Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I previously did a 2.5 swap on my own '04 3 last year. See thread:
https://www.mazda3forums.com/799-introductions/757746-2004-mazda-3-2-3-2-5-swap-progress.html

I used a 2015 Fusion 2.5, the Fusion intake, Mazda 6 '09 T/body, Fusion coils, Fusion injectors, Fusion valve cover and no adapters.

Today I just finished a 2.5 swap on my bosses son's Mazda 6i 2.3/auto that I did at work. It spun a rod bearing and was smoking badly. I talked them into doing the 2.5 swap. We used a 34K 2014 Fusion 2.5 that came complete with harness and intake for $450.

I learned some new things doing this based on the fact that it was a '06 and up vehicle. I have seen a lot of things posted about the swap including my previous experience. I wanted to share this information because I don't know if there is a clear understanding about the differences between the early gen 1 3's verses the newer gen 1 3's and the differences between the '12 and prior Ford 2.5's verses the '13 and newer ones.

First, most swaps on this forum are with 2012 and older Ford motors. The process is the same on any gen 1 MZ3 other than the timing cog difference on the '05 and older 3's or 6's. Parts are swapped from the old motor as needed to make it work.

Second, '05 and older 3's and 6's have 2 wire ignition coils, '06 and up have 3 wire coils. The Ford's have 2 wire coils. Both style Mazda coils are physically the same other than the terminals. The Ford coils are different. Subsequently, the valve covers on the Ford's have different mounting hole locations. The Mazda coils do not line up with the bolt holes and are actually a little higher than the holes also. On the '12 and back Ford motors you just use the Mazda valve cover as is, or if it is a '05 and back 3 or 6, you can use the Ford valve cover and Ford coils because they are 2 wire. That is what I did on my '04 3 swap(mandatory on '13 and up Ford- see below). You do have to swap the old cam sensor into the Ford valve cover though because the older 3 and 6 are a 2 wire and the Ford is a 3.

On the '13 and newer Ford motors there is a challenge on the '06 and up 3's and 6's. This is because the VVT solenoid and the camshaft bearing cap it sits in are re-designed. They are not interchangeable with the 3's or 6's or '12 and older Ford engines. The diameter of the older VVT's is 34mm the newer are 30mm. Therefore, the grommet in the valve covers are different so it can seal. (As a side note, the new VVT solenoid uses a different connector. Must be spliced from Ford harness or can be bought on RockAuto.) This is where the issue arises on the '06 and later Mazdas. You can't use the Mazda valve cover AS IS because the larger grommet doesn't seal the VVT solenoid and you can't use the Ford valve cover because the Mazda coils will not bolt up. Even if they did, the oil fill hole on the cover at the number 1 cylinder plug is directly in front of the coil connector. I have read where this issue is mentioned on other threads although not as detailed. There it was stated that the Mazda cover was used and the void around the grommet is filled with sealer to make the seal. That is how I read it anyway.

I placed the Mazda valve cover on the 2.5 to check out the grommet fit. The gap was large and I didn't think filling it with sealer was the best option. The best option is to swap the grommet out with the later Ford grommet. I popped the grommets out both valve covers. What I found was the Mazda cover had a step in the bore where the grommet goes that the Ford cover doesn't have. Subsequently, the Ford grommet would not go into the Mazda cover. Using my cordless drill with a carbide cutter bit, I SLOWLY removed the step to make it a straight bore. I then installed the Ford grommet with some RTV on the outside edge where it rides against the cover just to help it seal if there were any imperfections from removing the step.

I just wanted to share these differences so that those doing it in the future will have an understanding of the them. I hope this helps.

Lastly, I bought a intake adapter for my first swap but ended up doing the Fusion intake instead. I used the adapter on this swap as I wanted to do as little of modifying as possible. I must say, this 6 with the 2.5 and 2.3 intake runs way better than my 3 did with all 2.5 stuff. It revs freer and accelerates faster than mine. It is so impressive, I've decided I'm going to go this route in the future if I do another. No kidding. That is unless I go with a turbo, then I will stick with the 2.5 fusion intake. Bigger ports and no IMRC components.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mazda3 Forums

I used a 2015 Fusion 2.5, the Fusion intake, Mazda 6 '09 T/body, Fusion coils, Fusion injectors, Fusion valve cover and no adapters.

Today I just finished a 2.5 swap on my bosses son's Mazda 6i 2.3/auto that I did at work. It spun a rod bearing and was smoking badly. I talked them into doing the 2.5 swap. We used a 34K 2014 Fusion 2.5 that came complete with harness and intake for $450.

I learned some new things doing this based on the fact that it was a '06 and up vehicle. I have seen a lot of things posted about the swap including my previous experience. I wanted to share this information because I don't know if there is a clear understanding about the differences between the early gen 1 3's verses the newer gen 1 3's and the differences between the '12 and prior Ford 2.5's verses the '13 and newer ones.

First, most swaps on this forum are with 2012 and older Ford motors. The process is the same on any gen 1 MZ3 other than the timing cog difference on the '05 and older 3's or 6's. Parts are swapped from the old motor as needed to make it work.

Second, '05 and older 3's and 6's have 2 wire ignition coils, '06 and up have 3 wire coils. The Ford's have 2 wire coils. Both style Mazda coils are physically the same other than the terminals. The Ford coils are different. Subsequently, the valve covers on the Ford's have different mounting hole locations. The Mazda coils do not line up with the bolt holes and are actually a little higher than the holes also. On the '12 and back Ford motors you just use the Mazda valve cover as is, or if it is a '05 and back 3 or 6, you can use the Ford valve cover and Ford coils because they are 2 wire. That is what I did on my '04 3 swap(mandatory on '13 and up Ford- see below). You do have to swap the old cam sensor into the Ford valve cover though because the older 3 and 6 are a 2 wire and the Ford is a 3.

On the '13 and newer Ford motors there is a challenge on the '06 and up 3's and 6's. This is because the VVT solenoid and the camshaft bearing cap it sits in are re-designed. They are not interchangeable with the 3's or 6's or '12 and older Ford engines. The diameter of the older VVT's is 34mm the newer are 30mm. Therefore, the grommet in the valve covers are different so it can seal. (As a side note, the new VVT solenoid uses a different connector. Must be spliced from Ford harness or can be bought on RockAuto.) This is where the issue arises on the '06 and later Mazdas. You can't use the Mazda valve cover AS IS because the larger grommet doesn't seal the VVT solenoid and you can't use the Ford valve cover because the Mazda coils will not bolt up. Even if they did, the oil fill hole on the cover at the number 1 cylinder plug is directly in front of the coil connector. I have read where this issue is mentioned on other threads although not as detailed. There it was stated that the Mazda cover was used and the void around the grommet is filled with sealer to make the seal. That is how I read it anyway.

I placed the Mazda valve cover on the 2.5 to check out the grommet fit. The gap was large and I didn't think filling it with sealer was the best option. The best option is to swap the grommet out with the later Ford grommet. I popped the grommets out both valve covers. What I found was the Mazda cover had a step in the bore where the grommet goes that the Ford cover doesn't have. Subsequently, the Ford grommet would not go into the Mazda cover. Using my cordless drill with a carbide cutter bit, I SLOWLY removed the step to make it a straight bore. I then installed the Ford grommet with some RTV on the outside edge where it rides against the cover just to help it seal if there were any imperfections from removing the step.

I just wanted to share these differences so that those doing it in the future will have an understanding of the them. I hope this helps.

Lastly, I bought a intake adapter for my first swap but ended up doing the Fusion intake instead. I used the adapter on this swap as I wanted to do as little of modifying as possible. I must say, this 6 with the 2.5 and 2.3 intake runs way better than my 3 did with all 2.5 stuff. It revs freer and accelerates faster than mine. It is so impressive, I've decided I'm going to go this route in the future if I do another. No kidding. That is unless I go with a turbo, then I will stick with the 2.5 fusion intake. Bigger ports and no IMRC components.
?
Is the 6 still running good? I am doing the same swap on my 05' 3 and thinking about which IM and TB to use on the 2017 2.5, sounds like the 2.3 stuff works better with the fusion long block.

·
Registered
1 Posts
https://www.mazda3forums.com/799-introductions/757746-2004-mazda-3-2-3-2-5-swap-progress.html

Hey just completed a 2.3 to 2011 2.5 as you did I change the cam sensor cog on the intake cam
The engine runs really good but I am struggling with a p0016 code
I have rechecked the timing with the pin against the crank ,flat bar in cams adjusted the crank sensor
Any thoughts ?. Wondering if the cog is out of index

1 - 3 of 3 Posts