Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used JL Audio in their cars? I have been looking at Infinity Kappa speakers componants and coaxs with a Infinity Perfect sub but the JL's caught my eye after reading a review of the sub in an audio mag. I know it all comes down to the listener but was just wondering if anyone has had any experiences with them? Componants, Coax's, Subs, Amps.....I am looking for good clarity and depth, a good sound quality moreso than a really loud system.

Thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ok, here we go. I have 2 12" JL subs in my trunk and they play very nicely. However, I installed 2 12" Kappa Perfects in a Golf that my buddy has and those sound much better. Not only are they capable of playing very loud, they also reproduce the sound extremely well. I am looking into selling my JL's and buying Perfects. As far as amps go, you will need something high power for Perfects, I would say at least 1000 watts. My buddy has a kicker 1200 which is awesome for the subs. Now on to the doors. Here I would also recommend Infinity. You can get kappa 5X7 speakers for around 90 dollars at etronics.com right now. The component set might be a little bit better but I personally think the tweeters in the 3 do a fine job once you take out all the bass and send it to the subs. I also can speak highly of the higher-end model Kenwood speakers. They are probably not as good as the Infinitys but they are somewhat cheaper. Overall, you might be able to tell that I am a huge fan of Infinity. I am using a 1000 watt class d amp from way back in the day when Infinity still made amps. It runs with tons of power and no heat. Whew, hopefully this helps :)

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I would definately choose JL over Infinity. Personally, I dont think the Perfects will touch a W3, let along a W6/W7. Infinity is decent equipment, but JL is in the higher end category.

Since we are an authorized JL dealer, we carry the full line. Therefore Ive installed the full line. Im definately impressed with the amps and the subs. Ive only heard one pair of the components (VR series I believe) and they sounded good... but not for the money. 2 12W3s in a ported box running off a JL 500/1 monoblock will kill most low~mid setups.

Unfortunately, JL is way over priced.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. I am going to go to a local dealer who deals with JL and see what they have and what kind of price I can get. Then I am going to do a little research to see what I can get them for.

·
Registered
947 Posts
It's not about louder, well some time it is, but not when in the context of Infinity Perfects.

JLs sound better, more acurate, and plays deeper. The Infinity Perfects are very good for something you can get in electronic chain stores, but they pale in comparison to JL.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I went to an Audio shop yesterday after work and he told me if I wanted Components in the front, coax's in the back, powered by a 300w 4 channel JL amp, and a W6v2 in a JL box powered by a 500w monoblock JL amp I would probably be looking at around $2000 installed.......ouch. It seemed fishy though because he kept telling me to figure out a price I want to spend and he could tell me what he could do for me. I wasnt very comfortable with that. I wanted prices to determine if I could do what I wanted to do.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Unless those components are 500 dollars, it seems like a bit more money than it should cost. Figure the sub and mono amp for 800 (that's higher than it should be, but just guessing) and the components for 200 (more than almost any components you want to be putting in without Dynamatting the whole car, etc) and 150 for coaxes, and 350 for the 4 channel amp and that's a good 1500 dollars. Installation should not cost 500 dollars for those items, at least it wouldn't around here. And yeah, that guy seems a lot like a car dealer--"tell me what you want to spend a month"...

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I stopped reading this after the 3rd line.. :)

I'm not sure what size sub you are looking at getting, but I think the only way for the JL to be worth the money is to push 12" or more. I had purchased the 10" wedge a few years back for my CRX, and returned it after a few days. My 6.5" Kicker hit harder and deeper, and actually clipped less. Eventually I upgraded to a 15" Eclipse - WAY to big for a CRX (louder than sh!t thought). Eventually I toned it down to an 8" Eclipse that was housed in a Kicker Comp (I think Comp) box - the one that looks like a giant shoebox.

That was the best sound system I ever had....

My friend has a 12" Phoenix Gold in his trunk with MB Quart in the doors. He drive a 2002 Mercedez and it hits HARD. It was a little to bright for me though.

That's what I like about the Infinity crossovers - they have a -3 db drop available for the tweeters - so if it's too bright, you can tweak it a bit. The downside - it's a larger tweeter hole than exists in the car now, and the mount ring looks like it might be a bit deep.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i own an old school JL 12w0 sub. Absolutely love it. It pounded pretty hard from my RF amp.

I was contemplating Infinity Perfect subs, but for the price - I might as well pick up some more JL subs.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
In honesty, I'll probably go with Eclipse again on the sub, because I want to keep it small. I'm looking at an 8", and I just think they sound better than the JL's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Solobaric

Bro all you need is one 10" and if you wanna get nasty get a 12"Solobaric W5 or W7... by this time your slapping JL and Infinity with 1 speaker. It's all about the clean watts you send to it. And if you wanna get real dirty just shot out get a 15"...

·
Registered
157 Posts
DJ Spencer said:
That's what I like about the Infinity crossovers - they have a -3 db drop available for the tweeters - so if it's too bright, you can tweak it a bit. The downside - it's a larger tweeter hole than exists in the car now, and the mount ring looks like it might be a bit deep.
so the Inifinity tweeters may not fit? i'm looking to get a set of those Reference 5x7 components, but i certainly don't want to have them shipped and my car door disassembled when i find out the tweeters won't fit.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
well, they are a bit large in diameter - depth is okay. But you can see the factory just by looking at the door and THROUGH the grill on the tweeter -- it's pretty small in there.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
freston said:
DJ Spencer said:
so the Inifinity tweeters may not fit? i'm looking to get a set of those Reference 5x7 components, but i certainly don't want to have them shipped and my car door disassembled when i find out the tweeters won't fit.
Time to experiment. Noone really knows if aftermarket tweeters fit. I knew for sure the CDTs fit because they also fit in VWs and my brother in law's Toy 4Runner. My guess is it will fit with very little work. The brackets on the back of the that triangular piece definately can be trimmed and there is plenty of depth to install even the biggest tweeter.

If it dont fit behind the factory plastic grill, use a hole saw and flush them into that panel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts