Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please give me some opinions on Jeep Liberty's. Am possibly considering one of these instead of the Honda Fit. I don't think there's a comparison between the two....2 entirely different cars. I like the rugged look to the Liberty, and the size of it. Thanks....

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Liberty was a step back performance wise from the Cherokee it replaced. Its slow, heavy and thirsty. If you want a SUV for offroad performance and low range 4-wheel drive there are better out there, namely the X-Terra and the 4-runner or FJ Cruiser. I'm not anti-jeep, I had a 93 cherokee for 4 years and it only broke once. Loved it. The Liberty alienated many jeep loyalists.

Thus Jeep is bringing out the similarly styled Patriot this spring. Its a platform mate with the Compass (and thus Caliber). Its smaller than the Cherokee and Liberty, but has a much better look in my opinion. It wont be a trail basher but I'd go for one of those over a porker Liberty in a second.

DC swears still that you will be able to get a 5-speed and all wheel drive on the Patriot, something I am all for. The others in the platform dont have that. The automatic is a CVT and if its anything like the CVT in the Caliber I drove it sucks. No where near as smooth as the Nissan units.

Early Liberties had lots of problems with HVAC systems. I'm sure they have worked some of that out.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
^^ Agreed

Mother in law has one.

18mpg if she is lucky.

Dies on her repeatedly while on the highway. It has been into the dealership time after time for it, but "they can't figure out why it is dying".

FJ Cruiser isn't much better on fuel.

If you're looking at a good AWD/4WD with decent fuel economy check out any Subaru, Saturn Vue, Honda CRV, or Toyota RAV-4.

It is NOT on my list of cars for my wife. If you want an extended list let me know.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it sounds like the Jeep Liberty isn't such a good choice. Friend of mine has a Rav4, and it's nice, but not rugged enough looking for me. I don't want to get any bigger then that with an SUV, so my choices are more limited. Don't really know anything at all about the X-Terra.
Are you talking about the Forrester Suburu??

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
dont give up the reliability and fuel economy of a Honda for a Jeep. The 2 cars arent even comparible. That Dodge will just break down on a regular basis and be nothing but problems.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know all about Dodge's.....YUK....had a Intrepid that was nothing but trouble from day 1. Came to hate the thing. So I'll never be in a Dodge again!!!!

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
[quote author=greyzoomer link=topic=66501.msg1142438#msg1142438 date=1168443231]
I know all about Dodge's.....YUK....had a Intrepid that was nothing but trouble from day 1. Came to hate the thing. So I'll never be in a Dodge again!!!!
[/quote]

dont buy a Jeep either then, (same thing)

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
[quote author=greyzoomer link=topic=66501.msg1142402#msg1142402 date=1168441781]
Well, it sounds like the Jeep Liberty isn't such a good choice. Friend of mine has a Rav4, and it's nice, but not rugged enough looking for me. I don't want to get any bigger then that with an SUV, so my choices are more limited. Don't really know anything at all about the X-Terra.
Are you talking about the Forrester Suburu??
[/quote]

RAV-4 Limited isn't too bad looking. The latest models are not really not gender biased. The first year was really bulbous and looked girly.

Subaru Outback 2.5i, Forrester Sports 2.5x or I know a guy who has a Legacy GT sedan. That thing hauls. Even though it says 25 highway, with the AccessPort and an "economy map" you can get 28+ out of it. Then reset your map when you want to auto-x. With the economy tune you'll notice a drop in power, but it would still pull like the Mazda3. The Fit will probably be sluggish, based on what the other guys have said when they test drove one.

The X-Terra isn't spectacular on MPG, 16/21. It will have similar interior dimensions as the Liberty, possibly a little bigger storage area.

What is your budget? vehicle type (suv/car/truck)? MPG goals? Performance goals? Options?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wonder what the Patriot will do when it comes out soon???

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Budget: $17000-$23000
Type: Small SUV
Body: Rugged looking
CX7 looks too much like a wagon to me. For whatever reasons the Jeep seems to fit the body style I'm looking for.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any ideas :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:( :( :( :? :?

·
Registered
18 Posts
[quote author=greyzoomer link=topic=66501.msg1143227#msg1143227 date=1168472199]
Budget: $17000-$23000
Type: Small SUV
Body: Rugged looking
CX7 looks too much like a wagon to me. For whatever reasons the Jeep seems to fit the body style I'm looking for.
[/quote]

Wait for the Jeep Patriot this spring. If you want to get a feel for how it will drive you can test drive a Compass now, they should drive nearly identical. The interior will be almost the same size, but the Patriot will have a more "Rugged" interior like you say.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
[quote author=greyzoomer link=topic=66501.msg1143257#msg1143257 date=1168473433]
Any ideas :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
[/quote]

There isn't much else with that body style.

The Dodge Nitro... but that's about it.

You COULD wait for the Patriot, but if they can't fix the Liberty's issues in ~5 years... who knows how the Patriot will do. Plus, a FWD dominant 4x4?? Not too sure how that will do. Unless you don't care about 4wd/awd.

How about a Toyota Tacoma Double Cab? They're solid. I'd still be driving my Toyota Truck if I hadn't killed it (70mph into the end of a guardrail). And then, if I had the time and money to swap out the radiator and dizzy, it would have started back up.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
When me and my wife were in vegas we were going to get an economy rental but they were out and offered us a liberty and we drove it for five days. I would not trade my 3 for one of those peices of shit for love or money. SUCKED gas bad and did not have the takeoff like a v-6 should. It served its purpose and took a one and a half hour full throttle run with traffic across desert from L.A. to Vegas without keeling over but it just was not impressive, probaly better than the Aveo or whatever we could have gotten for an econo car though.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I think it depends on how "rugged" of a car you are looking for. Liberties and Grand Cherokees and Commanders are all unibody designs that die-hards basically will shun as being soft simply for the fact they're not body on frame (BoF) vehicles. Xterras, FJ Cruisers, and Jeep Wranglers remain steadfast with the traditional "body on frame weighs more but you get a better rugged vehicle" approach.

A few years ago, a body on frame Durango outperformed the unibody Grand cherokee... in combined evaluation (on road and off road), simply because Jeep hadn't worked out how to best utilize a unibody effectively. Assuming your tires aren't blatant 4x4 mudders most BoF are actually quieter inside for a given price point. Compare a unibody Toyota Sequoia to a BoF 4Runner and you'll see how the 4Runner just seems like a better ride (at a better price too).

Personally, if you just need a versatile off-roader and don't really want to keep it for 10 years, let me know and I'll send you a coupon to get a Liberty at like 4% below the invoice. Liberties are about to get replaced, with the new versions being way better than the outgoing platform. If you read that the forthcoming Liberty is "just the same as the old one with marginal changes" then you're reading a bunch o' lies.

But, if you want the most capable rugged mini-SUV that you can get today, I think you'll be hard pressed to pass on that FJ. Toyota just makes some perfect cars. it's freaky. Xterras are pretty nice too, although they are getting a bit dated as well. Don't bother with the Element, Rav4, CRV, whatever soft-roaders if you're valuaing any sort of ruggedness in favor of slightly better fuel economy.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:) Thanks so much for all the input so far.....it really helps! I'm still pretty undecided, but I do know I want a small suv that's rugged in style but also a decent one. Friend of mine has the Toyota Tacoma double cab. It's nice, but I don't want a truck. Anyway....thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
[quote author=greyzoomer link=topic=66501.msg1152535#msg1152535 date=1168974141]
Friend of mine has the Toyota Tacoma double cab. It's nice, but I don't want a truck. Anyway....thanks for your thoughts!
[/quote]

Put a cap on the back and cut a hole through the rear window! :p

I like the FJ Cruiser, if only it got better fuel economy than a H3. >_<

1 - 19 of 19 Posts