Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://forum.mazda6tech.com/about1716-0-asc-0.html

A few notes, the center bolt is a pain to get at. :?
I also bypassed the VCS with a vacuum plug and deadened the knock sensor while I was able to access it. I also saw no need to plug the shaft holes. just shove the lever back in after removing the shaft and flaps.

Results?  My ATX 3 5 door now will spin the tires a bit from a launch.  response is much more linear without the apparant bump at 4500 rpm.  Very big increase in low rang part throttle torque, and much more pull to 7000.  Very worthwhile free mod.
keep in mind, I have no other intake or mods, or exhaust, just balance shafts pulled out and a lot of tranny meddeling.

·
Registered
422 Posts
all those posts on the 6 forum and such are way to unorganized do you think you could simplify it and make a write up? or at least copy the good info in here?

thanks,
Wes

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Nice.  I will look into this before my next dyno when my damn exhaust finally arrives.  BTW, how did you mod your ECU?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
the vtcs removal wasn't that hard really, if you have any mechanical inclination at all. hardest parts is removal and reinstallation for the manifold. i think i got my removal down to just under 4 minutes now...just takes practice.

so, any CEL's yet? i ended up just unplugging both solenoids and pulling em off and dealing with the CEL since i scan it every other day anyhow. also, how about those cold starts? it's even more exaggerated on the turbo setup without the vtcs in!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No cel's yet.  I have a Snap-On Modis, and I've been watching fuel trim and airflow.

Bean, consider the ecu "spoofed" instead of modded as I've been digging through my bag of tricks to get it to do what I want.  Spoofing meaning altering inputs/outputs to achieve a desired result.  If I get it to do something truely worth mentioning, I'll post it.

I didn't removed the solenoids or actuators, so the ecu still "sees" them.  The VTCS actuator has some kind of feedback or a travel sensor, hence the electrical plug, so I left it alone.

Mr Tea, was your 6 an ATX?  How's it doing with the turbo?

http://www.focaljet.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB67&Number=2416649499&page=30&fpart=1

Don't bother with the hole plugging part, just shove the lever back in.
The intake was removed using a 3/8 ratchet, 8mm for the dipstick tube, 10mm socket, 10mm deep socket, three 3" extensions, one 6" extension, and a swivel. A pencil magnet was handy as well retrieving and installing some bolts. The injector rail must be removed. Don't disconnect it, just unbolt it, gently rock it while pulling up and lay it aside. Be sure to recover and keep track of the two plastic spacers under the injector rail where the bolts go.
Make sure you have removed ALL the manifold bolts. The intake will be loose and move easily. NO PRYING! if you can't move the intake, you missed a bolt.
To make this mod invisible, use needle nose pliars and use GREAT CARE in gently removing the harness tabs from the intake. You don't want to break these, as a dealer tech will immediately spot them and know something's afoot.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
yup, that's me and things are going well. i can pull 11psi on race gas pretty safely now, though i don't really ever do it unless someone wants a ride. the 3 & 6 vary slightly when it comes to the fuel rail, as there's no need on the 6 for touching it. as long as you leave the vtcs actuator connected you should be cool without CEL's. but both myself and the guy who did the initial removal, both have quite a bit of hunting during cold starts.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got two days on the mod, and this morning, it jumped once, then settled into a stable idle.  The 3 is a little closer to the radiator than the 6, necessitating the injector rail removal to get the manifold out.  Am I the 1st to un VCTS a 3? As a foot note, i couldn't figure out how to remove the gray plastic vacuum tube in the top of the intake, behind the T/B, but I had enough freeplay after unclipping it from it's bracket to maneuver the manifold.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
^^^ I Believe AzMz3 did the mod as well - and I think he did this many months ago. you should send him a PM to ask him for a long term analysis.

·
Registered
158 Posts
[quote author=Monzsta link=topic=28889.msg399478#msg399478 date=1126215111]
Got two days on the mod, and this morning, it jumped once, then settled into a stable idle. The 3 is a little closer to the radiator than the 6, necessitating the injector rail removal to get the manifold out. Am I the 1st to un VCTS a 3? As a foot note, i couldn't figure out how to remove the gray plastic vacuum tube in the top of the intake, behind the T/B, but I had enough freeplay after unclipping it from it's bracket to maneuver the manifold.

[/quote]

Have you been experiencing the jumpy starts on a cold engine like others who have done this mod (m6 and focus owners)?
Also is the link you created above, is this the site you referenced from to follow your steps to do this mod?

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
[quote author=holeydonut link=topic=28889.msg399511#msg399511 date=1126216345]
^^^ I Believe AzMz3 did the mod as well - and I think he did this many months ago. you should send him a PM to ask him for a long term analysis.
[/quote]

Nope..I'm not touching this one. Not till something comes out to tune the ECU.
I would rather use the Cosworth intake manifold.

But I respect the ones doing this. I'd like to see a before and after dyno. \
I think out of all of the free mods to do this, althought yet to be proven, will show some decent gains.

So the way you did it Monzsta is it reversible, if so I might try it after I get the turbo all set-up.

Herb

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
^^^ Ah, my bad - I thought you did the balance shaft delete and the VCTS thing....

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Completely reversable.  I take great pains to be sure I can return the car to stock for whatever reason arises. (warranty, selling, failed/ineffective mod, ect. ect.)  I should be taking better notes/pics, and I have a G-tech (currently loaned out) which I haven't been using, but should.

The ECM in the 3 seems more adaptible or maybe more tolerant to meddeling.  The idle gets better after every cold start.

BTW, I don't think the VCTS would be as noticable with 7-10 psi on hand. :p  I'd probably have left the balance shafts in as well and concentrated on turbo management for extra power, If turbocharging were in my future, which I don't forsee.

Too many irons in the fire now!

Anyone know of a dyno in Charlotte, NC area? Everything I look up goes to a bike shop.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Monzsta-
Could you please briefly list the parts you removed from the intake manifold? I have been thinking about trying this mod for a while and I just want to make sure I do it correctly and also that I am able to return to stock if necessary.
Also, do you post on the Mazda6tech forum under a different name? Just wondering if those recent posts on this topic were made by you.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't post in the 6 forums, but there's a lot of info to be had for us upstarts in the Duratech world.

Quite simply, after I got the manifold out, I removed the actuator and gently pried out the white lever. then I grabbed the square rod nub in the hole with pliars and pulled it out. It's stubborn, so go slow. You then remove the inserts in the manifold outlets, and remove the flapper from each one. Then pop each insert back in the manifold, make sure the rubber gaskets are ok, reinstall the white lever without the rod you removed and the actuator and reinstall the manifold.

For a little more kick, also block the vts solenoid (the left one) vacuum line (cut it and insert a golf tee, or just remove the line and put a vacuum cap on the solenoid) to it's actuator to lock the manifold tune valve into hi rpm position.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lotsa time and patience.  Also, there's a bolt at the bottom of the intake that's real easy to get at from the bottom, as well as the harness clips. I have my own lift, but you can do it by jacking the car up and removing the belly pan.

One of the 6 guys did a real thorough write-up of it, you might want to go over it and my notes above.

As I said above, the injector rail must be unbolted and moved aside to get the intake out, but otherwise it's real straightforward.

Just give yourself enough time to go slow and make sure you do it right. (at least half a day)

I'll be on and off all day, so if you get in a jam, get in here and shout.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
OK i know the 2.3 has VVT, and the 2.0 is getting it for the 2006 model. However, I just wanna know if this VTCS removal would apply to the 2.0L? I'm curious about this one.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
very interesting mod. im going to have to wait for long term impressions, but so far its on my tentative list of mods.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Monzsta,

Is it possible you can give us a break down on steps of what you did or a link to where you got your instructions from? I have been looking at some reply links people put on forums from mazda6 tech to focaljet but there is not detailed istructions on what to do other then what you see they did in a few pics. Like example should us mazda3 ownser refer to the mazda6 guys way of doing it or the focal focus dudes.. or a bit of both?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 210 Posts