Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While reading an on line article I read that the 2.3 in Asia has 170hp and the only thing I can attest this too is a higher compresion ratio (according to the article its 10.? to 1 vs our 9.? to 1. Anyone have any ideas on how to get ahold of a J spec headgasket ?? I,m assuming they have higher octane in Japan to justify the compresion. I don,t mind running premium anyways , I get better milaege in my MR2 .

Taking delivery of Gt Sport 5sd end of March.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe so but the compresion ratio's are indeed different which would alone give the additional 10hp . I will contact mazda Japan and find out .

·
Registered
947 Posts
porkchop said:
Maybe so but the compresion ratio's are indeed different which would alone give the additional 10hp . I will contact mazda Japan and find out .
I don't think raitchison is saying that the compression ratios are the same or that it isn't responsible for the power difference, just that increassing the compression isn't the only thing you need to affect in order to obtain the extra 10HP. Most likely, the ECU is different in order to work with the increased compression. Which means you will not reliably get your inrease in HP just from a different head gasket, but also a different ECU and any other fuel/ignition management parts.

Throw in the cost of a head gasket job and etc, it doesn't look like a worthy method of obtaining a measly 10HP.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
LeeLee said:
porkchop said:
I don't think raitchison is saying that the compression ratios are the same or that it isn't responsible for the power difference, just that increassing the compression isn't the only thing you need to affect in order to obtain the extra 10HP. Most likely, the ECU is different in order to work with the increased compression. Which means you will not reliably get your inrease in HP just from a different head gasket, but also a different ECU and any other fuel/ignition management parts.

Throw in the cost of a head gasket job and etc, it doesn't look like a worthy method of obtaining a measly 10HP.
Well said, head gasket installation = $$$ There are cheaper and easier ways of getting another 10 horsepower.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
That 10HP gain can be done with an addtition of those short cold air intake :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts