Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008.5 MZ3 s Touring and I can't figure out how to get the radio to display the broadcast radio info (like song, artist, station call letters). I know I've seen this on an older Mazda6, which I thought had a similar head unit. Is it a bug, does it not exist on the new radio, or am I just confused?

While I'm here, I was very disappointed to find that the trick to display fuel economy stuff on the Touring radio doesn't work on the 2008.5. :(

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm not sure about the radio station information showing up, but I recently found out how to make MP3 CD files show text on the LCD. I have been trying all day to get my MPG Fuel Economy thing to show up also and have had no luck. :(

·
Registered
373 Posts
[quote author=SuperTrooper link=topic=136744.msg2951105#msg2951105 date=1235180217]
I wondered this for a long time and today I figured it out. I use iTunes, so thats what the instructions I'm about to give are for.

1. Create a playlist of songs that you want on the CD.
2. Highlight all the songs in the list (hold ctrl and click each one or edit -> select all)
3. Right click on any song, doesn't matter which.
4. Click on "Convert ID3 Tags..."
5. Under ID3 tag version select "v2.4"
6. Now burn to the CD and all the song names, artists and albums will be available to see on the LCD screen
6. It will ask for the Disc Format, select MP3 CD and click burn.

Once the CD is in the car, if you push in the Left Knob, it will change between song title, artist, album...etc

If you don't understand fully, let me know and I can try and explain it better.
[/quote]

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think so, but from what I've been reading, any mazda's from 06 and up have a secret combonation of buttons you press at different times and you can "unlock" this feature. I've tried on mine (2008) and have no luck. Press and hold AM/FM and CD while the car is off, turn the key to ACC. After the Hello message, it should say "DIS on". Turn the key off, and then turn the key back on and press (some say hold) the :00 button and it should show up where the clock is on the LCD screen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Apparently, they changed the radio midyear '08. If you have an '08.5, like me, then you can't do the MPG mod. Sadness...

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
^^ what color are your gauge needles? If they're orange then you have a '08, and if they're white you have a '08.5.

To the OP, no US Mz3's have RDS capability. Why? I don't know. RDS is available in some European markets however so I'm not sure why Mazda didn't make it available in the US.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Mine are orange, but all the tricks I have read on here about trying to get the MPG info doesn't work. I even did the part of unplugging the battery, but still nothing. No matter what I do, I can't get the "DIS on" text to appear... I wish there was a :icspot: for this type of thing.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=SuperTrooper link=topic=136888.msg2951706#msg2951706 date=1235196366]
Mine are orange, but all the tricks I have read on here about trying to get the MPG info doesn't work. I even did the part of unplugging the battery, but still nothing. No matter what I do, I can't get the "DIS on" text to appear... I wish there was a :icspot: for this type of thing.
[/quote]

On '06 and '07 models it worked on all stereos. I believe on the '08 model it only works on the 6CD HU. On '08.5+ models there are specific stereos with that feature which only come on the GT model.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yeah, I don't know. It would have been nice to get it working, but as of now it's not. I have not completely given up, going to try more tomorrow. Thanks for your help though. :respect:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Speaking of which, now I'm off the bicycle and on to a moped! Score!

Thanks for the info on my original question, icspots. I can't believe a radio that has the ability to display text for MP3s and whatnot doesn't have RDS. Silly Japanese...

And on that note, do you know if any of the direct ipod adapters will display the mp3 tags? Again, I think I'm limited in my choices with the new head unit.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts