before you take you engine apart.

lol i dont wanna sound like a jerk but you cant be doing extensive mods looking like :klavergreg:

lol but yah who wants to read 6 pages!

·
Registered
776 Posts
=P I didn't say disconnect the fuel rail... then wait for the fumes to form... and light a match ;). The fuel rail is just in the way of the top bolts. It's pretty hard to get them out without removing it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
but if your engine was hot and so on...lol that and you dont need to go that far in getting it out of the way. it just needs to be unbolted and moved.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This mod really isn't that hard once you know the location of the bolts. That's what took my friend and I so long the first time we did this. Between finding the bolts, cutting our hands wrenching them out and trying to find enough space to work that rod out, we spent about 4-5 hours the first time getting the VCTS out and putting it back together. But we forgot to put the rings back in. :? So a few days later going at it, it took an hour to take it apart, get the rings in and put it back. Look at the CAD on the earlier page and figure out the location of the bolts.

Make sure you have lots of ratchet extensions of various sizes. Another really helpful tool to have is a flexible magnet. Basically a magnet on the end of a long, flexible stick that lets you get in there and grab the bolts when youre done unscrewing them. Or getting back your sockets when they fall off and the engine tries to eat them. Something like this http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Tools+%26+Equipment&pid=00941602000&vertical=AUTO&subcat=Automotive+Specialty+Tools&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

·
Registered
776 Posts
=D I really need one of those magnets... my car now has 2 bolts, 1 nut, and 1 10mm cresent wrench lost in its depths =(.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Heh. My car ate two 10mm sockets. We went out to Sears and bought two new ones. As we were replacing one bolt that same day, the new socket hit the old socket (which had duct tape on it...stupid...) and yanked it out. We were pissed. Then, a week later, we undid the manifold to replace the rings, and magnet picked up the other lost socket. My friend walked away for a good 15 minutes after that. Quite a classic moment.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Im not implying anything but did you check if they are just sitting on the skip plate? cuz then all you have to do is take that off and you could find them. PLus a magent is only like 7 bucks some places so id pick one up. I had a magnet but it had been lost before i did my intake. you just have to be very careful like a surgeon... hey :klavergreg:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
this is one of those mods where you need time to get it done, not rush it. i did it while the other guy did the writeup, and did mine a bit different as he hadn't finished yet.

but if the car is dying at idle, you do have a leak somewhere, it's not from the lack of flaps for sure.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Taking off that underbody thingy is also a good idea, takes about 5 minutes. But they didn't get stuck there, they got stuck somewhere else deep inside the depths of that engine...

·
Registered
776 Posts
Yeah, I always take the scuff plate off... no bolts. I figured that it would rattle out while driving... no harm =).

161 - 180 of 210 Posts