Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my new silver 3 Sport GT (Canadian). I didn't want the moonroof or leather and I managed to be at the dealership the same time they took delivery of 4 3's. 3 were sold, and it was just pure luck that the last one was exactly what I wanted.

I'm loving it so far, put about 100 km on it today! It's my first non-Honda product and its been a great decision so far.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some pics.

I just put the roof rack on today. After talking to Mazda Canada and realizing that we wouldn't see a factory option until at least June, I went and got the aftermarket solution that look the best on the car.

Due to the curvature of the roof (both right to left, and front to back), it does result in very little clearance between the rack and the roof in key spots. For example, I cannot load snowboards with the bindings facing downwards. I plan to contact SportRack to see if they have an adapter or anything to raise the level of the snowboard attachment. But since its usually just my fiance and myself, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
No offense, but I think it looks kinda silly with a roof rack - but then again, that's one of the things I don't like about the WRX either. :oops:

I think that the P5 looked slick with a rack though.....

I don't know, maybe I'll warm up to it. :cool:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not totally happy with how the car looks with a rack either, but its one of those things where function has to win out over form. There is already a child car seat in the back, so I can't really rely on folding down the other seat to accomodate the snowboards.

I did however, look around for the rack that ruined the lines of the car the least. I'm not a total extreme outdoors type, so I really didn't need a rack that has really long bars that hang over the edge of the car and would make it look butt ugley. The SportRack system looked the best and had the functionality I needed. With the snowboard attachment off, you hardly even noticed the bars. The fiance didn't even notice until I told her AFTER getting into the car.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I just said it was silly, not butt ugly.. ;)

No, I agree - function before looks. That's actually why I have a hatch, otherwise I'd of over-extended myself and ended up with an RX-8. But as a mobile DJ, I need the cargo space first..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just some more pics

Here are some more pics of the car with the rack in use! Went up to Cypress on Saturday and the rack came in really handy. The car handled quite well in the snow as well.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
That rack looks pretty slick there. Just looked silly in the other pics.

·
Registered
9 Posts
is sport rack from Canadian tire? that kinda looks like a buckle rack hope it's secure..

those yakima/thule ones can run for hundreds of dollars!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No, actually it's from SportChek. I didn't like the looks of the one they carry at Canadian Tire. It actually fits on with clamps that clip onto the doors and then a metal strap is ratcheted until the rack is tight.

I think the regular price of the rack with the snowboard attachment is about $375.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts