Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I guess this is a post in response to slipangle's consideration about how the Mazda3 does in the auto-x.

Anyhow, I attended an auto-x hosted by the UBCSCC (Vancouver, Canada) today, despite the car is still literally brand new and just barely broken in. The car is bone stock, with the OEM Eagle RS-A tires at 40psi all around. And the weather was "okay" because the ground was damp in the morning and then it dried up by the afternoon (Temperature was probably less than 10 degrees celsius).

So we had 6 runs in total, 3 in the morning and 3 in the afternoon. I was quite amazed by the minimal amount of understeering experienced at the auto-x. However, one thing i noticed is that during slaloms it required lots more steering effort as the car was quite sluggish to do some quick transitions. But then this can be cured with more pre-turn and just keep the speed constant thru the slalom. Oh... and with some aggressive transitions the tail of the 3 actually broke loose quite easily and can be recovered quickly as well. Some spectators mentioned that there was quite a bit of body roll but I personally didn't find it to be a significant setback. And the brakes worked perfectly so I can't complain. :D

Let's see... I have driven some heavier cars at the auto-x before and the street tires sometimes lost grip as too much heat built up. But I didn't experience that with the Mazda3 today. Maybe it was due to the cool February temperature in Vancouver. But nonetheless the Eagle RS-A tires provided sufficient grip for the entire day.

So in terms of G-stock the car did pretty well. Though a properly set-up Toyota Celica (w/o R-comps) with an experienced (professional!)autocrosser managed to get ahead of me by 1.3 seconds!!! I think I definitely need to learn more FWD techniques but I suspect the much higher weight of my car was also a major disadvantage.

Okay, here are the results. The first link shows the indexed times of all drivers in the event. And the second link shows the individual results of competitors in each class.

http://www.ubcscc.com/events/2004/SS6/I.TXT

http://www.ubcscc.com/events/2004/SS6/R.TXT

My name is NICK by the way.

Anyhow, I hope there will be more Mazda3's out there at the auto-x!

Cheers!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are a couple pics. Credit goes to placebo11 for taking these awesome pictures for me.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Hi Nick :)
Oh, so YOU'RE the dude driving the white Sport in that vid I saw...

First off, I have to say 2 things:
a) You're a pretty good driver :) If I ever go AutoX, care to teach me a few things? :)
b) The MZ3 KICKS BUTT!!! I heard one mild tire screech, and you were going CRAZY FAST! (see (a)).

hehehehe... well, you've inspired me to pick up a Mazda 3 and go autoXing. Hopefully tuition will not go up THAT much more. It's hard enough as it is.

As for body roll, I've seen worse. I don't think your car dived that much. Impreza's tend to have a TON of body roll, but that's due to the way they were built.

·
Banned
868 Posts
GOOD JOB!!!

Placebo sent me the vid too....and I in turn sent it to dugrant. VERY nice run that you had.

BTW, how many percent tint that you have?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wow, that a good result for your first time with the car. You must be a good driver! I take it the 3 is good for autocrossing then. Hmmm, ok, now to find those fund$$$$$. BTW, your bodyroll didn't look too bad, you should see me in an 88 MX6. Freaking looks like my car is gonna flip.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys!

Wow, I didn't know there was a vid for my car. I guess I really owe placebo a meal for taking the pics and video! I wonder which run was the video taken, I hope it's not the one where I plowed into the chicago box. How big is the file? If anyone could send me a copy that would be greatly appreciated! I only have a normal hotmail account... so perhaps maybe someone could do a file transfer thru MSN Messenger? ([email protected]) :D

I just got my windows tinted yesterday, and they are 50/15 for F/R. I am just hoping that the driver's window film isn't messed up since I had to open that window today. :(

Good luck to everyone taking a Mazda3 to the auto-x, it is a damn fun car to drive!

I hope I can eventually catch up with the Celica... but that's a long way to go.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Lets all go after that Celica!

LOL

Mazda 3 team (of 10 members) vs. the talented Celica driver

Great to hear that the MZ3 kicked butt, though :)

·
Banned
868 Posts
It's a large file, and I don't have the bandwidth to host it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hehe I just received a copy of the video! Thanks to dugrant and Levitron!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmm... it's just a 30sec clip showing a portion of the course. But somehow the file is HUGE at 17.6MB... do you know if there are any ways to compress it?

·
Banned
868 Posts
Even though if it's a 5mb file, it would be a HUGE drain.

I had two files up before, each around 2mb's each....and during ONE WEEK, I had over 1gig worth of traffic. Those were just minor vids of the stereo turning on and off.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have unlimited file transfer on my site. I can host it if you send it to me. The only thing I ask is that viewers save it to their machines as opposed to streaming it. I'll keep it up for 2 weeks or so. I think it'll be too big for email, but you can try [email protected] or you can PM me and I'll give you my AIM name, and you can do a direct transfer.

17Megs is nothing; my old college project of my 94 Probe GT from several years back is 21Megs. It's set to the intro from Need For Speed 2 (I think). If anyone cares to check it out, please save this to your computer :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
CFF's run is here. Please right click and "Save As"; streaming is hard on my server.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
thanks for the webspace kirk.

I'm checking out those vids right now.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts