Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
It's an option Fobby. If you haven't paid for it and have it installed then stop looking because it's not there. :?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Re: It's -27 degree celcius....Brrrrrrr

lol, pop the hood and lay on the engine, that might work, or set a hair dryer over it.
Fobby_Monkey said:
Do you know where your block heater is??

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Could always use a lighter on the bottom of the oil pan :D

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
You could also wrap an electric blanket around it, and can customize the temp to whatever you want :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
I was told that the block heater for the Mazda3 won't be available before February, as I did ask for it as an option. Price given to me was around 120$ installed.

·
Registered
168 Posts

Fobby_Monkey said:
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a "block heater" :?: and what purpose does it serve?? $120 doesn't seem llike much if it helps my car in any way.

Thanks,
Spencer

·
Registered
5,673 Posts

overkast said:
Fobby_Monkey said:
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a "block heater" :?: and what purpose does it serve?? $120 doesn't seem llike much if it helps my car in any way.

Thanks,
Spencer
It warms up the oil in cold condition so when you start your car in really cold weather, your engine oil is already at a decent temp and your car is easy to start. When it's real cold here, a few days per year, the engine oil becomes less fluid. That makes the starter, engine tougher to turn thus start. When the oil is not really fluid the first 1-2 seconds it's metal against metal in the engine until some oil get's to the head of the engine and is heated enough to offer proper lubrification....The battery has also less power because it's cold....and your car just can refuse to start.

You don't need that in Nevada :wink:

·
Registered
24 Posts

M3-GT said:
overkast said:
Fobby_Monkey said:

Thanks,
Spencer
It warms up the oil in cold condition so when you start your car in really cold weather, your engine oil is already at a decent temp and your car is easy to start. When it's real cold here, a few days per year, the engine oil becomes less fluid. That makes the starter, engine tougher to turn thus start. When the oil is not really fluid the first 1-2 seconds it's metal against metal in the engine until some oil get's to the head of the engine and is heated enough to offer proper lubrification....The battery has also less power because it's cold....and your car just can refuse to start.

Does the block heater plug into an outside source? Or does it run off the car battery? I'd worry if I diddnt drive my car for a few days and the block heater drains my car battery . . .

·
Registered
5,673 Posts

DedGuyWalkin said:
M3-GT said:
overkast said:
Fobby_Monkey said:

Thanks,
Spencer

Does the block heater plug into an outside source? Or does it run off the car battery? I'd worry if I diddnt drive my car for a few days and the block heater drains my car battery . . .
Not to the battery. It plugs directly into a normal plug on the wall. It has a 3 pin plug like anything that you plug in your house. An extension and an external plug box near where you park your car is best.

·
Registered
168 Posts

M3-GT said:
overkast said:
Fobby_Monkey said:

Thanks,
Spencer

Thanks M3-GT for the thorough explanation. I live near the Lake Tahoe area and it can get to about 9 degrees farhenheit (can't spell that word :? ) during the winter seasons. Is that not cold enough to warrant a block heater? I really don't want one if I can avoid it...especially if you have to plug it in to a power source outlet.

Spencer

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
fahrenheit- you just need to switch the "h" and the "r", and you got it :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
To be totally honest, I don't see the need for a block heater unless you've got a diesel motor, which would be impossible to start in the cold. If you've got an outlet to plug the thing in, it's likely you're in a garage anyway where the temperature is significantly higher than ambient outside. Add this to the fact that if you're running 5W motor oil it's gotta be DAMN cold to thicken significantly.

This option on the 3 is for people like Fobby_Monkey who lives in the far north of distant Calgary. :)

·
Registered
481 Posts
EnFuego138 said:
To be totally honest, I don't see the need for a block heater unless you've got a diesel motor, which would be impossible to start in the cold. If you've got an outlet to plug the thing in, it's likely you're in a garage anyway where the temperature is significantly higher than ambient outside. Add this to the fact that if you're running 5W motor oil it's gotta be DAMN cold to thicken significantly.

This option on the 3 is for people like Fobby_Monkey who lives in the far north of distant Calgary. :)
exactly...

·
Registered
5,673 Posts

overkast said:
M3-GT said:
overkast said:
Fobby_Monkey said:

Thanks,
Spencer

Thanks M3-GT for the thorough explanation. I live near the Lake Tahoe area and it can get to about 9 degrees farhenheit (can't spell that word :? ) during the winter seasons. Is that not cold enough to warrant a block heater? I really don't want one if I can avoid it...especially if you have to plug it in to a power source outlet.

Spencer
I don't have one but when it gets -27 Celcius at my country house, it would surely help. I have a driveway there and an external electric plug box but no garage. If it had came with the car I would use it then but that kind of cold generally lasts only 5-6 days per winter and the car is new. Don't see why it wouldn't start.

So wait. If you encounter a problem then it will always be time to have one installed. If the car starts (and it should at -9 F) then save your money. :wink:

·
Registered
290 Posts
EnFuego138 said:

You don't live in western Canada - if you did, you would get a block heater and quick. It's currently-34 here right now and with wind chill, its
-42. Starting a car in those conditions is the worst thing you can do to it regardless of what type of oil you running. If you are running the factory dino oil as apposed to synthetic (which doesn't thicken as bad), you are living dangerously with your brand new motor.
I've heard a few of my neighbours (who don't have the brains to plug their car in), start their car on cold morning and it sounds like it's running without oil - which essentually it is, at least for the first minute or so. I won't go into the details of how bad lack of lubrication is - I think we all know that.
If you live in eastern Canada, you probably don't need one as bad as we do, however, for $99, why would you opt out? Your car (and engine) will start easier, warm up quicker, and last longer - all those things are worth the price of admission. You guys in the east (and much of the US), don't know what cold is :wink:

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
True that you guys in the prairies have some hellish wind chill. If I would lived there and by the temps you are telling me then yes 100$ is nothing.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Growing up in Saskatchewan I know that a block heater was a must. Everyone had one, as well as a battery blanket (a electrically heated wrap around the battery). Plugging the car in when you got home was just a standard thing. When I moved to Ontario a couple years ago I thought, damn there's no where to plug in my car in my apartment parking lot. After the first winter I realized that people from Southern Ontario have a very different idea of what cold is. I still laugh when DJs say it's "very cold this morning" when it's only -10 C.
And windchill doesn't effect the starting of your car. It only makes it feel colder for people.

·
Registered
290 Posts
winningblue said:
Growing up in Saskatchewan I know that a block heater was a must. Everyone had one, as well as a battery blanket (a electrically heated wrap around the battery). Plugging the car in when you got home was just a standard thing. When I moved to Ontario a couple years ago I thought, damn there's no where to plug in my car in my apartment parking lot. After the first winter I realized that people from Southern Ontario have a very different idea of what cold is. I still laugh when DJs say it's "very cold this morning" when it's only -10 C.
And windchill doesn't effect the starting of your car. It only makes it feel colder for people.
when your car is pointing North and the wind is coming from that direction, wind chill (call it what you want) has a huge impact.

·
Registered
272 Posts
when your car is pointing North and the wind is coming from that direction, wind chill (call it what you want) has a huge impact.
From what I know the battery power is greatly reduced at lower temperature (actually all chemical reactions are like this), I didn't know the battery can sense the wind like human, learn new thing everyday...

IIRC, the Canada batteries are more powerful than European (75/80D26L vs 50D20L). I don't know about US.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts