Mazda3 Forums banner

181 - 200 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Those who did this mod...do you feel it is worth it? Is there any difference or is it negligible? I am interested in doing it, but not if it doesn't make any noticeable improvement.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i can notice a difference but that is a butt dyno :)
i dont know if anyone has a real dyno run. i think there is a dyno somewhere but that might have been for the timing mod
lol that was useless :exnbp:

·
Registered
14,227 Posts
It's been a few days...no problems...I did shit my self a few times while doing the mod

do I plug any lines? I completly read everything over agian and noticed something about it.

·
Registered
14,227 Posts
[quote author=dmention7 link=topic=28889.msg1282472#msg1282472 date=1174519163]
As long as you left everything hooked up, but just removed the shaft and flaps, there should be no need to plug any lines.
[/quote]

thats what I thought...ok...And thats what I did...remove the rod and flaps

·
Registered
42 Posts
sorry to bump this but i figured it beats starting a new thread. me and my buddies did this today, and yeah im getting this really rough idle that some people are talking about. its to the point where the car shakes a bit when i stop. and i've even stalled a couple of times just within an hour or so of doing this so i figured we've done something wrong.

we read through the write up on here and we believe we've done everything as the instructions say, but yeah is there a reason my problem is occuring? and how would we fix this? do we have to undo the mod or is there a way we can successfully do it like some of you guys? any help would be appreciated as i'm a tad worried haha

·
Registered
42 Posts
hmmm is there anything else to look for which couldve caused this problem? cause im pretty sure we attached the white lever fine, we'll double check though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What got me is that you have to put the rings back in that are holding the flaps.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
hey bummrunner, did you by any chance take some pics? trying to figure out how long this mod will take, how long did it take ya?

thanks,
speed

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nah, I didnt get any pictures. I don't own a camera...

Anyways, the first time I did it, I was so lost. But look at the CADs either in this thread or the other one, they're on page 3 or 4 I think. The first time, it took me and my friend five hours, which is pathetically bad. The next time, however, it took us an hour to take it off, put the rings back in and bolt it all back up. Just figure out where the bolts are from the CADs and have a variety of different length extensions for your ratchets. As well as one of those magnets to fish out bolts and sockets when you drop them.

And like dmention7 said, make sure the only things that are actually removed from the manifold are the flaps and the metal rod. The green gaskets and the ring housings for the flaps stay in, otherwise you get vaccuum leaks like have been reported and your car will idle like crap.

EDIT: Here's the link, its under the Mod How-To's http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=71673.0

·
Registered
626 Posts
Yeah, once I got everything out and the right parts back in, this was definately worth the time, I can feel the differance big time. It also seems to have had an effect on the loudness of my exhaust. :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
sorry to bring this back up but i need to know if anyone has done a dyno before and after this set up. I have done this to my speed6 and i think i have noticed a difference. But i have not had a chance to get to the dyno yet. But i don't have the idle problems or stubling or anything in my car. but i do have is a little hesitation when driving when it is cold out. But that goes away after about 5 minutes when the car warms up. Other than that i don't have ANY lag and i also feel like the car pulls to 6100 before falling. Which i think that is being caused by the throttle in our cars.

So any dyno results with this mod?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, I can scratch this mod off my list, I also did some tb boring while I had it off. Both of which took me 8 hrs, though I think I'd be able to do it quicker next time. Everything went off without a hitch other than a grey connector ontop of the intake directly to the right of the mani. I figure it's a vacum connection so I just put a rubber connector over it and the broken piece connected to the tube and clamped it down. Eh, it worked. Does anyone know what that thing is? Where I could get one? I think that if you have the time to spare, both this and the tb boring is worth your time. But I think that's it for the cheap easy mods.

181 - 200 of 210 Posts