Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
So i attempted to do the first oil change on my 09 MS3 since i have owned it and found out that my current jack is both to thick and the handle is to short to lift up the car...Im wondering what do you guys use as jacks/ramps for it?
I was looking at this:

It seems low profile enough for there to be no rubbing of the bumper on the ramp...but is it high enough for me to get under and do a simple oil change?

Thanks!

Registered
At that price point a jack and jack stands would be a much better choice as they would allow you to do more jobs like tire rotations, brakes). To answer your question 9 inches should be more than plenty of space unless you're more towards the really fat side of things.
My car is at stock height and if it comes down to it I can do an oil change without lifting it a single bit. Head is 56.5 cm around

Registered
Man, a 3" lift is really minimal. Go with a low-profile aluminum jack instead. Those ramps are cool and all, but the use is pretty limited. If you really want ramps, get the longer kind (or the 2-piece) to give you more lift. But still, if you want to jack up your car and remove your wheels, which is pretty common thing to do, then ramps don't work.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
On a tight budget, the $59 with a coupon 1.5 ton "racing jack" at Harbor Freight will do you just fine. Just be sure to get a set of jack stands along with it.
That looks great for the price!! Ill try that one, thanks a bunch!! Main thing i was worried about was that one, none of my jacks where low profile enough to get to the jack point in the front center cross place..and 2 the handle wasnt anywhere near long enough to jack the car up, hopefully this will do it all :D

Registered
It won't reach under and get the center. But really, you're supposed to jack the car up by the appropriate points on the side of the car anyway.

Jack it up, put the stand under it, take the jack to the other side of the car, rinse and repeat.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Gotcha, Just to make sure then (Only have ever used ramps in my life)..
I would use the hydraulic jack on the weld marks indicated on the front side of the car, lift it, and place the regular jacks to the side of the hydraulic ramp, and then take off the hydraulic ramp, and do the same for the other side?

Registered
How I do mine is, Jack on the pinch weld, near the weld marks, then place the jack stands under the weld marks.

Rinse and repeat on the other side.

Oh, and make sure you set the parking brake, plus chock the rear wheels!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts