Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on the fence for a long time about ditching my 17" OEM wheels altogether, bumping my existing 17" 5Zigen FN01R-C wheels to be my Winter wheels, and buying a light 18" wheel to be my new Summer wheels. Today I bit the bullet and did it, choosing the 18x7.5" Enkei RPF1 wheels, with Pirelli PZero Nero M+S (yes, M+S--I live in Michigan, and I'm tired of being stuck because I guessed wrong about when we might get snow). I really like these wheels, they are high quality, and only weigh 17 lbs. in this size, only 0.5 to 1 lb. heavier than my 17x7" 5Zigens. I can't wait to get them and get a couple coats of paint protectant on them.

I wanted this partially for looks, for weight (I hate putting those 22 lb. stock wheels on for Winter, and my mileage drops when I do), and also because I want to run P225 tires all year round for when I get a HiBoost turbo or supercharger next year around this time. These wheels and tires should be good for open track day, which I plan to do this year. I love road racing.

Here's a picture:

:klavergreg:

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Re: Just bought my Enkei RPF1 wheels in 18x7.5" with Pirelli PZero Nero M+S

Wicked choice. I've always wanted to get a set of those (1, because they are relatively affordable 2, they are really light 3, they look good with brakes)

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
excellent choice

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
dude, wtf, that was TOTALLY unneccesary. . .

·
Registered
49 Posts
[quote author=Chibana link=topic=69618.msg1221719#msg1221719 date=1172089775]
Two pics of the wheels with tires:

I'll also post pics of the car once they're on.

10 points to anyone who knows what that black track behind the wheel is!
[/quote]

it's where you test your new wheels right? right???

hot wheels ftw.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
ooo i used to have one of those. its the motorized hot wheels thing where you charge up the cars and race them... push the button/lever thing to "pit" the cars and flip down that charger thing, then let er rip! im pretty sure it was hot wheels but its been a few years...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nice wheels, can't wait to see them on the car.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, all! Yes, that's what that track is! They are called Sizzlers, and I didn't know Hot Wheels was making them again, until I happened to see it at Target before Christmas, so I bought it for my 4 year old son (and have fun playing it, too!).

One word of warning about these wheels: do not choose these if you have, or are planning to buy, a big brake kit. There is only a hair over 1" of clearance at 7" out from the center of the wheel. If I measured more carefully, it *might* be possible to use these with the Wilwood kit with the smallest caliper (which requires 1.14" of clearance), but the other two caliper options are absolutely out, and the Brembo kit, which requires even more clearance than the largest Wilwood calipers, is definitely not going to happen. Fortuntely, a BBK wasn't the reason I bought these, but I was hoping to at least have that as an option.

And I can't wait to see them on the car, either!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts